IGNORED

Riding boot suggestions?

Fast Eddy

I've been wearing Daytona road star GTX boots for almost 7 years and loved their fit and performance.I just returned from a trip through Spain France and Italy and my boots started to seriously leak.I learned a new French word "sacco plastique" or something like that. I got some small plastic bags which I wore to keep my feet dry. Now that I'm home I thought it was time to buy some new boots but I'm having a hard time finding Daytona boots here in the US. What type of boots are people wearing these days?

Thanks

Doug_Baliko

I wear BMW Allround boots. They are very comfortable and I have yet to get any water in the boots.

Doug

I had a hard time finding any boots that I liked, mostly due to fit and comfort. Then I recently tried on some Sidi Canyon boots, and liked them. They have lug soles, which I like, and work well for me.

I'm on my second pair of Alpinestars. Don't recall which model, but they are touring oriented, not the ricky racer stuff. Goretex liner & they NEVER leak. Well, except for that time in North Carolina when I stepped in almost to my knee. :grin:

These are them

roadscholar
Goretex liner & they NEVER leak. Well, except for that time in North Carolina when I stepped in almost to my knee. :grin:

IMG_3375_13-M.jpg

I had a hard time finding any boots that I liked, mostly due to fit and comfort. Then I recently tried on some Sidi Canyon boots, and liked them. They have lug soles, which I like, and work well for me.
+1,,Im still wearing the first pair that came into the USA,,,
moshe_levy

I've tested both Sidi Onroad Sympatex and BMW Allrounds for MCN, and both never, ever leaked. I've had pairs of boots immersed in water for days (in the bathtub) and I can tell you, these two types never fail. Personally, after tens of thousands of miles on both, Sidis are better made, and hold up better aesthetically after the miles start packing on. My BMW Allrounds functionally are still fine, but all the dye has come off the leather and what was once black is now mostly scuffed away. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anything Sidi makes.

-MKL

Guest Kakugo

Seconded on the Sidi All-Road. However if you like to "move around" on the bike they are not the best option.

I've extensively used Gaerne GRT Aquatech. Excellent waterproof boots and unbelievable quality for the money. I have just replaced them (tear and wear) with the supposedly superior GRW Aquatech.

Good news: it's the most comfortable boot I've ever had, even when new.

Bad news: Gaerne introduced a new and fancy ankle support system on these boots I really don't like. On the GRT fit is "tight just about right" all around. On the GRW fit is very snug around the feet but the ankles feel very loose. That I really don't like in a riding boot.

They were not expensive (160€) but I'll give them one more month: if I cannot adapt they are out and I will get another set of GRT's.

Dainese TRQ Gore-Tex boots. Waterproof, breath well, comfy out of the box and the ankle hinge prevents side-to-side flexion in an accident and can save you from a broken ankle (like race or motocross boots). Walk around off the bike is fine which can be an issue. The Italians (Sidi & Dainese) know how to make footwear :)

Lone_RT_rider
Goretex liner & they NEVER leak. Well, except for that time in North Carolina when I stepped in almost to my knee. :grin:

IMG_3375_13-M.jpg

Seeeeee! He did own a GS! I guess some people have to learn their lessons twice. :D

Matts_12GS
:rofl:

That was part of an ill fated trip from the get go...

And those boots did leak, all over the floor in a McDonalds in Dublin, GA. We had been riding home in a tropical storm though, so maybe it was justified!

From sidi's website it looks like the on road no longer have replaceable soles? That is unfortunate I was thinking of going that route for my next pair...but that would be a deal breaker.

and, another vote for the Alpinestars Touring boots.

Curious thing is they are waterproof... no really... but somehow still, not hot like wearing a plastic bag on your feet.

Dainese TRQ Gore-Tex boots. Waterproof, breath well, comfy out of the box and the ankle hinge prevents side-to-side flexion in an accident and can save you from a broken ankle (like race or motocross boots). Walk around off the bike is fine which can be an issue. The Italians (Sidi & Dainese) know how to make footwear :)

:thumbsup: Add Gaerne to the list of Italian made boots. It seems that I'm size challenged in just about everything I wear including footwear. I shopped boots for over a year and couldn't find anything that would fit comfortably. I took a chance on Gaerne Balanced Oil boots by mail order so was taking a chance on fit. As it turned out, they fit comfortably from day one and although I'm getting out of off-road riding I'm tempted to keep my Gaerne's for road riding as they're that comfortable. Waterproof too as experienced in my off-road puddle adventures.

Let us know what you end up with and how they work for you.

I've had the Aerostich Combat boots for a few years. Never had wet feet, even in all day rain rides. Comfy enough for walking around once you break them in. Best part is that they are all black with no external branding; that is to say, they are style-free. I think they are made by Sidi, if I recall correctly.

There are so many choices for great gear these days. It's overwhelming, so I just buy stuff from Aerostich because its easy, and I've always been happy with their products. Currently I am riding in their boots, gloves, and leathers.

I wear 8" Red Wings. They last forever, work great off the bike and mine are waterproof (if I don't wear really long socks that wick the water into them).

I use BMW All Around and the TCX Airtex, both with GoreTex. Latter are cooler in hot humid summer.

I also like the relevant Gaerne and Sidi models and would happily use either.

Notice the GoreTex them if you really need waterproof. Best choice there is, period.

However, all waterproof membranes make boots a little hotter no matter how good it is. If you need coolest, try one of the non-waterproofs with lots of fabric, like BMWs version.....

I've had the Aerostich Combat boots for a few years. Never had wet feet, even in all day rain rides. Comfy enough for walking around once you break them in. Best part is that they are all black with no external branding; that is to say, they are style-free. I think they are made by Sidi, if I recall correctly.

I love my Aerostich Touring Combat Lite boots. They are pricey, but are easily resoled, and provide extremely good protection. I bought mine at the store in Duluth, and to my own detriment, I ignored the advice of the person who sold them to me, which I will repeat here: Fill a large bucket or bathtub with hot water. Put on the foots, and soak your boots and feet for 30 minutes, then wear the boots until dry. Without this step, it took about 2 years to break in my Aerostich boots, which I bought in 2006, and which are more comfortable than ever 7 years later.

I swear by my Dainese TRQ-Tour boots. Excellent ankle protection, waterproof, fit like gloves, easy in-out with a rear zipper.

I tend to wear then every day, all day at work and on tours. I admit, standing in them for 12 hours straight while at a trade show was a bit of a stretch though. They're clean enough to be worn with a suit (gives you just that little bit of *edge*).

Archived