IGNORED

RKA Topper Bags

kltk165

Anyone using the RKA Topper Bags on an RT? Riding two up I'd like to move the rain gear outside the bags to free up some inner bag space. Not too worried about the added weight as I don't plan on adding a ridiculous amount to the saddlebags.

I don't have a pair although they look well made and I've seen other RKA stuff that did as well. My personal concern would be twofold. One, drilling holes in the existing bags for mounting. Certainly not a huge deal but, if you sell the bike at some time without the bags you'll have to deal with them. Two, you will have to remove the bags any time you want to access the side bags. Again, if you're OK with that and can plan your packing it may not be an issue. Seems like they have a lot of room. I hope someone with actual experience with the bags responds.

Topocase?

We sometimes use a Helen Two Wheels mesh bag strapped to our topcase luggage rack.

EZ access, helps the gear dry, keeps it separate.

If no topcase, might work on luggage rack.

Yeah, I have a topbox with a rack but it's so sloppy when you put much weight up there. So much that I wouldn't feel comfortable putting two rain suits, a bottle of oil and a few other things up there. Would the topbox break? Probly not, it just makes me uncomfortable the way it bounces around with much over the 25lbs BMW recommends. Not to mention my wife resting up against it too. Each of those saddlebag toppers would hold a rainsuit and a couple other things while spreading the weight out across the bike.

Regarding the drilling of holes, I'm not real comfortable with that idea. I asked RKA about some straps they were unsing during testing but they didn't recommend them. Was thinking about keeping an eye peeled for a set of lids that I would swap out when taking big trips that I wouldn't mind drilling a couple holes in. I don't know, I'm looking at all kinds of things. Thanks for the input guys...

Does anyone know who makes the bags this guy has for the top of his Vario cases? If you skip to 1 min 10 seconds you pick up where he's loading up the top bags. This system eliminates the need for drilling.

I'd suggest setting up a mock bag on each side and see how ez it is for your passenger to get on/off.

When we use our Upak it ersts barely on the saddlebags and create a whole new set of off/on logistics.

I've never heard of a properly installed OEM topcase "breaking" or failing in situations like this.

Excellent idea. Hadn't thought of that. Regarding the topbox breaking, as noted above, you're probably right, in all likelihood it won't, it's more a peace of mind kind of thing for me. And her.

I'd suggest setting up a mock bag on each side and see how ez it is for your passenger to get on/off.

When we use our Upak it ersts barely on the saddlebags and create a whole new set of off/on logistics.

I've never heard of a properly installed OEM topcase "breaking" or failing in situations like this.

Archived