IGNORED

Autocom Active Plus-Duo intermittent

blackyam

Hi. My wife and I use our Autocom Active Plus-Duo as an intercom only. It's not wired to bike power, but uses the 9V battery option. On the last three or four outings, the Autocom has been working intermittently. I've ensured fresh batteries. I'm not a techie, but is there something (easy) I can check on the unit or is this a lost cause? TIA.

If this is a lost cause, what are my options for a good, reliable replacement that would be simple to install and is not very expensive? Wireless or wired. We both use Shoei Multitec helmets. TIA again.

---John.

If you remove the battery you'll see that the wires leading from the battery connector terminate in a white connector that's plugged directly onto the circuit board. It's simply a push on connection. It's possible that, in the course of changing the battery, the connection has pulled out a bit. The connector (long flat white strip) pushes straight down onto the board. You may also want to check the connector at the battery. The female side of a 9v connector can become bent and make poor contact with the battery as well. Both simple to check. Good luck.

Kakugo and Albert, Thanks for your responses.

Kakugo, I've emailed Autocom using the link you provided. I'll wait to hear from them. Thanks.

Albert, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that the connector is properly seated. Do you know where I may buy a replacement connector? Radio Shack maybe? I guess I'll check Radio Shack because I could not find a replacement part on Autocom's website.

Finally, in case I do need to replace my system, what do y'all think about the Cardo Scala Rider TeamSet Pro?

Thanks again.

---John.

My guess would be Autocom would be the only source (it's liable to be proprietary). It could be something simple like a wire pulled from the connector that any electronics repair person should be able to fix. Hopefully it just needs to be pushed back on and you're done.

My guess would be Autocom would be the only source (it's liable to be proprietary).

Thanks, Albert. Do you (or someone on this board) have a link to the battery connector on Autocom's (U.S.) website in case I need to buy a replacement?

It could be something simple like a wire pulled from the connector that any electronics repair person should be able to fix. Hopefully it just needs to be pushed back on and you're done.

I hope so, too. I'll look into it. Thanks again.

---John.

Hi. An update.

Steve at Autocom replied to say, "Check all of your cables and see if you can replicate the fault by moving/twisting the headset cables. Hopefully this will highlight a faulty cable which can easily be replaced"

I did that and also removed and reinserted the battery connector on the circuit board. My wife and I tried it in the house. It seemed to work ok for the few minutes that we tried it. We'll have to wait for our next ride to know for sure, but that may not be so soon.

I also asked Steve about buying a replacement battery connector if that were needed, and he said, "Sorry John but the Active is a discontinued unit so you won't find parts information on the website. We can supply these battery connectors from the UK, They are priced at £6 plus delivery. To order them online www.autocom.co.uk you would need to request this item in the 'Additional Order Details' on the buying page.

They have no part number, just describe them as 'Active 9V connector'"

Does anyone here use an Active Plus-Duo, but not the battery connector, and would not mind selling the connector for a couple of bucks plus postage?

Cheers.

---John.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone. An update.

I jiggled all the wires as suggested by the Steve at Autocom, and I also removed and reseated the battery connector on the circuit board as suggested by Albert. Last week I took a 700-mile trip with my daughter, and yesterday a 2-hour ride with my wife, and the Autocom worked well both times. I hope this lasts. Thanks y'all for your help again.

---John.

Archived