IGNORED

Need some audio advice

cat5752

Kind of new here. MY fiance and I just got new helmets (Shoei RF1100s) and we would like to start touring. We would like an intercom system that would also allow us to listen to an Ipod. Neither of us care about Bluetooth or getting or placing phone calls. We do not need bike to bike either. If we have to have wires, that's fine, but wireless would be okay as well. Any suggestions/advice as to what to get? Thanks in advance,

Andy

Don't think it matters, but bike is 2004 R1150RT. No shelf or any mounting system either, so I guess that would need to be asked as well.

In the big picture wires are way dangerous compared to Bluetooth. Undeniably.

Just as in cars, it's all pretty frustrating as technology is moving really fast and is not easily retrofitted to older vehicles. My RT plus BMW communicator (Bluetooth) gives me radio, USB or iPhone/iPod connection, and GPS all wirelessly to helmet. With passenger one button push changes the system to intercom.

It would be way easier and much more satisfying to just get a current bike. Just takes dollars.

I don't see buying a new bike so I can listen to an Ipod and talk to my passenger. I'm sure that would be the easiest route, but it's not going to happen.

You can get the Sena, yes its bluetooth, yes it can sync to your phone, yes you can sync to other riders, but you can also listen to music.

If you and your wife want to listen to the same thing, you can get a splitter for your music player, and run the output to each sena input. You would both be wired to the same music player and let the wife control. The downside is that you can't listen to music and talk, it is one or the other.

Guest Kakugo

Autocom is the answer... can talk to passenger, listen to music or GPS indications etc hands free.

Get the SPA Kit-2 since it comes with everything you need (passenger "headset", stereo lead etc).

One last thing: Autocom, besides the usual warranty, provides servicing for their products so just contact a dealer if anything goes wrong outside of warranty.

I may be missing something, but if you go wireless, you're going Bluetooth, so I don't quite understand your comment about not caring about Bluetooth.

Cordless phones are wireless and not Bluetooth. Just saying.

I can't say I ever come across anything wireless other than Bluetooth for Motorcycle headsets though.

Too bad, I think Bluetooth is much more complex than what is needed.

I'd put up with maybe a little complexity to avoid the wires that will break my neck an/or rip my helmet off.

Documentation?

Never heard of that but suppose it might have...

seems like the modular helmet scare when one rider was injured by a connective bolt

and the web was full of gloom and doom predictions.

I'd be much more concerned about riding wearing regular jeans.

I may be missing something, but if you go wireless, you're going Bluetooth, so I don't quite understand your comment about not caring about Bluetooth.

Cordless phones are wireless and not Bluetooth. Just saying.

I can't say I ever come across anything wireless other than Bluetooth for Motorcycle headsets though.

Too bad, I think Bluetooth is much more complex than what is needed.

Isn't FRS wireless w/o being BT? 2 mile range instead of 1/4 mile. Of course, this is a bike 2 bike intercom system and not what the OP was asking about.
Isn't FRS wireless w/o being BT? 2 mile range instead of 1/4 mile. Of course, this is a bike 2 bike intercom system and not what the OP was asking about.

Yes it is and it is real simple. Too powerful for intercoms and not great sound for music. I'm certain there is a way of doing it. Too bad manufactures wouldn't develop a simple alternative to Bluetooth.

I'd put up with maybe a little complexity to avoid the wires that will break my neck an/or rip my helmet off.

Documentation?

Never heard of that but suppose it might have...

seems like the modular helmet scare when one rider was injured by a connective bolt

and the web was full of gloom and doom predictions.

I'd be much more concerned about riding wearing regular jeans.

You've got to be kidding.

No.

Never heard or seen that outcome.

"that will break my neck or rip my helmet off"

from a wired intercom

and that was why I asked.

Something wrong with asking for examples?

Jeans on the other hand I've seen plenty of bad outcomes

so I compared it to that.

Alsothe odular helmet scare that was essentially the result of one bad outcome that was extensively detailed over the net.

So, again, documentation?

I'm interested in information, not opinion.

I'd like to read about the why and how of this neck breaking helmet ripping off problem.

Thank you.

I would also recommend Autocom for touring, particularly if you are touring long/hard and more remote/camping..etc.. Charging headsets is rather inconvenient on those kind of trips.

I also would recommend you buy from Rocket Moto (www.rocketmoto.com). I have found them to be the most knowledgeable and have the most complete set of parts/options for Autocom. [no affiliation, just happy with their service]

Thank you all for your responses to my questions. As far as getting my head ripped off by a wire attached to my helmet, I was a M-60 Patton and then M1 Abrams series armor crewman for 25+ years. We never had a 'wireless' CVC helmet (Google it). I still have my head; I think I will be okay.

Thank you all for your responses to my questions. As far as getting my head ripped off by a wire attached to my helmet, I was a M-60 Patton and then M1 Abrams series armor crewman for 25+ years. We never had a 'wireless' CVC helmet (Google it). I still have my head; I think I will be okay.

The whole "head ripped off" issue is truly moot. Every wired connection between a bike and rider that I've ever seen and/or used (whether heated clothing, or intercom, or music, etc . . . ) has had a quick disconnect connection in line that comes apart easily in a getoff, usually requiring just ounces of tension before release. Any off y'all that have used wired gear know this already, so why the debate?

Archived