IGNORED

What camping chairs do you guys/gals carry on your bikes?

Computerbob

Computerbob

I know most people go crazy about how the Kermit chair is the best, but I've seen some others out there that seem to be as good or better. Some that pack smaller, some that don't. Some that have a bigger seat, some that setup and fold up faster, etc etc.

My wife is leaning towards the Pico Chair that she found on this forum when Googling.

I also found the Blue Max chair which seems to fold up pretty small.

What do you all ride with? Why? How do you like it? Would you switch if you could? Why?

I have had my Pico chair for 4 years now. Never wanted to pay the price of the chair weither it was the Pico or Kermit which would be more when you add the leg extenion. The wife got a gift card from a drug rep at her work she did have anything at the time she was wanting. Let be use it for the Pico chair. My choice for the Pico was the compact size and full size chair when in use. I do car shows with my 1959 Triumph TR3A and the Pico was great for this due to storage size also.

Never used a PICO.

I'd want to see one so I could see what I thought of the potential durability of all those probably non replaceable plastic bits and riveted metal bits. As well as the tubing used.

The Kermit is old school for sure but both rugged and simple to repair if you somehow manage to damage it..

Adventure Poser to the white telephone please.

We use a sling chair.

2 of them weigh only 64ounces combined, weigh ( ;)) less than a Kermit.

But Steve (APoser) posted about some he got that looked like a great mc design chair.

Very light, small package size.

I just don't recall the brand.

:dopeslap:

Have you sat in a Kermit? I'd seen them around, and thought they were just more Beemer style extravagance, but I was sold the instant I actually sat in one. It's the only way to go (and that's saying a lot after 2 back surgeries).

It's the perfect height the way it is. Just set your beer on the ground next to you.

Pico sits better than the Kermit. I have both. Pico packs like a small freezer. I use the Kermit when I travel and pico for local shit. My pico broke after 5 yr. and to my surprise they sent me a new one, all they wanted was a serial number and a photo.

Adventure Poser to the white telephone please.

We use a sling chair.

2 of them weigh only 64ounces combined, weigh ( ;)) less than a Kermit.

But Steve (APoser) posted about some he got that looked like a great mc design chair.

Very light, small package size.

I just don't recall the brand.

:dopeslap:

Here you go... :wave:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=71008&Number=792776#Post792776

Helinox chairs fit nicely on top of my side case luggage liners. I'm sold on these chairs!

Alite Monarch butterfly chair.

I only camp from my little DRZ, so carrying anything bigger just won't work with my load carrying capacity.

3e7d4c28-b1af-4575-8474-e24e5cc553d5.jpg

Pico makes a couple of chairs, the more expensive version and the less expensive chair that does basically the same thing. I got the less expensive chair at a big box store for about $30. It is and was fine, but the only thing I didn't like is how much it weighed and how I had to pack it on the bike. Last fall I bit the bullet, went all out and bought the wider version of the Kermit chair with the leg extensions and cup holder. I have to admit it is much more comfortable, lighter and easier to pack around. The assembly is the only drawback and I consider it a minor inconvenience. So I have to say, I'm now a Kermit believer in spite of the cost.

If you do take the Kermit plunge, spend the extra money and get the wider version, it packs the same and is more comfortable than the original model IMHO.

I know most people go crazy about how the Kermit chair is the best, but I've seen some others out there that seem to be as good or better. Some that pack smaller, some that don't. Some that have a bigger seat, some that setup and fold up faster, etc etc.

My wife is leaning towards the Pico Chair that she found on this forum when Googling.

I also found the Blue Max chair which seems to fold up pretty small.

What do you all ride with? Why? How do you like it? Would you switch if you could? Why?

Kermit with leg extensions.

Pico weighs 9 LBs. Helinox weighs 2 LBs Kermit 5.3 LBs

Mark Mayo

Kermit rocks. Yes, it costs more, but is sits nicely and with the leg extension option you can go tall or short. I spent a L O N G weekend at Bluesapalooza in Mammoth in my kermit and was far more comfortable than my costco and other chair friends. It packs nicely in the waterproof bag I carry when camping.

SAAB93driver

At the end of a rally I've never seen a Kermit chair tossed in the trash pile but I've seen lots of other ones.

Bmr Deacon

I had been considering the purchase of a good camp chair when this thread came on the board. It was the basis and my incentive to get the research done. I sprung for the Kermit yesterday. I never thought I would drop $160 on a camp chair but what the heck. We only go around once. I'm looking forward to the first trip with the new "green" chair.

• 1 month later...
Computerbob

We ended up buying 2 Flex Lite chairs at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

We went into the local store and they happened to have a couple of the Alite Monarch's and a few others there. The Monarch's sat too low to the ground for us and it felt like it'd be difficult to get in and out of. It was even difficult in the store, I can imagine after a day of riding and then an hour of sipping scotch!

Anyway, these were $69 each which wasn't too bad considering the costs of others that we looked at. Also, they pack down smaller than a 2 liter bottle of soda.

We ended up buying 2 Flex Lite chairs at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

We went into the local store and they happened to have a couple of the Alite Monarch's and a few others there. The Monarch's sat too low to the ground for us and it felt like it'd be difficult to get in and out of. It was even difficult in the store, I can imagine after a day of riding and then an hour of sipping scotch!

Anyway, these were $69 each which wasn't too bad considering the costs of others that we looked at. Also, they pack down smaller than a 2 liter bottle of soda.

A lot to like in that chair for that price point. Light and small when packed.

Looks a lot like this one:

REI copied this design?

Yes, they do look like twins. I wonder if REI is having them produced by Helinox and badged as REI when they sell them? It wouldn't be the first time such an arrangement happened.

My wife and I have both a pair of Pico and a pair of Kermit. We just switched to Kermit. Slightly less comfortable but way more flexible for packing. If you are tight for space, Kermit wins over Pico.

Afternoon Bob

I realize you have already made your choice (actually looks like a good chair choice)

I have a little different take on camping chairs than most. I had a Kermit but sold it a few years back.

As of the last few years my chair of choice is an $11.00 ($6.95 on sale) WallyWorld folding camp chair.

Those seem to work out good for me as I wind my ground cloth around the outside of the folded chair & stuff my tent support poles inside the folded chair. It lashes right on top of my dry bag out of the way & travels just fine there.

The problem I had with the Kermit chair is what to do with it at the camp site. I never put my chairs away while leaving the camp site for extended day rides so there was always the possibility it wouldn't be there when I returned.

A few riders in my riding group have lost their Kermit chairs to theft the last few years so they scramble around stuffing their Kermit's in their tents or taking them apart & putting in the tent. We do camp at some remote places & when we leave about everybody from the riding group leaves so no one is there to keep an eye on things.

I just leave my old WallyWorld special out in the open & it has always been there when I returned. It might be a camp site or two away being used by someone but it has always been easy to find.

If it breaks I just toss it & buy a new one (actually I have a few extras as I buy them on sale just to have around).

Just one less thing I have to mess with or worry about at the camp site.

Lone_RT_rider
I refuse to pack a chair. The Holiday Inn usually gives me a perfectly good one next to the bed. :rofl:

Bingo! I used to camp at least once a year to remind myself how much I hate camping. I gave up on that strategy 5 years ago. :rofl:

Archived