IGNORED

Gerbings recall

DiggerJim

Description

This recall involves Gerbings and Harley-Davidson® black nylon, 12-volt, heated jacket liners. The jacket liners heat up when plugged into a vehicle, such as a motorcycle or snowmobile. “Gerbing’s Heated Clothing” or “Harley Davidson®” is printed on the front left chest of the jacket liners. The Gerbing’s jacket liners have model number JKLN and PO# 3796 and Harley-Davidson® jackets have model number 98324-09VM and GM32873, GM32874, GM34188, GM34189, GM34190 or GM34191. The model number, PO number and “Use only 12 Volts” are printed on a label sewn inside next to the jacket liner’s front zipper.

CPSC Recall Info

It appears the recall is on the products that were made in China for a short time. So long as your liner says made in USA and not made in China sounds like you'd be OK. I am lucky ... my liner and vest are both the microwire made in USA.

Not so lucky here. I called and they confirmed mine is part of the recall. They were very nice and emailed a paid UPS label and I sent it off this morning. They said they'd turn it around in 8 working days either repaired or a new one.

I am aware of the hot spot but never got burned by it.

It appears the recall is on the products that were made in China for a short time. So long as your liner says made in USA and not made in China sounds like you'd be OK. I am lucky ... my liner and vest are both the microwire made in USA.

You are correct, Ed.

Gerbings LLC was not the importer, manufacturer or seller of the jacket liners at issue. On November 27, 2012, Gerbings acquired some of the assets of Gerbing's Heated Clothing, Inc. The 12-volt heated jacket liners involved in this recall were imported by Gerbing's Heated Clothing Inc., from a Chinese manufacturer.

As a company, we are committed to ensuring our customers receive the highest quality and safest merchandise. Gerbings is taking the necessary steps to address the issue. To avoid future problems, we now operate out of an 88,000 sq/ft facility in North Carolina and we make all of our heating elements for 12-volt heated jacket liners in NC to ensure quality and safety. None of our U.S.-manufactured liners re subject to this recall.

To check if you have one of the affected liners, look for the tag on the vertical seem coming down from the left armpit. If it indicates PO 3796, then please call Gerbings at 1-877-242-5595 and they will provide you with the steps that need to be taken to have your jacket liner inspected and repaired or replaced. If the tag indicates a different PO number, then your jacket is not part of the recall.

Not so lucky here. I called and they confirmed mine is part of the recall. They were very nice and emailed a paid UPS label and I sent it off this morning. They said they'd turn it around in 8 working days either repaired or a new one.

I am aware of the hot spot but never got burned by it.

Greg, thanks for explaining how easy it is to comply with this recall. We're doing everything we can to handle this situation with speed and efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up that I got the jacket back yesterday. The paperwork says they repaired it. It's warm now so I may not try it for awhile. There are no signs of the repair.

Thanks to Gerbings for quick turnaround. Sent 4/23 and back to me 5/1.

I know there has been a lot of discussion in recent months about Gerbings and their products and service so I wanted to share MY recent experience. Without going into ALL the details I bought a Gerbings vest last October through the then Seattle customer service folks. The vest arrived and was too big. So after my trip for which I got the vest I contacted via e-mail the same person in Seattle. 2 weeks later they responded only to tell me they could no longer assist and the vest could not be re-sized but I may want to try the new NC location for help. The response was somewhat abrupt. So in Jan. I finally contacted the e-mail address on the website on a Sunday. To my surprise I got a response that same day and from Tom Nolan. He indicated he COULD help me and would send me a size smaller vest. I offered to send payment since this was MY mistake or return the vest I had that I had not yet used. Tom told me no payment was necessary and to keep my vest and simply return the vest that did not fit. within 2 weeks a new vest arrived that fit perfect. I returned the vest that was too big and am now a happy camper. I DID finally get to use the vest last weekend and it worked GREAT.

I know a lot of folks have had bad experienced with Gerbings but MY experience is they are really trying to do the right thing for the customer and seem to be going out of their way to do so! I am still a loyal Gerbings customer.

Gerbings LLC was not the importer, manufacturer or seller of the jacket liners at issue. On November 27, 2012, Gerbings acquired some of the assets of Gerbing's Heated Clothing, Inc. The 12-volt heated jacket liners involved in this recall were imported by Gerbing's Heated Clothing Inc., from a Chinese manufacturer.

Ummmm..... HUH?

Are we saying a group of investors formed Gerbings LLC which bought some, but not all, of the assets and operations of the company (Gerbing's Heated Clothing, Inc.) many of us have been purchasing from for years? And more importantly, are you saying that the recalled jackets were manufactured under contract to the original company and suggesting the current corporate owner of the name Gerbings is not responsible for manufacturing defects prior to the sale of the company?

As a company, we are committed to ensuring our customers receive the highest quality and safest merchandise. Gerbings is taking the necessary steps to address the issue.

To which "Gerbings" are you referring in this para? If Gerbings LLC, that would seem to answer the above question.

Archived