IGNORED

Motorola announces Bluetooth FRS radio

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

Well, this could give you the best of both worlds in bike-to-bike communication, especially if you hate cords. Motorola has announced an FRS two-way radio with a Bluetooth interface, the MU350R.

very interesting and includes Bluetooth PTT. 35 mile range seems like a lot. Didn't indicate the output power. Now if someone will come up with a reasonable Bluetooth hub with priority selection and manual over ride I think we might be getting close.

Yes, good option for a lot of folks running FRS/GMRS. At bit more than average cost ... looks like retail is $149 but likely will sell for less. I would have considered that if I didn't also have radar. Went with the Sena SR10 .

Bill_Walker
Went with the Sena SR10 .

But the Sena SR10, IIRC, doesn't do stereo music. My GPS can do music, but I prefer to use my iPod nano because I can control it easily with an iJet remote mounted on my handlebar. Plus, I'm an iTunes user, and having to convert everything to MP3 before importing to the Zumo is a pain.

So far, I haven't seen a Bluetooth setup that will do everything I want: wired stereo music and mono radar detector, wired or Bluetooth GPS (zumo has a stereo-only output), and FRS with PTT. Of course, when I went to Torrey last fall, nobody I rode with was set up for bike-to-bike at all, so maybe it's become a moot point.

Ya know? I haven't follwed them in a while, but, this sounds just like the type of device that made J&M famous. They've made a lot of money integrating systems. If they're not, they should be on top of developing a solution such as this for Bluetooth users.

So far, I haven't seen a Bluetooth setup that will do everything I want: wired stereo music and mono radar detector, wired or Bluetooth GPS (zumo has a stereo-only output), and FRS with PTT. Of course, when I went to Torrey last fall, nobody I rode with was set up for bike-to-bike at all, so maybe it's become a moot point.

But the Sena SR10, IIRC, doesn't do stereo music. My GPS can do music, but I prefer to use my iPod nano because I can control it easily with an iJet remote mounted on my handlebar. Plus, I'm an iTunes user, and having to convert everything to MP3 before importing to the Zumo is a pain.

Hmmmm, so blame it on I-Tunes :). Yes, the SR10 doesn't do stereo. But, since I'm an mp3 user, I solved the problem with my 550 by adding a stereo BT transmitter to the stereo out. Works perfectly. Everything integrated into the headset with GPS, stereo music (mp3), radar, phone and I still do bike to bike. Don't know why its now out of favor as it can be real handy.

This tip is appreciated.

While the nearly 1 mile range of the best current headsets hasn't created any problems for the SO and me on our trips, increased range is always welcome and periodic electronics upgrades are part of the game. I'll be curious to see what the WBW guys think of it when they review.....I'm certainly a fan of the general properties of modern FRS sets, especially at their now low prices..

For many years I've given FRS radios to my track students so they can contact me from anywhere, anytime in the paddock to get answers to any immediate question they have..(The track I teach at most often until recently was in a dead area for most cell phones)....

According to the specs on webbikeworld, the Motorola radio only supports the Bluetooth headset profile. Many newer headsets use the hands-free profile instead, although some support both. Make sure whatever you plan to pair with the radio supports the correct profile.

I believe the 35 mile range is BS. It is a 1 watt radio and will probably be usable for a half mile under actual riding conditions which is ok when riding with a group. With better antenna, you could extend the range quite a bit.

Archived