IGNORED

HID dual element H4 headlight vendor?

Quinn

New bike uses H4 bulbs and I've discovered that you can get two element bulbs--low beam is HID and high is halogen for instant bright.

Can anyone reccomend a good source for a reliable ballast and wiring harness? I've enjoyed not having to feel around and ding my hands up on the RT since I changed it over to HID and would like to replace the lamps on the new bike after the bulbs burn out.

-----

I would not buy any type of HID conversion kit.

Read this link and you should feel the same way.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I automatically question the source when they have a link to their own products on the same page as the reasons not to buy other products.

In some cases, like my former R1100RT, the HID conversion was a major improvement...not perfect, but the improvement to the low beam was amazing.

Sorry Quinn, no good link to what you are after.

I automatically question the source when they have a link to their own products on the same page as the reasons not to buy other products.

In some cases, like my former R1100RT, the HID conversion was a major improvement...not perfect, but the improvement to the low beam was amazing.

SO you deny the science that HID bulbs belong in HID housings?

I had a very different experience with it.

Ny Ducati had HID bulbs in the stock housings when I bought it. Thery didn't work worth a damn.

I went back to the Halogens it was designed for and it was an improvement.

I later replaced the stock Halogen projector with a HID Projector. That was another improvement.

There are other links on the web talking about the dangers of putting HID bulbs in housings that were not designed for them.

I hope yours don't burn you bike down. (Which can happen)

Many thousands of motorcyclists disagree. Not all of the kits work exactly within the parameters of the original lens/reflector/focal point design but, most do.

Many thousands of motorcyclists also put car tires on the bag of their big bikes.

Would you?

If so, please tell me where you are riding so I can ride somewhere else.

Matts_12GS
New bike uses H4 bulbs and I've discovered that you can get two element bulbs--low beam is HID and high is halogen for instant bright.

Can anyone reccomend a good source for a reliable ballast and wiring harness? I've enjoyed not having to feel around and ding my hands up on the RT since I changed it over to HID and would like to replace the lamps on the new bike after the bulbs burn out.

-----

I had one on my last 11RT. Went about 35K miles without an issue on it. I'll see if I can find the links to it when I get home.

SO you deny the science that HID bulbs belong in HID housings?

I had a very different experience with it.

Ny Ducati had HID bulbs in the stock housings when I bought it. Thery didn't work worth a damn.

I went back to the Halogens it was designed for and it was an improvement.

I later replaced the stock Halogen projector with a HID Projector. That was another improvement.

There are other links on the web talking about the dangers of putting HID bulbs in housings that were not designed for them.

I hope yours don't burn you bike down. (Which can happen)

I don't know where you get that I deny the "science" that HID bulbs belong in HID housings. I said I'm skeptical when someone has something to sell. I then gave a little personal anecdotal information...just as you did.

I ran with the HID conversion in my 1996 R1100RT for about 125,000 miles. The only maintenance required in all that time was replacing a ballast that started to fail after over 100,000 miles of use.

I made the decision to install the HID on my bike after reading several post on this website where members had performed the conversion and were pleased with the results.

As for a bike burning down...can't say I've ever heard of such a thing. I did several google searches and found a few links mostly of second/third/twentieth?-hand anecdotal variety.

Many thousands of motorcyclists disagree. Not all of the kits work exactly within the parameters of the original lens/reflector/focal point design but, most do.

None of whom are automotive lighting engineers--like Stern--of course.

And, the fact is NONE of the "kits" work within the parameters of the original lens/reflector/focal point design because it's physically impossible. And it's obvious NONE of the "kits" are designed by optical engineers. It should be obvious, too, that if all this were possible the companies that make HID burners would sell the "kits," too. None do. Not even for cars, where they could sell up to four burners to the mechanically challenged.

You know Karlfitt, I had a lot more faith in that guy before noticing that he was hawking two of the same bulb number--one with a vertical filiment and one with a horizontal. So much for light output pattern imperative.

I also call b.s. on the "illusion of more light". My experience with HID is that it lit up objects down the road better than stock and that's an illusion I can live with.

Last is burning down my bike. Since the HID is lower wattage, we're talking about less heat, not more.

Nice that you're a desciiple, but it's a little too much cool-aid for me to drink.

Meanwhile, back at the topic. Thanks Matt, I appreciate your help.

------

Camhead in STL
Can anyone recommend a good source for a reliable ballast and wiring harness?

I have nothing but good to say about DDM Tuning motorcycle kits. I have the dual 55W in my 2011 RT, and you DO have to aim down a little from halogen, but the light is MUCH better. In my setup, I'm running a 6000K bulb on the left side and an 8000K bulb on the right (picks up deer and sign reflectors MUCH better). The ballasts and wiring are lifetime warranty (and I've had no issues), the bulb replacements are $15 per pair.

I also installed the same kit on my Mazda 5 (cage) and it is much better there.

