IGNORED

What gear, and why?

David Adams

David Adams

Looking for recommendations on riding gear. I don't have a bike now, but doing the research before one is purchased. I will be riding all year and probably for main transportation. Will not be racing but will go on long trips occasionally.

What jacket - warm weather/cold weather?

Pants?

Boots?

Gloves?

Helmet?

rain gear?

What did you choose? What made you choose this brand? Are you satisfied with your choices?

Thanks for any help?

David A.

Where do you live? What climate? Multiple elevations? Seasons?

Jacket - Olympia AST

Over pants - First Gear TPG

Gloves - Held Titan

Helmet - Full face (get the brand that fits your melon)

Helmet liner - SILK

Under gear - LDcomfort, UnderAmour

Socks - coolmax or any wicking material

Heated Gear - Gerbing when necessary

Cooling gear - HoonCooler

My outer gear is waterproof

Boots - SIDI Vertigo

Love all that gear and know it works in a get off. I learned a long time ago to buy outer gear that is waterproof, because it's a PITA to stop to put it on and take it off. Gauntlet gloves stay on in a get off and it pays to spend the money to protect your hands. Get pants that if you unzip the side you can take them off and put them on without removing your boots. Wear a helmet liner so your helmet doesn't stink.

Best of luck finding your bike.

Aerostich RoadCrafter 2pc suit.

Ideal suit to wear over the top of your normal clothing. Very durable and waterproofed.

malcolmblalock

My only advice is to buy quality stuff. I bought cheaper stuff to begin with, and came to regret it because it wasn't waterproof, it didn't hold up, and in the end, did not save me money. Get the good stuff from the beginning. If somehow you don't like it, you'll be able to get most of your money back as long as it's in good shape.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Motoport airmesh Jacket and Pants. Read the website and testing. Having experience with kevlar, I found it fairly credible and made sense.

I add a Gerbings jacket for winter but, only commute during that time and it would require something on the legs for a long ride in the sub 40-45 Deg F range.

Uses the liner system so is very waterproof to the rider. The outside is supposed to get wet.

Above 95 Deg F, it is only ok due to the large areas covered by armor.

Sidi rain boots year'round.

David Adams

Hi Kathy R,

I live in western NC, near the GA line, an hour south of Asheville. So I get 4 seasons, but rarely get horrible weather. Only a few days out of the years would be too rough for riding, but I guess I'll try to see for sure. Maybe I'm not so tough, lol. Really just want to ride, enjoy the experience, learn from all of you, share with my beautiful wife, etc.

Well, you just plain live in rider's heaven.

And it's muggy and can be pretty hot, unless you are at elevation, in the summer. You might want to get a mesh jacket too.

The Titans offer great airflow and I wear Aerostich 3 finger rain gloves over them if it's colder, or I put on the Gerbing heated gloves - but I doubt you'll need those.

In your climate I would avoid any cotton against my skin. It will act like a sponge and hold your own bodies moisture against your skin no matter the temp outside. Wear wicking fabrics against your skin and your outer gear won't have to work so hard.

Did I mention that you live in rider nirvana.

SIDI makes a version of the Vertigo boot for hot weather.

Have fun!

That is a very broad question. As long you get gear that will protect you, the rest is really personal preference and convenience based on what type of weather/riding you expect to be doing. I think most people end up trying several things before finding out what works best for them.

My current choices are:

Nolan N103 helmet because I want a flip-up, and Nolan fits my head the best.

Rev-it Tornado mesh jacket in hi-viz yellow/silver for hot weather because it has a LOT of air flow, 600D fabric, is very visible, and feels very comfortable.

FirstGear Kilimanjaro in HiViz yellow for cooler weather because the outer material is waterproof (many jackets have a waterproof liner, but the outer material gets soaked), is HIGHLY visible, warm, and the material is not as physically stiff as the Olympia AST (which I found uncomfortably stiff). I also like the new D3O armor, which is more flexible than standard armor.

Olympia Airglide pants because they let in some air flow in the heat, have a liner for colder weather, are easy to put over other clothes because of the full side zippers, and are comfortable.

Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex boots because they are the first motorcycle boot that I have found to be comfortable enough. They are waterproof, and have a lug sole, which I prefer. Until recently, I was wearing my full leather hiking boots because I could not find any motorcycle boots that fit me well, and were comfortable for walking around off the bike. The Canyons are expensive, but I think they should work well for me for quite a few years.

I like hi-viz, but the color fades with washings and like all light colored gear, shows road grim easily. Latest for me is a bright yellow Shoei helmet which seems to grab attention and won't fade.

Main thing is that it has to be comfortable to wear. I like the Olympus mesh gear with insulated liners although it takes a pretty big bathroom stall to get them off to take out the pant's liner when the day warms up or I'm getting into lower elevations.

------

Three season - Olympia Air 2

Winter - Heingarick (SP) leather

Pants? - Olympia Air 2 over pants

Boots? - Alpinestar sort of like the S-MX / Tech 10 mix - they don't make them anymore

Gloves? - Aerostitch

Helmet? - Arai and Scorpion

rain gear? - Yes, not sure the make

What made you choose this brand?

The clothes were chosen from cost vs quality stand point. The exception being the Olympia Air jacket - it was and is the brightest HI VIZ on the planet and I ride commuter traffic.

The boots were chosen after I dropped my bike and broke my ankle in multiple places. These boots provide crush protection as well as twist protection.

Helmet - I just switched to the Arai from Scorpion. Scorpion 700 was a good helmet but when it came time to replace it, the only helmet that truly fit my head was the Aria.

Are you satisfied with your choices? - Yes

Joe Frickin' Friday

For cold or even potentially cold weather, Olympia AST in hi-viz yellow. It's not as waterproof as I would like, but it does alright. The tradeoff is that it's extremely flexible with regard to temperature. There's a removable liner that makes it nice for temps below about 65F. For temps above 75, you can start unzipping various ports on the sleeves, chest and back to let a LOT of air flow through the jacket, making you reasonably comfortable well into the 80's. This is the jacket I wear when touring in spring or fall, when temps can be all over the place (30's-80's).

For mid-summer touring, I switch to the Olympia Airglide. There's a removable waterproof liner, so if it rains or gets cold, you can still get protection.

Both jackets offer good protection: elbows, shoulders and back have good impact armor and abrasion-resistant materials.

Pants?

Draggin' Jeans. Outwardly, these are ordinary jeans. On the inside, the seat and knees have abrasion-resistant fabric sewn in.

I bought mine large in the waist and long in the legs, giving me room to install impact armor. The result is a bit of a funny-looking fit, but it's comfortable, and cooler than armored overpants in hot weather. BMW's visco-elastic armor is pretty comfortable, and the knee armor also wraps around the lateral side of each knee, providing great coverage. I also sewed a zipper at the rear part of the waist band so I can zip it to whichever jacket I'm wearing. That helps keep the jacket from riding up, and also (I hope) would help keep my pants up in a get-off.

Boots?

Sidi Strada Tepor Evo. Water resistant (not officially waterproof, though I don't recall ever getting water in them), good heel/ankle/shin armor, and good retention. Don't know if they're still available, but I would look for something with the same features: waterproof, good armor, good retention (i.e. they don't pull off easily).

Gloves?

For dry weather, Olympia #340. Wrist strap means good retention. Soft impact armor in a lot of important places, as well as hard impact armor on the knuckles. Vent on the back helps get air in that can go up the sleeve of your jacket. That's a blessing in hot weather, but I've finally learned to cover it with tape in really cold weather.

My current pair is getting pretty old, and I've struggled to find a replacement. I bought a new pair several years ago (size large), but it seems their sizing changed, and they're slightly smaller than my weathered ones. This spring I bought an XL pair, and they're frickin' huge. Not sure what to do next.

For wet weather, I have another pair of Olympia "waterproof" gloves. Can't find the link on their website, but the back and wrist are hi-viz yellow. There is a retention strap and knuckle armor. My hands still get wet; I don't know if the gloves leak or if water is getting in from the wrist, but with heated grips, it doesn't really matter much. Since my hands get wet anyway, you may wonder what the point of wearing them is. In my mind, the only point is to provide crash protection during wet weather without having to soak/trash my prized #340 gloves.

