IGNORED

'05 RT Odyessy battery install

hopz

My second battery in the life of my '05 RT was getting weak so I changed it out rather than worry about it. Contacted Batterystuff and went to the mail box to pick up the new one. honestly, those guys are that fast and the price was good too.

The Odyssey seems to be some small increment shorter than the OEM and the clamping strap was not holding it in as securely as I would like. I tightened the small loop in the strap with the pliers and also put a pad of self sticking foam under the strap to take up the slack.

Wondering if there have been other solutions to this...

and... the angle brackets seem a bit tall to me. Any comments on that aspect?

Aussiegazza

I recently put a MotorBatt into my R1150RT and it is an even worse problem.

Having 4 possible connection points for the terminals, combined with a mounting strap that is at the front of the battery instead of the middle, means that the battery strap is very loose.

I cut a piece of 1/2" thick plywood to the 'footprint' shape of the battery and slid it between the top of the battery and the fuel tank.

Problem solved.

Just read the next post and realised that you may mean the 'L' terminal brackets. I had lost mine as I thought the sexy ones with tapped holes would suffice. Made my own L brackets out of a heavy duty brass door hinge. Its exisitng bolt holes are even good to use if you get a bracket that has 2 holes in a straight line.

The Odyssey seems to be some small increment shorter than the OEM and the clamping strap was not holding it in as securely as I would like. I tightened the small loop in the strap with the pliers and also put a pad of self sticking foam under the strap to take up the slack.

Wondering if there have been other solutions to this...

That's the typical method - or at least something similar. I use a piece of closed cell foam the size of the batter top. It's not sticky so I can pull it out but it covers the whole top of the battery so it also helps prevent accidental shorts if I were to ever drop a wrench on the positive terminal since the Odyssey I had didn't have a positive terminal shield to put over it. You can also do the same with a piece on the front of the battery if it's not quite as snug front to back as you'd like.

and... the angle brackets seem a bit tall to me. Any comments on that aspect?
Do you mean the L connectors that give you some real estate to tie in other wire connections to the battery? You can trim those if necessary but I haven't had an issue with the ones I have although they're from a year or so ago so they may be a different mfg for those now with a slightly different height. The full foam top shields them anyway for me.
moshe_levy

I had an old rubber car mat lying around. I cut a bit for the top to take up slack there under the bracket and put another bit behind it to take up the rest of the slack in the housing. Easy-peezy.

genesisxe16.JPG

-MKL

Looks like we all come at the same problem using our "Field Engineering" skills.

Thanks for the ideas.

I went to the local cycle gear and bought a cheap plastic number plate for a dirt bike and cut out a piece to fit under the battery, works great lasts along time.

I saw a solution to the Odyssey battery fit on either this site or the BMWMOA site that I used to install an Odyssey 680 battery in my 2009 RT. You get two small pieces of 1/2 inch rubber hose and put one piece under the strapping bar where the strapping bar screws in and put the other piece of rubber on the opposite side. It holds the battery in place snugly without too much pressure on the battery. You don't have to bend or alter the strapping bar in any way. I'm not sure where I saw this, but there were pictures and it was easy and cheap. Hope this is helpful.

Archived