IGNORED

GPS Mounting puzzler

karlfitt

I am mounting my Garmin Zumo 450 to my 2004 R 1100 S

I mounted it and it didn't work, this will be the fourth bike this mount has been one.

I tested and I had power up to the mount, so I figured something had gone wrong with the mount, so I ordered a new one.

New mount gets here, still no workie.

So I ordered a new power cable. Before I mounted it to the bike I tested it with the battery I have in my garage that is for my trailer. Works great. Get it on the bike and no workie again.

No, it can't be a CAN bus issue, I am powering it directly from the battery.

Again this is the fourth bike I have hooked up this way, first three were 1994 R 1100 RS, 2004 K 1200 RS, 2002 Ducati ST4s

I checked voltages, on the bike I have 13.47 volts at the mount.

On my bench I have 13.35 Volts

Any Ideas??

TIA,

Afternoon karlfitt

Assuming you have proper power & ground to the mount then POLARITY would be my next thought. Do you have the mount wired correct polarity?

My guess is that you are checking only the plus side at the mount when you say you have whatever voltage you said. The minus side is just as important.

Thought I had posted this but the 0s 1s must not have made it.

Are you SURE that the ground from mount to bike is solid?

NCS

Afternoon karlfitt

Are you SURE you have the wire with the fuse in it hooked to the (+) side of the battery. (re-check it)

To be sure test the FUSE socket for 12v power to the engine case or rear shock upper bolt. Do no test to the battery posts.

Battery as you know is really buried on an 1100S. Might want to double check that ground wire wasn't knocked off dropping the fuel tank back down over the battery.

Didn't pull the tank to hook up the battery.

Still good, I have 13,47 volts at the cradle end of the power cable (Hot and Ground)

Then a variable would be the cradle is mounted. Loosen or remove it from the attachment point leave it wired and try the GPS then. A modified bench type test.

Then a variable would be the cradle is mounted. Loosen or remove it from the attachment point leave it wired and try the GPS then. A modified bench type test.

Did this with no luck

Logically there are only a few possibilities

1) Test is wrong (wrong pins, not enough current, polarity, whatever)

2) Cable is bad / intermittent Verify pins are working properly.

3) GPS or connector on it is bad (try charging it overnight with wall charger, verify it charge properly and works off the bike)

A simple rule- apparent paradoxes mean you've overlooked something. Go find it in one of the three above. If you fail to find it, you don't understand something so figure out what that is..

Afternoon karlfitt

Assuming you have proper power & ground to the mount then POLARITY would be my next thought. Do you have the mount wired correct polarity?

opps.

I have never worked on this bike before.

The battery is under the tank, but I didn't remove it because I had access to the posts with it on.

I ASSumed that the post with the plastic cover was the positive post.

live and learn I guess

Glad you found it. The red on your type face is fading already.

All is good and this will be a story to laugh about later.

NCS

• 2 months later...

Quick question, I have a 1999 R1100S in beautiful condition and would like to know if anybody has removed the ignition switch, or lowered it with out having to remove the top clamp, in order to replace the plastic ring around the switch with the position information. I have the factory service manual, but it has been no help in this regard.

Thank you.

Archived