IGNORED

Schuberth C3 with Polarized Glasses

U-Turn

I have a Schuberth C3 which has the drop down sun visor. Works great except I recently got new glasses with polarized lenses. Now when I put the visor down the view is definitely not as sharp as before, seems "cloudy", if you know what I mean. So I rarely use the visor now, which does not make me happy. Wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar scenario using polarized glasses and if there are any workarounds on this, short of getting my old lenses back. I don't know much about polarized lenses, I assume they are all pretty much the same, but maybe not. Thanks..

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Sounds like it could be a mismatch between the angles of the grooves that make the polarization.

Sounds like it could be a mismatch between the angles of the grooves that make the polarization.

Are you referring strictly to the angles within the glasses themselves or the glasses and the visor?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

within the two sets of lenses. I remember trying to put two polarizers on a camera long ago and did not get clear shots.

My issue is similar but with older Schuberth S1 in combo with non-prescription sunglasses. Certain colors become kaleidoscopic and very unnatural to the point of major distraction. Root cause is the main clear visor since I use the drop-down tinted visor only when riding directly into the sun. My solution is simply to use non-polarized sunglasses. Hooray, twin cataract surgery a few years ago resulted in no longer needing prescription lenses! :Cool:

My polorized sun glasses give me rainbows through the windshield and odd color shifts with the reflections on some surfaces.

-----

My feeling is that polarized lenses and motorcycling do not mix. The polarization turns a shiny spot on the roadway into a dark spot so that I cannot distinguish between an oil spot and an asphalt patch. Yes, tilting my head will change the appearance, but there are too many other things to watch to spend my concentration on unnecessary double checks.

Guest Kakugo

Don't know if they are available in the US but French group Essilor (they invented the Transitions photocromic lens together with PPG) recently a launched a new lens called "Pixel" (marketed under their various brands) which promises the benefits of polarized lenses without the issues.

It's actively marketed as a product to be used by drivers in "poor lightning conditions" and to people working in environments where glares could be an issue.

I am personally tempted to get a pair, though I'd also love to buy a new Arai this year. Decisions decisions... :)

My feeling is that polarized lenses and motorcycling do not mix. The polarization turns a shiny spot on the roadway into a dark spot so that I cannot distinguish between an oil spot and an asphalt patch. Yes, tilting my head will change the appearance, but there are too many other things to watch to spend my concentration on unnecessary double checks.

I've heard similar things regarding the use of polarized lenses. With oil, water or ice spots you won't see the glare reflected off. Hence don't perceive the hazard.

If you don't see the shiny spot, how would you know when to tilt your head?

If you don't really understand how polarization works, read THIS wikipedia article (you can get the idea without doing all that math). Scroll down to the photo of the car window. It looks splotchy - which is likely to be the same issue you're having.

There isn't a fix. Use non-polarized glasses, or skip the visor.

Polarized glasses also don't work well with some digital dash displays. I can deal with the color blotches through the bike's windshield but don't like the odd roadway effects that could present safety issues.

Polarized glasses may be good for some things (beach, boating) but riding and driving aren't among them, for me.

BTW, when I got my recent Rx for glasses (bifocals with near and far correction) I had the doc write a mid-distance correction for the lower part of the lens so I could read the dash displays on the RT and my car better. Tougher to read a map or menu but I ain't getting trifocals.

pete

pete

I just got a reply from the Schuberth rep. He claims that polarized glasses will not cause a cloudy view thru the sun visor. Suggested I remove and clean with soapy water per the manual. Most likely accumulated dirt on the anti fogging layer. I'll give it a try.

Its the clear visor, IMO, rather than drop-down sun visor at issue. I only use the secondary visor when riding into rising or setting sun. So if I have polarized sunglasses on, it will create problems viewing through my S1 clear visor. Just say'n...

areyouolsen

Polarized lenses are a no-go for me, unless I'm fly-fishing. They're great for seeing fish through water, but with regard to digital displays or compatibility with other "lenses" (such as windscreens, windows, etc) they're a distraction & debilitate sight. We were actually prohibited from flying with them in military aircraft.

Polarized lenses make everything look "wet" and fresh to me.

All those old oil spots, etc, look like they just happened.

No go.

YMMV

Me neither. The pair I have make evey car window look like a rainbow. They're great as long as you don't look at or through glass, plastic motorcycle windshields or gas pump LCDs.

Archived