IGNORED

Shades

Pletch

O.K. can't stand it anymore. I wear glasses, and thus require sunglasses when the sun shows it's pretty face. I have a great pair of Oakley Half jackets; exchangeable lens light weight, comfortable...normally. :Cool:

The problem is at the end of the temple pieces, after about and hour of riding the pressure inside my C3 helmet when I have the Oakleys on is unbearable. It pushed the piece above my ear into my head to the point I can't think of anything else but getting the glasses off. :mad:

What I need is a pair of glasses, Oakley quality or better, that has a thin or flat wire frame. Anyone out there have any idea of a good pair I can get with Rx? :S

I would just use the drop down visor in the helmet, but I have really light blue eyes and the visor isn't enough sun shade for me. And I never ride without safety lenses on my eyes, so glasses are a must.

Thanks

Pletch

areyouolsen

I had the same issue as you - Oakley Radar Path shades that turn into headache machines at about 45 minutes into the ride. Luckily, my sister is a sales manager of a high-end sunglass store. I told her about my problem and she recommended the Oakley Switch for a few reasons:

- Flat ear stems

- Very fast lens change

- Close face fit

I had misgivings about ANOTHER plastic-framed pair of Oakleys and went all over trying on all the thin-framed Maui Jims & Raybans I could find. Nothing fit quite right with my Shoei, so I took he plunge after my sister said she'd give me a refund if I didn't like them after a month of riding.

Bottom Line: I don't particularly like these shades more than my Radar Path glasses for everyday wear, but they're AWESOME under my helmet. I forget they're there, plus an amber or yellow lens is just 15 seconds away.

areyouolsen

Another option: I got a pair of Oakley Carbon Plate prescription frames, which you could probably put tinted lenses in. They are flat carbon fiber stems that flex easily & won't bother you. Not sure about prescription lens availability in the Switch.

Guest Kakugo

Since you are in Germany, look no further than Rodenstock.

I have their R 3137 model and I wear it no problem with both my helmets (Arai RX7 Corsair and OGK FF5V).

Since I am quite shortsighted I also had their Perfosport 1.60 (I hope it's the correct name) lenses fitted.

I have been wearing these glasses for hours straight under the helmet. Zero problem.

Quality... before I had a Bertoni frame with pukka Zeiss lenses. Believe it or not, the Rodenstock lenses are actually superior to their Zeiss counterparts. And the frame is truly a sports one, meaning it's extremely durable without being overtly stiff. They have to be experienced to be believed.

Final bit of good news... if you buy both a Rodenstock frame and lenses, you'll get a nice extra discount... :grin:

I use Ray Bans. When you're picking sunglasses to wear w/a helmet, don't worry about wire frame or light frame glasses. Get glasses with temples that are wider and flatter than other glasses. Helmets will always push them into your head, so the smoother and wider they are, the more distributed and less irritating the pressure will be.

RAY BAN RB4103 601S MATTE BLACK SUNGLASSES are the model I use. I love them so much, I bought extra frames to keep at the house in case of damage or loss.

szurszewski

I don't know if Oakley still makes the ewire frame, but if you wanted an Oakley option, that's one I would consider.

I'm a big fan of Ocean Waves glasses for their glare reduction capability. The straight bows go right in my helmet nicely.

Camhead in STL

I just go to Sams Club and buy the six-pack of Safety Glasses in "sunglass" (not clear) version. Costs about $15. You do the math. (sadly not available for online ordering)

Thanks all. I went with the new Adidas shades, changeable lenses, high impact carmoate and thin temples. Price was a factor too, these came in at about $100 with two colors.

I believe you're talking about the very light yellow lenses (as opposed to yellow tinted sunglasses). The yellow lenses are supposed to help with contrast in low light. Some people wear them for night driving, cycling etc. (it's a little like yellow fog lights). Most skiers go for a yellow to orange tint (or even some reds) for really flat light. It helps a little, but in my experience, if visibility is bad enough that you need them, you can't see worth a darn either way.

Or there's always Halloween "rapper" costumes...

Thanks all, opted for the adidas sport glasses.

Dark lenses and a set of Hi-vis yellow ones.

The yellows are great for oversact days, bleeds out the over powering glare light that comes with overcast summer days, and filters the 'blue' light so you can see into the shade and take out the blind spots. I stayed away from the polarized, great for skiing, very bad for motorcycling.

Dan

In my experience if you use polarised lenses with a visor, the lenses

cause patterns of distortion and colour on the visor, not a good effect.

There again, if you don't use a visor, no problem.

YMMV.

I'm looking for new shades for motorcycling. Tell me why polarized are not a good choice?

John

Road snot has a glisten to it, sometimes. Polarized lenses diminish this glistening effect, making the goop unseeable.

I have one pair of sunglasses for the lake and another for riding.

Have to agree, I had a hard time seeing tar snakes, oil and so on on the road with the polarized. These new non-polarized are a much better choice, alot easier on the eyes too.

Dan

Archived