IGNORED

R1200RT trickle charger ???

gimme789

Hi -

I recently bought a used 2008 R1200RT. The battery has gone

so low the bike will not start.

This does not surprise me, as I figured it may need a new battery.

But my question is this ... even with a "new" battery, does this bike need to be on a trickle charger when not in use ?

I ask, because, the book stated something to that effect. Something about the on-board electronics draining the battery.

And while on the subject, is the BMW trickle charger easy to use ? IE - just plug it into one of the on-board electrical sockets ?

TIA

Guest Kakugo

If you use your bike at least once a week for, say, over thirty miles and the battery is new and good, you have no need for a charger.

Even if I use the bike regularly I "top up" the battery once every three months or so. It cannot hurt. :grin:

As per charger... common consensus is the BMW charger is grossly overpriced. Its main selling point was the ability to charge straight from the accessory sockets.

I said "was" because now there are alternatives like the Optimate 4 Dual Program.

Otherwise just bolt a lead with a fuse to the battery terminals like I did and use a regular trickle charger.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Otherwise just bolt a lead with a fuse to the battery terminals like I did and use a regular trickle charger.

+1. My bike ('09 RT) actually came with this attached. It's just long enough for the plug to barely stick out between front and rear saddle. The plug is the universal 2-pin plug, same as what's on a Battery Tender (which is what I use to keep it charged up through the winter).

Bike will be fine without a charger even after a 2-week interval; don't worry about electronics wearing it down. For winter storage though you definitely will need a charger.

Welcome on board gimmie... the answers above are all correct but there is important work to do first.

You need to find out IF your bike has only the standard battery wiring or IF some prior owner thoughtfully installed alternate wiring.

Your bike has what is known as CANBUS. It is a computer controlled area network that looks after the low voltage circuits on the bike. IF you plug a "regular" battery charger into one of the sockets... (note: those are the European sized Powerlet sockets... not the old cigar lighter sized) sockets/plugs)the computer will not let it charge correctly.

SO, you need to poke around the battery first. Look to see if there are additional wires that lead to an aftermarket fuse box, or perhaps wires that go directly to an added socket.

Figure that out first... then decide if you want to get a battery tender sort of device.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am not sure whether I will get a trickle charge or not.

I do believe I need a new battery, as I think it was the original battery in there.

I do have another question now ........

I have read in other forums where after installing a new battery that these two items may need to be performed :

There are two things that may need to be set after disconnecting the battery:

1. Throttle Position Sensor - after reconnecting battery - turn key on and run the throttle to the stop and back slowly a couple of times (motor NOT running), then turn key off

2. 02 Sensor calibration (questionable)- Start engine and leave it idling for 10 minutes without touching throttle

Does anyone know if this needs to be done on a 2008 R1200RT ?

I can not find these in my handbook.

Thank you

Evening gimme789

No 02 sensor calibration on your BMW. The fueling adaptives will automatically re-lean as you ride.

You should do the TPS re-learn though. --After battery connect, just turn key on, then fully open the throttle twist grip all the way (you don't need to do it slowly or in any special way). Technically you only need to fully open then close it once but twice won't hurt.

There is a write up in your riders manual on battery replace about doing the TPS re-learn so you might read your riders manual.

Peter Parts
snip

Bike will be fine without a charger even after a 2-week interval; don't worry about electronics wearing it down. For winter storage though you definitely will need a charger.

I seem to recall doing the math a few weeks ago on another thread based on stats from Dirtrider and it turns out to be closer to 4 months than 2 weeks.

If the battery is old, just chuck it. If you keep the bike a few years, you'll need to do it at some point in that stretch, so do it now and never again... eh.

If you want to feel empowered as a biker, learn about suspensions and electronic fuel injection and don't fuss with plug-and-play rituals.

Ben

Thanks for all the replies.

I am not sure whether I will get a trickle charge or not.

I do believe I need a new battery, as I think it was the original battery in there.

I do have another question now ........

I have read in other forums where after installing a new battery that these two items may need to be performed :

There are two things that may need to be set after disconnecting the battery:

1. Throttle Position Sensor - after reconnecting battery - turn key on and run the throttle to the stop and back slowly a couple of times (motor NOT running), then turn key off

2. 02 Sensor calibration (questionable)- Start engine and leave it idling for 10 minutes without touching throttle

Does anyone know if this needs to be done on a 2008 R1200RT ?

I can not find these in my handbook.

Thank you

Just my $.02 ... get a battery tender or Optimate ... hook it directly to the battery and just plug in when ever the bike is in the garage. Cheap insurance at about $40!

clip---

But my question is this ... even with a "new" battery, does this bike need to be on a trickle charger when not in use ?

I ask, because, the book stated something to that effect. Something about the on-board electronics draining the battery.

And while on the subject, is the BMW trickle charger easy to use ? IE - just plug it into one of the on-board electrical sockets ?

Morning gimme789

Well there are a few ways to look at battery charge intervals on the 1200RT.

The basic (BMW spec) parasitic drain on the 1200RT (key OFF) is 2.5 mA. If the bike has the factory alarm then add .8 mA (alarm off) or 1.4 mA (alarm armed).

The above doesn't take into account other add on's like additional brake lights or other battery direct accessories.

There was a service bulletin from BMW on stored 1200RT bike battery charging. -- With a DISCONNECTED battery they (BMW) recommends charging once a month (storage temps between 41°f-60°f).

Obviously storage at higher ambient temps would lower the time period between charging.

Also, not disconnecting the battery would lower the times between charging due to the patristic draw present.

The bulletin goes on to NOT recommend using a standard (non canbus) charger without disconnecting the battery first (but a lot of us 1200RT owners ignore this recommendation without any issues at all).

The bulletin also says to NOT use any chargers that have a desulfation cycle or that ever exceed 14.4 volts DC output. (this is an important warning to heed).

On the BMW trickle charger question-- The BMW (canbus) battery charger is relatively easy to use but has some specifics. Like it won't work if the basic battery voltage is below 7 volts. There is also a key cycling to get the onboard socket to recognize the charger hook up.

Price wise & hook up wise you are probably better off getting something like a Battery Tender Jr. that is Gel battery rated then, as mentioned in the posts above, do a direct battery hook up pig-tail.

Regarding "key cycling to get the onboard socket to recognize the charger," while I've now lost the instructions that came with mine I can't recall seeing this requirement in them. It's not in my owner's manual, either.

And, I can hook up my BMW charger and not do this and it will cycle through all the lights, i.e. indicate charging and then indicate done.

It's certainly not as if turning off ignition key severs all connection between the socket and the computer, as of course then the delay shutdown wouldn't be possible.

Perhaps I should use my multimeter to test before and after values to check whether anything is happening with my approach.

Afternoon Kent

Whatever works for you so long as it charges correctly.

In any case there was a BMW service bulletin on PROPERLY hooking up a BMW can-bus charger.

I won't post the entire bulletin here as it is proprietary to BMW & I don't have the permissions. But here is the meat & potatoes part--

can-bus charger,click here

"Important Service Bulletin---

Proper procedure for charging your Installed battery for all CAN-BUS BMW Motorcycle Owners

1. Turn the ignition of the motorcycle to “ON”.

2. Connect the battery charger to the “On Board Socket” first,

then connect the charger to a 110 volt outlet.

3. Turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position."

Archived