Helmet?

Shoei, but that's just me. Helmet manufacturers all use different shapes, and you'll want to get whichever one is most comfortable for your noggin; that may or may not be a Shoei. I'm on my third one in 14+ years, and will most likely replace it with another Shoei next year.

rain gear?

I have a pair of BMW rain overpants that goes on over the top of the Draggin' Jeans in wet or cold (<60F) weather.

For the past 10 years, I have owned a BMW electric vest. It's been useful in cold weather, but never very comfortable (it was a bit too small), and of course it only warmed my chest/abdomen. Happily it died last fall, and I will be replacing it with a Gerbing heated liner, which provides (adjustable) heat to the arms as well as the trunk.

Are you a new rider as well?

Proficient Motorcycling should be on your list of "gear", as well as an MSF class.

Aside from that, +1 on buying quality stuff. Not only is it going to be better, but it will last longer and be cheaper in the long run. Although I will probably catch hell for suggesting this, I avoided some of the sticker shock by spreading out my purchases. I wore sturdy hiking boots, garden gloves and a Carhartt jacket for my first summer. It's not as good (or maybe not good at all), but I just plain didn't have the money. Quality gear doesn't necessarily mean expensive. Many people like Frogg Toggs for rain gear. I've never used them, but they probably make a good choice for occasional use.

Also, select bright colors. It doesn't have to be blaze orange, but avoid anything that resembles asphalt gray - it amounts to highway camouflage.

For the helmet, go to a reputable store in your area and have someone help you find a helmet that fits properly. Have him explain the differences, and what to look for. Try on everything they have. Wear each one for several minutes. And try not to look at the price tag. If the guy spends some time with you, and is helpful, don't go home and order the thing off the internet. He's working hard to find you the right gear and he deserves your patronage. :-)

I like hi-viz, but the color fades with washings and like all light colored gear, shows road grim easily.

I have heard that, and it may become an issue. But I have also heard that the materials and color are getting much better, and it doesn't happen as easily any more. I also had a recommendation to use 303 Fabric Guard to help keep the color from fading and make it easier to clean. I haven't had either jacket long enough to know if it is working, but we will see...

A lot depends on what weather you will be riding in. Although really, if you get high quality gear, you can't go wrong.

I'm using the following:

Jacket: Olympia Airglide (3, I think)

A decent jacket, although the collar seam tore loose after about 1 year. It came with an under-jacket that is waterproof and windproof for cold/rain use.

Pants: Motoport Air Mesh kevlar pants (best piece of gear I own.)

Boots: Sears zip-side leather work boots.

Gloves: Decent quality leather and mesh gloves for cool weather (First Gear I think, just get what fits.) and a pair of Olympia water-proof w/gauntlets for cold/rain riding.

Helmet: As mentioned, get a full face that fits and is DOT certified.

I don't have fancy under garments, and havn't yet needed them, but I tend not to ride more than 8 hours or about 500 miles in a day. For endurance rides, a lot of people use one of the various products w/out seams.

Decided to wear leather most of the time but ATGATT attitude, even for shorter rides. Once doing this wearing a light jacket and jeans just feels kinda exposed on the bike. Good gear, fitting trim and correct actually feels the best on the bike and you can build a wide latitude of climate options Buying quality stuff new is way beyond my budget however except helmet and gloves.

Jackets and pants, most picked up used or a closeout (i.e, just bought a pair of new with tags Komodo Pants for 45. (there are some size medium 34-36 on ebay right now) Bought one IXS jacket new with tags for 50, found different color one lightly used for 80, both older stock but even then retailed over 400. Vanson Spider Jacket used was 150 (new was 600+))

Textile cold and wet. Fieldsheer Aqua sport

Leather Jackets 98% of time, mix of solid and perforated, liner in/out or no liner. IXS, Komodo, Vanson (the most substantial ones) Teknic, AGV, Frank Thomas (less Substantial Construction)

Pants, Leather, solid and perforated BKS, Komodo, Fieldsheer, Hein Gericke, First Gear, Alpinestar ( the most substantial) Frank Thomas, IXS, Teknic (less substantial)

Suits, Best Komodo, Spyke, Motogp, less Fieldsheer, Frank Thomas

Boots, Best, Sidi Vortice, Side Crossfire, Good Alpinestar SM-X Gortex,(older), Oxtar Evo, Teknic, Gaerne Explorer, poor, Frank Thomas.

