IGNORED

radio through blue tooth

greenrider

greenrider

I got some helmet communicators (uclear hbc 200).

I can talk to my wife, listen to music, talk on the phone but why can't I not listen to the fm radio on my smart phone(galaxy Ace).

I know the head phones have to be in because they are the antenna. And I have no problem with that. The head phones can be plugged in and I can get music through the head phones or the speaker on the phone but not through the Blue tooth.

Why?

And is there a work around.

I believe the phone can either output a line out (earphones) or Bluetooth. When you plug in the antenna that is also a line out the Bluetooth is disabled. I don't think there is a work around unless you find a different way of connecting an antenna.

... And is there a work around.

Yes. Pandora radio + cellular coverage + willingness to burn 60MB per hour of music, out of your data allotment.

As Mudman wrote, real radio only into headphone. OTOH, who listens to broadcast radio? I don't think I did in last 10 years. My choice for all vehicles, including bikes, is Sirius. Can't stand commercials.

szurszewski

Yes. Pandora radio + cellular coverage + willingness to burn 60MB per hour of music, out of your data allotment.

As Mudman wrote, real radio only into headphone. OTOH, who listens to broadcast radio? I don't think I did in last 10 years. My choice for all vehicles, including bikes, is Sirius. Can't stand commercials.

There are a lot of other radio apps apart from Pandora - "I heart radio" (which is not actually how the app is spelled, but you can find it) will let you stream actual on-air stations from all over the place - probably including your favorite local music stations from home wherever you are). Obviously you will need cell signal, but when on-road I find that is usually available even when I'm not in/near the big cities.

As for data use, with Pandora I find that I can listen for hours a day, days a week and not really do much damage to my data allotment. Another member here, when I first moved up to a smart phone, told me he streams Pandora during his 120 commuting minutes each day, five days a week, and even with that and all his other use of his phone doesn't ever get up to 2GB per month. YMMV of course, but worth considering.

As for data use, with Pandora I find that I can listen for hours a day, days a week and not really do much damage to my data allotment. Another member here, when I first moved up to a smart phone, told me he streams Pandora during his 120 commuting minutes each day, five days a week, and even with that and all his other use of his phone doesn't ever get up to 2GB per month. YMMV of course, but worth considering.

That's about right. 60MB x 2 hrs x 5 days x 4 weeks is just about 2GB. It's not big deal in general - new AT&T data plans in my area don't even go as low as 2GB - but, it's something one should be aware of.

Archived