IGNORED

Russell day long seat

Sean Knight

Sean Knight

Hello all,

The Russell day long seems to be the best option for an aftermarket seat based on my build and research. I just don't care for the look of the wings. I would be willing to bet I wouldn't mind the way they look so much after an all day ride.

Does anyone have one installed that can comment on the function-over-form aspect ?

I've had the Russell day long for several years now and like others have commented it looks like a tractor seat -- but it is comfortable. The stock seat killed me after 30 minutes. It is higher (thicker) so if you have trouble getting both feet on the ground when you stop it's going to be a problem.

The Russell has many fans- but.,,

Many seem to like the leather and extra care it needs- I am not one if those. I want a simple vinyl surface with no needle holes that can eventually allow water to penetrate into the foam underneath and I don't want to be bothered with covers. I also don't find leather any cooler on my butt in hot weather- in fact worse because it gets hotter in the sun.

Seats are like any other gear- a very personal choice. But here is some info on how I think about them.

The better leather ones come from Russell or one of the other CA guys depending on your preference. Some good vinyl stuff from Sargent in FL- built on new pans with storage compartments built in. Corbin, also. Then there is Kontour, covered with a durable fabric that provides some venting but might be tough to towel off when wet. And don't forget that many cities have a custom seat and upholstey shop that might be able to do a great job for you for less $. Most makers can work in any material but tend to do most of their work in one or the other...

I had a RDL built for my R1150RT in leather.

Russell will use any covering material you specify (or want to pay for).

It was probably the best money I ever spent on a saddle.

I've had several different ones from from Sargent, Mustang, Bill Mayer, and Corbin on different bikes. It is a matter of preference.

The biggest change you have to get used to with the RDL is sliding forward from the pocket to put your feet down, then sliding back when you take off. The wings are too wide to allow dropping you legs straight down. That is a small price to pay for the all day comfort the saddle provides.

With the RDL, out of all the things I thought about while riding, my butt was not one of them.

Now I've got a R1200RT that came with a Bill Mayer, as soon as I can locate a stock saddle with heat that I can send to Russell, the Bill Mayer will be for sale.

I own a Russell and I doubt I will ever own anything else. Nevertheless, here are the negatives:

• Because of its multi-contoured shape, you don't just drape a pre-stretched piece of leather or vinyl over it. The cover is stitched together to properly fit the seat's shape. That means you need a rain cover if you're riding it or otherwise exposing it to the rain (not temporary light rain, but anything capable of puddling in the seat's crevices). I live in WA. You wanna talk about rain? I keep the rain cover in the glove box, and can put it on in 10 seconds. Boo-hoo.

• The wings do require you to slide forward in order to straddle when you stop. And, when straddling the bike you will feel them against the back of your leg, about at the thigh/butt crease. Takes about a day to get used to both of these.

• It's not the easiest seat to use when hanging off during spirited riding in the twisties. But you learn how. Wouldn't put a Russell on a S1000RR, but on the RT, it's great.

• Because it truly has a built-in suspension system (not just foam on top of foam), it's going to ride a little higher than stock. About 3/4 of an inch. They can get this down to a 1/2 inch if you ask, but then you're going to have to rebuild it at 60,000 miles instead of 80,000. (no guarantees, but mine have gone about 70K before rebuild, and I weigh 248)

So, with all of this against it, why is it that the RDL is just about THE most popular aftermarket seat for BMW's? Why is it that more Iron Butt riders choose RDL than any other brand? Why is it that RDL owners will never own something else? Because while there are other brands that do a good job, and some that do a really good job, nothing, absolutely nothing, fits, feels and supports you like a Russell. Nothing.

Oh, and as for those wings making the seat ugly? True. But that seat is also the most beautiful thing my long-distance behind has ever seen. And since it exists, face-to-face as it were, with the seat, function before form works perfectly in this case.

You can buy another brand and be happy. Lots of good, talented seat makers out there. Or you can get an RDL and be ecstatic.

As always, YMMV.