Gloves. All gloves prior feel inadequate after getting Held Titans. Scorpions Mangums were OK but wore out quickly, Five Gloves felt good, but in wet weather left your hands black. Also after the Helds, feel thin and lacking protection. Coldweather, Cortech,(mostly water resistant) and Fieldsheer (don't like them, textile water resistant, cold weather also) The cold/ rain gloves tend to have the fabric finger lining pull out when taking off and it is a PITA to get them pushed back down right when putting them back on.

Rainsuit (Will use Textile jacket above) Also have some First Gear over pants with liner that I have never worn. Have Nelson Rigg 2 piece pullover that feels uncomfortable after an hour of wearing it. I forget this and will sometimes use it still and then reminded why I don't keep it on the bike now. Moves around, bunches up, feels restrictive Best current option that keeps me mostly dry is Respro slick jacket and pants.

Helmet of choice is Shoei X-12. Liked the TZ-R but find once I got the X-12, the others don't get worn.

Then I wear base layer of long sleeve, long legs underarmor type compression gear. (Walmart has some for about 15 bucks each) Wearing this and layering offerings comfortable rides in winter and in summer.

Hope this helps.

NCS

russell_bynum

It really depends on your situation.

I went with an Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece as my primary gear. When it gets cold, I add a Gerbings heated jacket and whatever else I need under it.

I believe my current boots are Sidi...and they're just basic leather/goretex lined Sport Touring boots.

I'm wearing BMW gloves, but I forget which model...they're leather and fairly "sporty" looking with knuckle protection and a high gauntlet. I've got a set of BMW winter gloves for when it's cold.

I wear a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet which is much cheaper than the Schuberth', Arai's, and Shoei's that I've owned in the past, but honestly I'd wear it even if it was as expensive. I find it comfortable, and it has all the features that I want. My only gripe is that the face shield changing mechanism isn't as easy as Shoei. (I could and often did change my Shoei faceshield while sitting at traffic lights with gloves on...it was that easy. The Scorpion is quick, but there's more fiddling so I haven't been comfortable doing it at lights.) The anti-fog faceshield is an especially nice feature.

That setup works well for me and I like the fact that the Roadcrafter is easy on/off and because it's all one piece I'm not tempted to dick around with multiple different jackets, pants, etc. What I've got is what I've got.

Where the roadcrafter really falls short is in two scenarios:

1. Extended heavy rain

2. Extreme heat (or heat/humidity) at low speed.

Rain: On my R1100RT it had to rain pretty hard for a long time before I had any real issues. But on Lisa's R1100RS and especially on my Tuono, the suit gets waterlogged relatively quickly in a heavy downpour. I live in Socal, so that's not generally a problem. If it was I would probably wear a rainsuit over the roadcrafter or look for something more waterproof.

Heat at low speed: I've worn the Roadcrafter at 116F across the desert and it's as comfortable as anything's going to be in those conditions. It vents pretty well and you've got a fair amount of control so you can use evaporative cooling vests, etc and then manage the airflow well. But...at low speed you don't get the airflow and it doesn't breathe like mesh gear would, so things can get pretty hot in there. Humidity, of course, compounds the problem. If I needed to be able to ride slowly in the heat, I'd probably have some good mesh gear for that.

I'll also say that a bunch depends on your own personal tolerances. I find that I do fairly well in heat as long as I've got some airflow. I've ridden out in your area in the summer months and as long as I'm moving, the heat/humidity didn't bother me. Some folks reach for the mesh gear as soon as it gets over 80 degrees.