One warning, these are direct-shipped from China, so it does take a while for the orders to process.

Matts_12GS
Can anyone recommend a good source for a reliable ballast and wiring harness?

I have nothing but good to say about DDM Tuning motorcycle kits. I have the dual 55W in my 2011 RT, and you DO have to aim down a little from halogen, but the light is MUCH better. In my setup, I'm running a 6000K bulb on the left side and an 8000K bulb on the right (picks up deer and sign reflectors MUCH better). The ballasts and wiring are lifetime warranty (and I've had no issues), the bulb replacements are $15 per pair.

I also installed the same kit on my Mazda 5 (cage) and it is much better there.

One warning, these are direct-shipped from China, so it does take a while for the orders to process.

This is pretty much the same kit I did on my 1100 in 4500K. It was great.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Many thousands of motorcyclists also put car tires on the bag of their big bikes.

Would you?

WTF? Karl, thanks for your analogy that doesn't border on the preposterous, it vastly exceeds it. Do refuse to cross the street because you saw a blackbird?

Karl, those of us who are allowed to exercise our wit and critical judgement when reading recognize crap, hyperbole and general BS when we see it. Hurry up, HSN has some specials on right now.

You know Karlfitt, I had a lot more faith in that guy before noticing that he was hawking two of the same bulb number--one with a vertical filiment and one with a horizontal. So much for light output pattern imperative.

I also call b.s. on the "illusion of more light". My experience with HID is that it lit up objects down the road better than stock and that's an illusion I can live with.

Last is burning down my bike. Since the HID is lower wattage, we're talking about less heat, not more.

Nice that you're a desciiple, but it's a little too much cool-aid for me to drink.

Meanwhile, back at the topic. Thanks Matt, I appreciate your help.

------

Really,

This is one of the dangers.

Unfortunatly I am unable to find the video of an HID bulb exploding in a Halogen reflector, so here is a little E-how about the heat.

HID stands for high intensity discharge and means that an electric arc inside the headlight bulb is the source of light as opposed to a heated filament as in standard bulbs. The electric arc burns at a higher temperature and gives a bluer, more intense light.

Read more: How Do HID Auto Lights Work? | eHow http://www.ehow.com/facts_7770063_do-hid-auto-lights-work.html#ixzz2TJegiC6v

I am glad you actually got HID bulbs to work in a housing not designed for them.

I had different luck.

But still wouldn't put an HID bulb into a housing not specifically designed for them.

Many thousands of motorcyclists also put car tires on the back of their big bikes.

Would you?

WTF? Karl, thanks for your analogy that doesn't border on the preposterous, it vastly exceeds it. Do refuse to cross the street because you saw a blackbird?

You think preposterous, I think correct.

As I posted to someone else here. The HID bulbs run HOTTER, not cooler than halogens. They use a different technology which is why the run at lower wattage, not lower heat. That is where one of the dangers come from.

Again as I posted elsewhere, I can't find the video of the HID bulb exploding in the halogen fixture.

I will look for it when I have more time.

But yes, the possability of burning your bike down is there unless you not only upgrade the bulb, but put it in a housing specifically designed for it.

Just because my point of view is different from yours, doesn't mean I am overstating the danger here.

Karl, those of us who are allowed to exercise our wit and critical judgement when reading recognize crap, hyperbole and general BS when we see it. Hurry up, HSN has some specials on right now.

Can anyone reccomend a good source for a reliable ballast and wiring harness?
While Karl argues about the wisdom of doing this and others disagree, you can also check out FutureVision (dot com) for their kits. I've had HIDs on my RTs for years and my aging eyes see the difference - a lot more light thrown further down the road. Here in the Northeast (bambi breeding central) it's good to have extra light when you're riding at night.

Just make sure you aim your lights appropriately (which you should do regardless of halogen or HID lighting). Most bikes are setup incorrectly - you'll want to be sitting on your bike so the suspension is compressed and have someone help mark your target wall as you dial in the correct drop-off for the headlight.

..... Since the HID is lower wattage, we're talking about less heat, not more.

.....so here is a little E-how about the heat.

HID stands for high intensity discharge and means that an electric arc inside the headlight bulb is the source of light as opposed to a heated filament as in standard bulbs. The electric arc burns at a higher temperature .........

Do not confuse color temperature with heat.

HID's consume less wattage & thus produce less heat.

1 watt is 3.41 BTU's.

A BTU is roughly the heat produced by a wooden match.

Do the math.... HID at 35 watts vs Halogen at 55 watts.

Which has the greater BTU generating potential?

What's up with the blub color choices and which one is best?

HID_poster.jpg

The color is dependent on the temperture of the arc inside the bulb. The higher the temperature the more blue it appears with purple/violet at the extreme ends of the scale. Lower temps yield a white on down to a yellow.

I thought 5000k was the best for me...nice bright white, with no blue tint.

The problem with the scale is that bulbs can differ even though they might be labled as the same color.

Archived