IGNORED

Wanna do GPS, communication, mapping, FRS, etc better?

Camhead in STL

Camhead in STL

Meet Earl, the backcountry survival android tablet.

This looks ideal for motorcycle use:

• IR touch screen - glove friendly
  • E-ink display - daylight readable 6" screen (1024x768)
  • Front-lit - nighttime readable
  • IP67 - water/dust/shock/mud proof
  • Solar panel - integrated charging (plus can use USB power)
  • GPS - full GPS/GLONASS/WAAS compatible, with Everytrail integration
  • Bluetooth 4.0-pair with helmets, etc. (and ANT+ sensors)
  • FRS/GMRS/MURS radio - 20-mile two way radio for text & voice
  • AM/FM/SW/LW - a full-spectrum tuner including NOAA weather alerts
  • Weather sensors - temperature/barometer/humidty and anemometer
  • Preloaded topo maps - full 100K and 24K topo maps, use Route 66 or Google Maps for street mapping

Oh, and it's an Android 4.1 with 1GB RAM and 16GB flash (and microSD slot). Complete Google Play store.

I'm going to get the dimensions and stuff and start figuring out the best mount strategy, but wow, this is pretty cool.

To a gadget freak like me, it's a great toy! I like the idea of a rugged e-ink Android tablet.

Except that - from quick reading of specs - it may not be a good navigation tool. It sound like they are providing their own mapsets and there are no details on routing capabilities.

For an on-board computer, multi-waypoint route navigation is the must-have app. Not buying.

chrisolson

Since its an Android device, why not install NAVIGON . As a Garmin product, the maps are on the device, not dependent on cell phone connection or wireless.

I don't have any direct experience with the product, so it might not be a 100% solution for those who want to construct complex, multi waypoint routes. But still, looks quite good for normal travel and fills a gap in the basic device offering.

I don't have any direct experience with the product,
No one does. There is no product yet. It's a crowdfunding campaign. They've got a month to raise another $190K before they'll build it. You pay $249 now and they charge your card. If they don't raise the 250K they need by next month then they'll refund your money (although they've used it in the interim for final development, certification, etc so not sure where they'll get the money to pay for that if they can't raise enough to make their goal. If all goes well they'll send you a unit in August/Sept and you've saved yourself $110 (they're projecting a $360 retail price) and helped start something new.
chrisolson

Yep, aware of the crowd sourcing aspect of the android device. The product I was referencing as not having any experience with was Navigon ... a potential solution to the missing maps/routing function the previous posters had posed.

Camhead in STL

It's a full featured Android "tablet" so you'll be able to install any mapping you might want:

I've personally used Route-66 with a full US map download on my trip to Austin and it was fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

You can also use Google Maps and preloaded map tiles, but honestly I think some others are better (but it is free). Waze uses crowd-source maps, and is totally free.

Wow.. I can totally see this as a great bike companion. I love the fact that it's waterproof. I'd be real curious to see how easy it is to see the display..

Very interesting.. thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Camhead in STL

So, been doing some more research into Android mapping programs that offer fully downloaded maps. On Monday the Sygic GPS Navigator went on sale for $19 (North America, lifetime). I downloaded it and installed to my tablet and phone... works great, uses TomTom maps. That's probably what I'll use when Earl ships.

Archived