IGNORED

Aerostich jacket back pad?

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

I just received my new Aerostich Darien Light jacket and was thinking about buying their back pad for it. I was wondering how many people that wear Aerostich jackets and suits have purchased and use their back pads?

Doug

elkroeger

The Mrs. has one. It was an ebay purchase. I forget how much we paid. I scored a Bohn (bohnarmor.com) back pad at a gear swap one time. It is quite a bit more burly, but it is designed to attach to the Aerostich velcro pads.

Neither of us has actually "used" them, but I'm sure every little bit helps.

peterbulgar

I purchased a Darien jacket last year and ordered an Aerostich backpad for it halfway through a long trip. It takes up a little bit of room, so if your jacket is borderline snug you may find it too tight. It wasn't a problem for me.

Peter, San Francisco

I have the Darien backpad for my jacket but found that when I was sitting on the bike it pushed the collar of the jacket up against my helmet. I fixed this problem by cutting a couple of inches off the pad. The pad does take up a little bit of room but the Dariens are pretty roomy to begin with. Also the pad is hot on my back and limits ventilation. Most of the time the extra protection is worth it.

pete

Interesting. I've tried to wear my Darien without the back-pad just for giggles and I found the jacket feels like a wet noodle without it. I find the space created by its use assists with air circulation.

The website webbikeworld.com just posted a review of an interesting product, the "Forcefield PRO" back pad. I haven't read the whole review but it looks like a winner with Euro level 2 protection and some ventilation. In the market for some improved back protection? Check it out.

pete

Archived