IGNORED

Markel Insurance

Rinkydink

Greetings. I just wanted to put out what I have been dealing with for the past couple of days with this &$:@-$(;$ company.

Short and sweet. Been with them for 11 years, no claims and all premiums paid not only on time but early. I receive my renewal notice last March. Total premium increased $176. I think nothing of it, everything is going up right? I float a $500 check to them. Two weeks ago I send another $200. I received no premium bill I just send the $$$. I get the packet they mailed me to mark my payment down. I keep great records!! I notice that they have started a new program basing your rates on credit score. I think to myself...I have great credit, no worries. WRONG

I call and nicely plead my case with a supervisor. She informs me I am penalized for

1. Not owning an oil company credit card.

2. Owning any department store credit cards whatsoever , regardless if they have a balance or not.

Here's the real kicker

3. NOT having any "unclosed" credit card accounts.

Now I am just a hick from down here in Arcansaw but I am far from stoopid.

She then informs me that my state insurance commission requires this. Funny my car insurance (in Arkansas) doesn't do this. Nor my four wheeler/boat insurance etc etc.

Needless to say I am shopping for scoot insurance. Grrrrrr

Any happy insurance customers out there. I would love suggestions.

I've had Dairyland and Progressive-no worries. Just for grins I'd call you state insurance commission and ask if the story she told you was B.S. or real. If real complain. If B.S. call that supervisor back and tell her you caught her in a lie. She might think twice before she tries that one again.

I've had Dairyland and Progressive-no worries. Just for grins I'd call you state insurance commission and ask if the story she told you was B.S. or real. If real complain. If B.S. call that supervisor back and tell her you caught her in a lie. She might think twice before she tries that one again.

Thanks for the company suggestions.

I failed to mention my wife has worked in insurance for 32 years and I know insurance lady was BSing me when all she could quote were algorithms. I guess she thought she would woo me with a big word for an Arkie boy. I can't wait to tell her to stick her probabilities and statistics up her patootie.

I'm with Progressive now. I had a buddy go down with them and raved about the the settlement process and how fair they were, including all the farkles AND gear. I had a minor incident with Markel and they were less than helpful.

Switched to Progressive. Never made a claim but prices are VERY reasonable...

If you or your wife are 50, consider Foremost through AARP. Excellent rates for my BMW and Aprilia.

+1 on Foremost. It's difficult to compare insurance rates but, in my case, Foremost beat Progressive by a mile and gave me better coverage. The AARP rates were excellent but I did even better by going through an independent agent.

Had a small claim with Progresive...bike fell over, but did some damage. Great claim service...but rates went up significantly next 3 years in a row. When I go the next notice of rate increase, I went shopping....Allstate by far and away had the best rate. What will they do during a claim.....I hope to never know.

Progressive.

Great claims service. Very fair settlements. Rates didn't go up much.

It varies by state. Have to shop around.

Direct on line, no agent.

Progressive. Only been with 1 year (renewal any day now) but prices are great as is the coverage. Beat the living snot out of every other quote I received, literally by over $100. My premium is $175, I think, for a year.

szurszewski

Progressive here via USAA (which is a bit of discount over a non-USAA internet quote, but not much). For three riders on three bikes we pay a bit less than $300 a year. We used to be with Geico and paid a bit more for quite a bit LESS coverage and higher deductibles.

No claim experience with either.

Great thread. I was actually thinking of making a switch to Markel. I've been with Geico for over 5 years. 1 Accident, my fault, was handled very well by Geico. I was all fat dumb and happy for a long while. Now with 2 bikes, I see my rates are almost the same for each bike. My understanding was that a second bike does not cost much more since you can only ride one at a time. I was about to call Markel when I saw this thread. THANKS :thumbsup: Last time I checked, Allstate was much higher cost than Geico......maybe Progressive or Foremost, eh?

Hawk

Archived