Conversely, I don't do well in the cold at all. I'm layered up and running the Gerbings on max while some of my friends still have their vents open. It's all about what you're used to I guess. :)

I've got leathers and race boots for the track (though I wear the same helmet and gloves) and an assortment of dirt gear for dualsport/dirt, but that's my setup for street riding. At this point I'm doing very little street riding...when I do it's the occasional commute (120 miles round trip) and Saturday/Sunday afternoon outing. But I wore the same stuff when I was doing 24-28K per year commuting and riding all over the country, so I've definitely had a chance to figure out what works and doesn't work for me.

Definitely buy good stuff. With the only exception being my "cheap" Scorpion helmet I've always regretted buying cheap gear and never regretted buying the good stuff. The good stuff generally works better, is more comfortable, more versatile, and lasts longer.

WRT helmet, go

here to link UK site SHARP

for test results etc.

May surprise you that some $$$$ helmets dpon't do as well as some $$ helmets do.

Get stuff that fits.

As posted, where you ride can influence what you where.

We get true cold weather and 5-6 mos of hot weather.

Can't wear same gear in teens and over 100, IMO.

Lighthiker90

I chose the Olympia Nomad with the hi-viz stripe. It has some hi-viz but it's not over the top. Huge vent panels along with liner and rain liner. I have not tested in the rain. Rode in this morning and it was 36F. I was warm. I have also had it in 82F with all vents open and I was very comfortable as well. HJC-CL16 full face helment with pin-lock insert. DOT & Snell rated. Not the most expensive but it fits my head so nice. It's noisy though. I wear Bates leather riding boots. I am still working on the riding pants. I currently wear jeans. I am really happy with the versatility of the jacket. I will look to Olympia for pants as well.

moshe_levy

Many good ideas here, and I'd particularly second the idea of buying good gear up front, and boning up on safety material (books, classes, courses, etc.).

I'm fairly lucky in that I get to try and test gear quite often writing for the various magazines. I settled on mainly BMW gear because I find that it's well made and fits me well. So at the moment I'm pretty much dolled up in mostly BMW:

Spring / Summer / Fall:

Jacket: BMW Airshell with all available optional NP Protectors

Pants: Motoport Kevlar Mesh

Boots: BMW Allround (best boots ever tested: Sidi Onroad, which will replace these BMW boots soon)

Gloves: BMW Allround, BMW Airmesh, or Alpinestars GP Tech Leather (depending on weather and where I'm going)

Helmet: Currently a Shoei Multitec - looking forward to an Arai replacement!

Winter:

Jacket: BMW SG3 with all available optional NP Protectors

Pants: BMW SG3 or Motoport Kevlar Mesh (depending on how cold it is)

Boots: BMW Allround (see Sidi note above)

Gloves: BMW Pro Winter 2

Helmet: Same Shoei - same desire for an Arai!

I try to read up on riding well and TRY (though not always successfully) to take at least one course a year to blow out the cobwebs.

There IS a difference between quality gear and bargain basement gear. You feel it in the quality, in the weight, and you see it in the stitching and the design. This is not the place to save money. Get the good stuff up front, instead of winding up with a closet full of this and that which doesn't really do the job.

-MKL

Joe Rocket Phoenix for warm/Tourmaster Transition for cooler/cold have also ridden jacketless (omigosh!!!)

Pants?

Whatever I'm wearing for the day,....jeans, khaki's, etc. Have even worn shorts on some rides (omigosh!!)

Boots?

Xlement Brown Harness boots, combat boots, sneakers (have done sandles on occasion)

Gloves?

Icon, Scorpion, Lowe's leather, none

Helmet?

Scorpion EXO-900/Schuberth C3

rain gear?

The Joe Rocket has a rain liner/Tourmaster is rain rated and for pants in the rain, either ride wet or stop to put on military issue gortex

I haven't seen anyone recommend these but the best boots I've had are Dainese TRQ Tour Gore-tex boots. They're a hair cheaper than the comparable Sidis but have an ankle hinge that allows for fore/aft movement (like you do for walking) but not side/side flexion (like when you break your ankle.

No break-in required, comfy out of the box. With pants over them they don't look like you just came off the track. With Gore-tex I haven't had wet feet in rain or heat. There's an expandable bellows in the back that allows for thick socks in winter and think socks in summer. The rear entry zipper is good for getting into (just lean your leg forward as you slip your foot in.