The Russell day long seems to be the best option for an aftermarket seat based on my build and research. I just don't care for the look of the wings.

If you're able to see the seat while you're riding, I can tell you what a big part of your comfort problem is already . . .

malcolmblalock

I had a BMW Comfort Seat, and, while it was better than a stock seat, it was not much better. My Comfort Seat seemed to be the lowest of the seats (I use a RDL), but it was comfortable for only about 2 hours maximum before my butt began to get sore. I did one almost all day ride with it and was happy to arrive where I was going; my butt was screaming. I just rode from Pensacola FL to Raleigh NC (746 miles last Sunday) with my RDL, and my butt felt fine. Neck and shoulders tired, yes, and legs tired, yes, but butt was happy.

RDL is the best. No affiliation; just a happy customer.

Agree. Happy RDL rider. However, I wouldn't recommend buying the backrest. The way it fits on my 1150rt causes me to bascially sit on the tank. I asked them recently if they could modify the bracket in some way so it could go further back...No response

I think that thing was about $250 and for me.....useless. If someone has a modified mounting brackett...let me know.

Seat good, Backrest..not so much.

Sean - I have the stock, a Bill Mayer and the RDL. The stock and Mayer seat look great. The Mayer seat is certainly good for a 1000 mile day. But the RDL is good for several 1000 mile days. It only looks funny in comparison to the other two. If you only look at it, it's a fine looking saddle.

I'm in CT so if you'd like we can meet up and swap seats - let you try the BM & the RDL for a few hundred miles or so. Grab & early Saturday and ride half the day on the BM and the other on the RDL. Not as good as a few days but my butt won't let me give up the RDL that long :)

The stats: I'm 6'5", 250#, 34" inseam.

The stock seat sucks for me after 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. I bought a Sargeant because it didn't require a seat pan sent in. It gives me about 3 hours.

I rode someone else's RDL (from the same model year RT) to UN X while they trailered. I did a 500+ mile day and felt great after 200 the previous day. I rode the Sargeant the whole time up there then ran the RDL 500 miles back to FL comfortably.

My 2 cents? Buy the RDL. As soon as I have the cash and a carcass, I'm doing the same.

I have an RDL on my 1200RT and, to tell the truth, I have mixed feelings about it. I'm 6'1" and never thought my legs were short but I'm not at all comfortable with it when coming to a stop or stopped unless the seat is in the lower position (I've always ridden with the seat in the highest position on every oilhead and hexhead I've ever owned, even my 1200GS). On road trips it's great, but for local rides or day rides, I use the stock seat with an Alaska Leather sheepskin. I'm not sure I'd buy another.

if i understand correctly you have to ship in the original pan for a RDL seat, correct? my problem is my RT was shipped with the Standard seat 820-840mm and it is already a touch too high for my tastes (5' 11" - 32 in. inseam) so having the seat get 1-2 inches taller is not in the picture... i am stuck with getting the BM comfort seat which drops it back to 785mm or something like a low Sargeant seat where they supply the seat pan, etc...

unless someone else has a better idea.....

I am 5'10 with a 32" inseam. I picked up my RDL last October and rode the bike home, 2500 miles. At first, I was despondent; the seat was higher than the stock seat, which to me was a bit of a stretch. When I came to stops I was stiff and unsure of myself; I was also riding with my wife on the back and all our stuff. After a while I convinced myself I was not going to fall over, as long as footing was OK. Two things: slide forward in the seat and it will drop you 1/2" and you can put both your feet on the ground. The other: come to a stop with your right or left foot as an outrigger. When you stop let the bike lean slightly onto your foot. (Make sure you have good footing, not some hole or low spot) I practiced it and I don't have the issue anymore. I was putting my foot on the ground before I was fully stopped. Well worth the day-long comfort the saddle provides.

Larry

Sean Knight

Tewks, one of the members here, said I could swing by and check his out and as for a CT trip, Digger Jim, we are in. Lets hook up some weekend soon.

Tewks, one of the members here, said I could swing by and check his out and as for a CT trip, Digger Jim, we are in. Lets hook up some weekend soon.
You bet. Next weekend works for me. PM and we'll set up a meet.

