IGNORED

Looking for ideas on less expensive seat improvements.

macx

Being a little wider across the beam than I used to be, and intending to continue taking long trips on my RT, I admittedly have let my mind wander out of the box about ways to basically widen the seat toward the rear without spending $500++. I'm pretty handy and creative and enjoy coming up with ideas that work without just throwing money at a problem.

I don't know if things like the various covers, i.e. sheepskin or air bladders, would really do what I'm looking to accomplish. I don't necessarily need it softer, I basically need it a couple inches wider on each side to make it function more like a saddle that spreads my weight out over a wider surface.

Probly silly, but one never knows without asking!

...........I don't know if things like the various covers, i.e. sheepskin or air bladders, would really do what I'm looking to accomplish. I don't necessarily need it softer, I basically need it a couple inches wider on each side to make it function more like a saddle that spreads my weight out over a wider surface ............

I use an Airhawk - it does exactly what you are asking for

Used correcty your backside should just be touching the seat and the displaced air in the bladder balloons out around you effectively increasing the the contact area between you and the seat. This in turn decreases the point loading, pressure on nerve endings and maintains blood supply

The other advantage of the Airhawk is that by partially taking your weight on the footpegs you can adjust it's fore and aft position. This in turn changes the tilt of your pelvis allowing you to ride for longer before the ache in your lower back sets in

Not to be contrary but... I don't think the Airhawk, or sheepskin or bead seat, will do what you are asking. OP macx want 2" wider on each side. That's a lot and I don't think the stock seat or any of the one-size-fits-all aftermarket seats will help, or even be able to do that with the help of mere upholstery. Maybe Russell Day-Long can give you that since their stuff is custom-built, but at a price. I have a Sargent on my 2011 RT and that gave me a little extra support in the wings but not too much.

I do like the tractor seat. At $39 it's a steal! Very stylish, too!!

pete

2 FOR THE TRACTOR SEAT!

Yes, 2" is a lot - maybe more than I'd need. I'd probly be happy with an inch more on ea side.

That air bladder comment was interesting - might have to think about it. At least it's probly not prohibitively expensive to try.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/90006022314"

Well just had to take a look.

Interesting and just might be worth $75 to give it a try.

seems like it would give some added width, maybe enuf.

Sooo - had to go measure. Looks like the stocker would probly go about 12" compressed with me sitting on it. So 14" just might be a cost effective improvement.

If I spring for it, I'll post what I think.

Thanks!

Not to be a killjoy but I tried every option out there before I finally went to a custom seat. I spent as much on things that didn't work (for me) as I would have if I just bought the custom seat in the first place so I ended up paying twice what I needed to. Tried beads, sheepskin, Airhawk, Wunderlich Ergo Low and some foam/gel seat pad (don't remember who made it). Nothing was good for more than 1K/miles in a day or more than 1 of those running.

Went to a Bill Mayer Saddles custom seat - really nice for all 1K & less trips. That's the one I keep on the bike now.

Got a Russell Day Long for long trips where I'll be racking up the miles for several days in a row.

My best advice is to find someone who has all of the things you're thinking of trying and borrowing theirs. Then rather than spending $50 or $100 to find that something doesn't work for you, you're able to find out what works or not and then buy what does.

Archived