IGNORED

R1200GS with GPS Prep

decorbin

Anyone know how the pre-installed GPS mounts work on the new GS? The mount is keyed to the ignition key, and I assumed the mount cover would come right off when you turned the key, but it does not. The release button on the side of the mount won't push in to release the cover. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Tks.

Got the answer. There is another lever on the left rear. You insert the key and turn it, pull the left lever and push the right lever, then the cover pops off. It is part of the locking mechanism that holds and locks the GPS in the cradle.

Nothing special about the bike. Looks about the same as the last GS I had. The air intakes and radiators are visible from the front, but other than that, no big deal. You do quickly notice the power increase and the transmission is a lot smoother than all other BMW's I have owned. The big negative is the lack of aftermarket stuff available for it so far. I have searched for in-stock risers, but none are available. Finally ordered some from Wunderlich, but BO's with no set delivery date. Most accessories are BO'ed at the dealer as well. The stock GPS mount location works for me because I am 5'8", but taller people find it obscures part of the tach. Somewhere a guy from the UK posted a video review of the bike which included his helmet cam ride on some narrow roads ridden aggressively. Can't remember where I saw it, but his comments mirror my impressions. It is the best BMW I have owned, and I've had a bunch of RT's, R11-12R's and a couple of GS's over the years. My wife rides an F800St and it is her fourth BMW. I doubt I will ever get her to move away from it.

Archived