IGNORED

Cruise control

SteveHebert

SteveHebert

I did a search on the subject and found a few strings from several years ago. I have been looking a the MC cruise unit. Those that have it, are you satisfied with it? That is the only thing left to make my 1150RT the ultimate touring machine, well for me and the Mrs anyway. It is quite pricey at $1049 but. Am willing to do it. I am tired of chasing around for the perfect bike. Love the 1150RT.

Thanks

I installed an aftermarket cruise control on my R1100RT (Audiovox CCS100) and it has worked very well for the last several years and only cost about $100. This and the Rostra (about $200) are very popular on BMWs and other sport-touring bikes that don't/didn't offer a factory cruise option, but installation of either is definitely not plug and play and you need to do some engineering on your own (although there are a lot of guides floating about on the Internet.) If that sort of thing appeals to you then either of these units perform very well at a fraction of the cost, but if not then I've seen nothing but good reports about the MC as well. Once you've had (real) cruise control on a bike it's hard to go without it.

neil_wilcox

Not exactly cruise control, but you might consider a throttle friction control. No installation engineering required and very inexpensive. I use a Kaoko ($100). Easily set while riding and unlocks with a flick of the little finger. I was always nervous about putting some electronic control on my throttle, especially on the narrow, twisty roads that I enjoy.

A simple o-ring between the handgrip and switch unit will work pretty well. On my 1200RT the cruise is just ok, the best thing I suppose is the resume feature. You still hold on to the right grip and it's sort of more awkward when cruise is on., That is I find myself increasing speed anyway. Cruise is useless in group riding unless you're the leader. A clamping system is worst of all IMHO. On my 1100 with o-ring I just let go to flex hand. On 1200 I set the cruise 1st.

I have the MC Cruise on my GS- Had it installed in 2008 when the bike was a year old and have never looked back. It was a little less expensive back then, but the redundancy of safeguards that prevent the bike from taking off with you are worth the price of admission. I cant compare it to a factory cruise unit as I have never had one, but it works well for me. Only thing you need to pay attention to is the pickup magnets jumping on the back of tools when you are working around the front wheel where they are located. I finally put a drop of RTV Silicone in each torx head to provide a little extra grip to keep them from wandering when metal comes by. Great product and the folks at MC Cruise are top notch.

Peter Parts

Friction is the last thing you want to add to your throttle. Think about it.

A throttle counter-force spring is the answer for tired wrists, steady speed, and, the opposite, faster action too. See write-up URL below (including safety caution which applies to many of the gizmos mentioned in this thread).

Ben

There used to be a time when BMW motorcycles were praised for their simplicity (and hence, durability). Must be a vile "Gold Wing influence" that makes riders (as well as the BMW designers) want to add tschotkas to their bikes.

SteveHebert

Thanks for all the replies. I have a throttle meister and have had one on various BMWs since 2001. I took my wife out to SD and rented a Harley Ultra Classic two years ago and really enjoyed the cruise. I owned an LT very briefly and loved it on that as well so I keep going back to that. I agree that the MC unit is pricey but it is almost plug and play and has been tested for some time now. Still thinking hard about it though.

Later,

Archived