IGNORED

Wireless control of my iPod

Bumwah

For years I have used an iPod and ear buds for a musical background to my rides...

I'm now searching for the best controller, preferably wireless, to control volume and other functions of my iPod...

I've seen two on the web butt, I'm looking for experienced feedback from REAL riders...

Help me Obie-one you're my only hope...

szurszewski

It will help to know what generation of iPod you have - some controllers work via radio frequency and require a receiver attached to the iPod, but more recent iPods can be controlled by Bluetooth remotes.

Also, are you looking for something that will display track information, or maybe let you see and change playlists, or will you be happy with just play/pause, and skipping forward/backward?

josh

areyouolsen

Two ideas that I use:

- Classic iPod in an Otterbox (has a rim around the control wheel, which gives a tactile orientation for volume, skipping, pausing, etc). I clip this in the inner pocket of my jacket with the screen facing forward so I can control it with my left hand while riding.

- iPod nano on a watch strap. The headphone cable routes conveniently up the sleeve and easy access to volume control buttons. Additionally, you can change the settings to make the "hold" button play/pause with a double-click

I recommend and use the Scosche RF remote. It allows passthru (can charge while you use the remote), is durable (can handle light rain), works pretty good with gloves on, and can easily be mounted with velcro. Check compatibility with your device. I've used mine with iPod classic, iPod Touch, and iPod Nano.

http://www.scosche.com/remote-for-ipod-controlfreq-wireless-car-sport-rf-remote

I recommend and use the Scosche RF remote. It allows passthru (can charge while you use the remote), is durable (can handle light rain), works pretty good with gloves on, and can easily be mounted with velcro. Check compatibility with your device. I've used mine with iPod classic, iPod Touch, and iPod Nano.

http://www.scosche.com/remote-for-ipod-controlfreq-wireless-car-sport-rf-remote

I use a couple of the Scosche units as well and they work great and have been weather-resistant for at least a couple of years now (I don't even remove it when I wash the bike.) One advantage of these is that you can cycle through playlists remotely which can be a big advantage, i.e. you can switch back and forth from audiobook to music, etc. without having to see/touch the phone.

My Thanx to everyone who chimed in on this topic... Being the new guy I had no idea how much help I could get with one post... Now to locate and install...

Bill_Walker

I've been using the iJet NAV Boss V2 remote for a while. I have handlebar mirrors on my RT and mounted the belt clip to the left mirror stalk with cable ties, using some friction tape on the stalk to keep it from rotating. The buttons are nice and big, easily pushed with gloves, and the unit is rainproof. Works like a champ.

One tip: there's a center button that has two operating modes. In one mode, it puts the remote in "navigation mode", which turns the other buttons into arrow and select buttons for choosing songs on the iPod. I think this is useless, or even dangerous, on the bike. This is the mode the unit ships in. But if you pop the housing open and flip a switch on the inside, that button just toggles shuffle on and off, which is far more useful, IMHO, and at least you can't end up in navigation mode by accident.

Archived