Hi Kathy R,

I live in western NC, near the GA line, an hour south of Asheville. .

Dave....give me a shout when you get your bike. I live about an hour south of you. Go up your way often....Bob

David you are close to Tellico Plains, TN, the other end of the Cherohala skyway. Go see Mike at the Tellico Motorcycle outfitters Linky.

He has multiple lines of motorcycle gear and he always gives you a good deal.

Alan

Matts_12GS
David you are close to Tellico Plains, TN, the other end of the Cherohala skyway. Go see Mike at the Tellico Motorcycle outfitters Linky.

He has multiple lines of motorcycle gear and he always gives you a good deal.

Alan

+1 on Mike, he's been great to deal with.

-Aerostich Darien Jacket & Pants. Versatile stuff that works in a variety of weather conditions. Cordura/Gore-Tex fabric that is very tough (and therefore protective in a crash) and precludes the need for extra rain gear. I've been down the path of using rainsuits and I'm not a fan.

-Gerbing heated jacket liner . . . for when I need it.

-Silver Eagle evaporative cooling vest . . . not used often, but nice on hot days.

-Firstgear Mesh suit for hot, hot, hot days.

-A variety of gloves, but favorites are the Elkskin Ropers from

Aerostich. Not really motorcycle gloves, but tough and supple.

-Nolan N103 helmet. I really like flip-ups and Nolans are high-quality helmets that are not crazy expensive.

-BMW Gore-Tex boots. About a million years old, but comfortable and well made. Not sure what they currently sell.

-Don't forget wicking underwear. Makes riding in all conditions more comfortable.

Anyone's choices are going to be unique. Aerostich stuff is fairly popular among folks here. It's part of the "uniform" (:grin:), but also a good choice for its durability and protectiveness.

If you're starting out, you may want to look for used stuff or at least consider less expensive alternatives. I really like most of the stuff from Firstgear, and they tend to be more reasonably priced than comparable items from the big-name companies. Also, a lot folks like Motoport (my one experience with a custom-sized item from them, admittedly years ago, was not good, but many feel that they offer very good quality and value).

Lone_RT_rider
-Firstgear Mesh suit for hot, hot, hot days.

Otherwise known as the 4 months of summer here in the Carolina s. :)

My only advice is to buy quality stuff. I bought cheaper stuff to begin with, and came to regret it because it wasn't waterproof, it didn't hold up, and in the end, did not save me money. Get the good stuff from the beginning. If somehow you don't like it, you'll be able to get most of your money back as long as it's in good shape.

That what I've found too, because riding gear that works for 99% of the population may still not work for you. Besides your own dimensions, it helps to know if you tend to be hot or cool, if you have a big fairing in front of you or not, etc.

I tend to be more sensitive to heat, so I like breathable fabrics and VENTING! Now that I'm on a GSA and no longer behind the big RT fairing, I'm far less hot in the summer. But the hottest of summer in the mid-atlantic below 2500 ft requires me to wear mesh. I'm REALLY happy with what I have now (though I still have a few items in the closet to sell):

Warm weather/cold weather Jacket ... Revit Sand (use electric liner for winter)

Warm weather/cold weather Pants ... Aerostich Darrien Pants.

For positively HOT weather ... Olympia Cargo Jacket & Pants

Rain gear ... First Gear 2-piece rain suit (only carry when I'm using my mesh gear)

Gloves ... Held Airstream Gloves (gray). Really cool, but most importantly feel great. I don't believe these are produced anymore. Revit H2O for cold & wet.

I have recently worn the Sand/Darrien Pants in relative comfort at a humid 93 degrees. So, I now expect to use the mesh gear far less often.

Boots: Sidi Discovery

Helmet: Arai Profile (long oval for the Nogginator!). I'm about to pull trigger on the Arai XD-4 for dual-sport riding

Rogue_Trader

Second those who say buy quality. I may have a different twist. I am not a BMW fanboy, but I have found that every time I have bought something cheaper, I should have bought the BMW gear. So I wasted money on something I didn't like. The BMW gear looks better, works better, IS better. Spend the money up front and you will be happier in the long run. I call that an investment, not an expense.

Archived