IGNORED

BMW R1200GS vs. BMW HP4 at the Circuito de Almer

John Ranalletta

Ahhh! It's nothing but a cunning BMW marketing ploy.

The guy on the HP4 was holding back...or couldn't ride worth a crap LOL !

That tears it, I'm buying a new one. :grin:

Was gonna say you may not be happy going back to 2007 but, if you can still ride like you were going back to the Futura, ;) you need this bike! :thumbsup:

Pat

That tears it, I'm buying a new one. :grin:

Was gonna say you may not be happy going back to 2007 but, if you can still ride like you were going back to the Futura, ;) you need this bike! :thumbsup:

Pat

I dunno, you'd have to ask someone not so biased.

Ahhh! It's nothing but a cunning BMW marketing ploy.

The guy on the HP4 was holding back...or couldn't ride worth a crap LOL !

Those who own/have owned a GS or G/S get it.

When I owned both an R100RS and R80G/S, the G/S was my go-to twisties bike.

Check some old photos and you'll note the very narrow "clip-on" handlebars of earlier racers have given way to somewhat wider bars on today's WSBK and MotoGP bikes. And, BMW has not offered bars as narrow as Airhead RS bars since. Wider bars are lots more confidence inspiring and take lots of the work out of cornering, especially transitions.

Bikes like the S1000RR and the racers noted have to have narrower bars simply for high speed aerodynamics and you'll likely never see a stock GS doing 200 mph as it may just be physically impossible to hold on.

But, all that power does is make the racers faster on straights.

The one guy so far in our local club that's transitioned to a water-cooled GS raves and raves about the speed and power.

steveknapp

I've owned a GS, still have my Uly, and own an RR.

I watch this and don't get it. The GS was a blast in the twisties, I get the bars and the like. But also don't see the HP4 pulling on the GS on corner exits and straights like I would expect. If all this was true, on a track, they would race GS's and not HP4s...

On the street I know the bike is moot. I know I'll get passed by a good rider on a GS except during acceleration.

Matts_12GS

I watch this and don't get it. The GS was a blast in the twisties, I get the bars and the like. But also don't see the HP4 pulling on the GS on corner exits and straights like I would expect. If all this was true, on a track, they would race GS's and not HP4s...

On the street I know the bike is moot. I know I'll get passed by a good rider on a GS except during acceleration.

Only thing that makes sense is that either the bike is neutered with the ride mode, think, maybe rain mode while the GS is in WFO mode, or, the RR has toasted tires and just keeps sliding

Guest Kakugo

I see your point and agree wholeheartedly. Something's weird here.

I got literally murdered at the local track riding an outdated (ten years old) sportsbike. You can patch it up a bit in the twisty bits but once things get fast and raw engine performance and traction becomes critical, a modern sportsbike has no rivals (well, except for the Aprilia Tuono V4 :grin:). My bike had more power than the LC GS and was considerably lighter, yet I got blown to kingdom come by those new GSX-R1000's (and the S1000RR is faster).

Not at 200 mph.

But, look up a description of this track ... http://circuitodealmeria.com/index.php?sec=circuito

60% of its length is straightaways, but there are 13 curves in 2.5 miles, so the straights aren't long.

Plus, the majority of the curves aren't sweepers but rather nearly switchbacks. Good stuff for torque.

mapa.png

Antimatter

Unless they dubbed the sound, the HP4 wasn't using any traction control. That alone tells me that the HP4 rider was sandbagging.

The GS is a great street bike, but you don't see big traille bikes in WSBK. Even on short-track stuff, as long as there aren't any jumps, a sport bike will thrash just about anything else, provided the riders are of equal ability.

Kent,

I still stand by my earlier comment.

And as far as "old photo's" goes, I'm prolly in some of them mate LOL! I built Café racers in the 60's back in the Old Country and also club raced a Norton Manx 500.

IMHO, bike for bike and with equally skilled riders, the GS (125hp at 7,700 rpm and 92 lb-ft torque at 6,500) would have a hard time outrunning that HP4 (190hp at 13,000rpm and 83 ft-lb torque at 9750 rpm).

Lone_RT_rider
Hey guys this is advertising. Since when did advertising have anything to do with reality!

BINGO!

Matts_12GS
Hey guys this is advertising. Since when did advertising have anything to do with reality!

BINGO!

Now, If Chris or Ken were on the GS, it'd be a different story... that RR wouldn't be on the same lap...

Lone_RT_rider

BINGO!

Now, If Chris or Ken were on the GS, it'd be a different story... that RR wouldn't be on the same lap...

That depends if there are sweepers on that track (which there are). I can't get Chris to do over 70 in a sweeper. Which by the way, is the same speed he does in the tight stuff too! Uhg

Matts_12GS

BINGO!

That depends if there are sweepers on that track (which there are). I can't get Chris to do over 70 in a sweeper. Which by the way, is the same speed he does in the tight stuff too! Uhg

two up, playing with the GPS...

Lone_RT_rider

Uhhhhh yep!

Uhhhhh yep!

Kinda like hustling a GS up a trail thinking you are really working it. Then you turn your head just in time to see Roadscholar snap a one handed picture while he is passing you, two up, without even getting his butt off the seat.

One of the most memorable things I ever read in a motorcycle mag--maybe 20 years ago-- was a quote from King Kenny Roberts. Said he was out twisties riding on his Ducati Elephant (like a GS) and he has challenged by some squids on crotch rockets. Said since he was rich and famous he didn't want the liability when they hurt themselves trying to keep up.

This video is 100% credible.

Matts_12GS

Kinda like hustling a GS up a trail thinking you are really working it. Then you turn your head just in time to see Roadscholar snap a one handed picture while he is passing you, two up, without even getting his butt off the seat.

He's a rat bastard that guy...

:dopeslap:

"So, at a press event BMW decided to demonstrate the capabilities of both bikes. Without even watching we all know which bike would come out on top. However, the result might surprise you. The race takes place in Spain's Circuito de Almeria. Keep in mind that this is not a serious race. Hence, do not take the outcome of the race too seriously and just enjoy watching two great motorcycles and their riders demonstrating their skills.

Read more at: http://www.drivespark.com/two-wheelers/2013/bmw-r1200gs-hp4-circuito-de-almeria-004904.html"

I'd guess the only reason they used the HP4 is it could keep up with the GS without many (any?) gear changes. Hence nice smooth camera shots. :)

Archived