BTW, I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam & use the RDL almost all the time. I do the 1 foot down style of stopping most time - it's the only thing that works for us vertically optimized folks when we want to try riding a GS type bike anyway. So, I downshift into 1st and put my left foot down with my right foot staying on the peg & rear brake. I lean to the left a bit to get solidly planted. If I want to do both feet down (pushing back, etc.) I can do that on the balls of my feet.

I also keep the seat on the high position on the front. I rode for a season with it on the low front position but found I slid forward when riding. With it up in front, I sit back in the pocket.

CYA Saturday :)

Effbee, just so I get this straight.. Are you saying you like the Russell Day Long seat!? ;-)

Absolutely! I've owned five of them. One on an old Suzuki. One on my first RT. Then on my FJR. Another for my 650 V-strom. And now on my latest RT.

One of the advantages of owning this many is that I've come to know both the positives and negatives. So I thought I'd talk about some of the latter. Some of those are nits; almost insignificant minor idiosyncrasies. Others, might be significant, such as it not being a seat for a canyon racers, or the extra height if you're short legged.

A seat is not inexpensive. Add to that it's a personal choice. Yet we speak of them in general terms, i.e. "I like mine so you'll like it, too." That's patently unfair. Yet how can we do better? Well, by discussing both sides, as well as tossing in our recommendations. I recommend the RDL, provided you understand the adjustments it's going to take. If you're good with those, then you'll likely find it to be a fabulous perch. The numbers attest to that.

Sean Knight

Wife and I went to go sit on Tewks's RDL and it is an impressively comfortable seat. Also, the wings were not as prominent as I thought they would be. They took much less away from the sporty lines of the bike, in person, than the pics I had seen on the net. Probably has to do with seeing the whole bike as opposed to focusing strictly on the seat.

We didn't get to ride on it, the station got a call while we were there and he had to go do whatever superheroey things firemen get called to go do.

End result, we are both sold on the seat.

I think I will try to find a stock heated seat to send him so I don't have to be without the seat (bike) for two weeks.

Sean glad you liked the seat, pretty sure you will not be disappointed. Sorry I didn't get to check out your setup. I know you've had gear suggestions already but here are two that are must haves IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10D-10-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Intercom/dp/B0087NAZM0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1366628660&sr=1-1&keywords=sena+smh10

http://gerbing.com/Products/Liners/heatedJacketLiner.php

Did you get to ride back south via Rt 40?

I was gonna suggest http://www.johnsonsdrivein.com/ but we were rudely interrupted by work. :grin:

Pat

Sean Knight

Hi TEWKS,

Thanks again for the hospitality. We must think alike. We got the Sena SMHs a week after buying the bike and I have been looking for an electric liner (The weather never did warm up yesterday).

We did take rt40 back...for a while (we tend to be more "I wonder where that road goes?" or "Lets head in a Northerly direction." kind of riders.)

Johnson's looks cool too.

Thanks again!

if i understand correctly you have to ship in the original pan for a RDL seat, correct? my problem is my RT was shipped with the Standard seat 820-840mm and it is already a touch too high for my tastes (5' 11" - 32 in. inseam) so having the seat get 1-2 inches taller is not in the picture... i am stuck with getting the BM comfort seat which drops it back to 785mm or something like a low Sargeant seat where they supply the seat pan, etc...

unless someone else has a better idea.....

One other option is to take your boots to a quality shoe shop and have them put taller soles and heels on your boots. I am not speaking from experience but have heard of it being done.

As far a the RDL...I have one on my RT and love it and will never do without. It is a little un-nerving tip toeing until you get used to it. I have converted four other people to RDL (all different brand bikes)and they are sold too.

I rode out to RDL company last year and had them make my seat. I haven't even thought about seat discomfort from day 1 with it. I'm tall with long legs and have no problem flat footing it. Even so, there's a little hitch forward thing you get used to as you stop. Every bike I have from now on will have a RDL, it's worth the wait.

Archived