IGNORED

Basecamp to Zumo, What's the Prefferred Method?

Albert

As I see it there are 3 ways to transfer data from my PC to my Zumo: upload a gdb file, upload a gpx file or do a direct transfer from Basecamp to the Zumo using the "Send to" feature. Does anyone know if there advantages/disadvantages to using one or the other? I find the "Send to" convenient but wasn't sure if it had any drawbacks.

Afternoon Al

The easiest & most direct way is using Base Camp to transfer to the GPS. That way when the GPS re-boots it automatically pops up a box to import the route & POI's. That also gives you the option of maybe selecting 1 route or more from a working list on Base Camp that has possibly 12 or more routes & transferring only the one or ones you want. You can also do that by highlighting the ones you want then using the send-to feature of selected.

You can also drag & drop (or direct transfer) a route saved as a .GPX directly onto your GPS SD card. The only advantage of doing this is you can drag & drop many routes at one time & they stay on the SD card until you manually tell your Zumo to import the one(s) you need.

I use the .GPX drag & drop when I have long trip planned with possible 4 or 5 alternate routes planned per day. That way I can keep my main Zumo route menu clear of all but the few routes I am going to ride that day.

Then, end of ride each day I delete those & import in the next days selection of routes. That makes finding & selecting a route (or alternate route) very easy when flying along at 70-80 mph.

Added: I guess I should have mentioned the direct transfer I personally use in Base Camp is NOT the send-to but simply left clicking (hold the left mouse button down) on the route I want to transfer then simply dragging & dropping that route onto the Zumo 550 (unit ID xxxxxxxx) that appears in the upper L/H pane when the Zumo is plugged into the commuter & Base Camp is open. Wait for the green bar to go all the way to the right & TaDa it's done.

Al, I use a Zumo 665 and transfer the routes to the SD card using Base Camp. I then import the routes as needed to the GPS. This way I can have 40+ routes stored to choose from.

Thank you both for the info and advice. I did the transfer last time and it went to the SD card and I too did the import. The only problem was it had to recalculate the routes which can be a pain if it differs from what I've set up in the PC. I know I have the same map installed on both so maybe my preferences are different. I'll have to look closely at that. Thanks again.

CoarsegoldKid

Be careful to note the avoidances set up on Basecamp and the device. If you forget about those it will drive you nuts.

clip-- The only problem was it had to recalculate the routes which can be a pain if it differs from what I've set up in the PC. I know I have the same map installed on both so maybe my preferences are different. I'll have to look closely at that.

Evening Al

If you build a solid route in Base Camp your Zumo won't change it when imported.

The Zumo basically recalculates every route it imports so build a good strong via point guided route & it won't change.

If you are worried about your route then just import it into the Zumo, then allow the Zumo to recalculate, then export it back into Base Camp or Map Source. If it comes back the same as your original then it should be solid.

Archived