IGNORED

Stupid Question Post - Best Accessories, Best GPS, Intercom/Music Gear

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

Just got a R1150RT, need advice, opinions do's and don't, what works and what doesn't work:

The bike came with:

-Back rest/top lock box (I think that was an option?)

-LED - Extra stop light low on rear fender, flashes red momentarily then steady

-Shelf above dash (not sure what use I can make of it yet)

-Twist end of bar cruise control (love that)

Things I think I'd like to get and my current opinion. Please feel free to educate me...:)

+GPS - GPS and GPS mounting. It does not have to be greatest GPS

but something readable, rugged and comes with a mount or can buy

mount that will fit on the bike in slick way. I have a Garmin for auto,

but thinking something smaller, may be monochromatic, basic. My smart

phone already has good GPS, way that might be the way to go.

+TANK BAG with clear MAP or GPS top. I guess the BMW brand is best

but big bucks. Any good alternatives. I just have to have

something to look at with Nav when I ride.

+POWER - The DIN/Hella/Powerlite jacks on the side will not work

for me. I assume they are mostly for heated clothes. I could get

adapters and route cables there. My current plan, wiring a

cigarette jack or jacks in the dash next to the Speedo or Tach or

both. However with accessories, seems I will need custom power

cables for the device (GPS, phone, iPod) that are short, so I

don't have wire spaghetti. There must be an elegant solution. I

guess running devices on their own battery can work, or running

power cables into tank bag where all electronics are. Seems then

you could just unstrap it and take your valuable electronics with

you.

MUSIC - I want to have the option. I tried iPod with ear buds, but

that was marginal due to noise. I am guessing some custom fit ear

pieces that fit inside ear will be best. Then how to control the iPod?

+CASE SAVERS?

+SEAT - I plan on sending my stock seat to Frank Spencer to get it

a little lower. I have ~29" inseam and the stock seat is perfect

except for that. I read up on thicker shoe soles, lowering

springs. I think seat mount, seat and thick boots will do it.

INTERCOM - The bike came wired for an AUTOCOM intercom, wiring,

jacks, control on handlebar, but the electronic box that connected

in the glove box is long gone. I plan on removing the wiring which

is not really mounted permanently, mostly zip tied in place. A

wired intercom is of little use, especially if riding solo.

HOWEVER I'm wondering what's the state-O-art, blue tooth? I

would want wireless, that could be used between passenger or bike

to bike, also something on the body, no extensive installation.

WARNING NEXT ITEM MAY SOCK YOU, MAKE YOU LAUGH, CRY OR GET MAD! :eek::rofl:

CUP HOLDER - OK very un-BMW, but hear me out. I drove from San

Antonio in 90 degree weather to Memphis, 787 miles in 15 hours.

You must stay hydrated. Those water back packs, no thanks. I found

a 32 Oz styrofoam cup fit between the fairing and fork triple. Not

a great idea it would get squeezed in a turn, but it worked well.

Something removable, may be part of a tank bag. I hope this does

not get me exiled from the BMW bike community... :grin:

Any other must haves?

areyouolsen

No stupid questions!! It's great that you have direction & know where you want to go with it - that's the first step. Be mindful that it's ever-evolving & after looking around here and other forums (bmwmoa & advrider), you'll likely find someone who has done exactly what you want & has written a tutorial on how they went about it.

So, first thing's first - the shelf up there. That's likely either a BMR products copilot shelf or a migsel mount. The copilot has different attachment points to which BMR accessories can be bolted to for your farkles (add-ons to make your ride easier & more enjoyable - like GPS, sat radio, radar detector, etc. It'll soon be your favorite new word) From what I've read, the copilot shelf is a fantastic product. I just got a migsel, to which you can screw in RAM mount balls, also for farkles. Both put your screens at an ideal place for quick reference so you don't have to take your eyes from the road.

Depending on where you're at (read: little precip), your car's GPS may work just fine, unless you'd like to drop some dough on a motorcycle-specific, water resistant Garmin Zumo, which is also easier to manipulate with gloved fingers. Just tonight, I decided to add an independent GPS to my bike because we ended up in a place with no cell coverage & realized that the road we planned on was 20 miles of gravel to the next leg. It turned into an out-and-back instead of a loop.

I don't have much to contribute on tank bags, so someone else will have to pick up my slack.

For music, I use one earbud from a pair of Shure in-ear headphones, which sticks in your ear canal & wraps over the top of your ear. It keeps the headphone solid without worrying about the helmet pulling it out when I put it on & eliminates the wind/road noise issue you're having. I set up a playlist on my iPod watch before going & the wire runs up my sleeve to keep it managed. The "hold" button I set up as pause/play when double-clicked should it become a distraction. Other wireless options are available in this forum topic from earlier in the week.

Check out Sena & Scala for wireless headsets. I have a Scala, which I usually like - it can be paired with Bluetooth & between bikes pretty easily & reliably.

As far as cup holders, most guys use camelbaks, but there are other options, such as RAM mount's cup holder, which can be attached to the empty rear-view mirror hole you're probably wondering about on your handlebars.

All that being said, there's more than a doze ways to skin each one of these cats. Google exactly what you're looking to do (in my case, "r1200rt satellite radio mount") and you'll find dozens of creative ways members of our community have ingeniously solved whatever you want to do.

Bottom line, you're gonna be happy with your new wheels, so enjoy every second!!

You asked about must haves... well my comments are my personal beliefs. You may not want to spend this much.

#1. Get the Side stand foot enlarger... what? $30.

#2. Grip Puppies... seriously these will make any ride more comfortable... $10.

What year RT... (it makes a difference.)

CUP HOLDER - OK very un-BMW, but hear me out.

I have a soft bottle holder from REI I think. I'll grab a squeeze bottle at gas stops, works for me. Not the best pic but it's on the left side of my handlebar.

IMG_4637-1.jpg

Pat

gmcjetpilot
You asked about must haves... well my comments are my personal beliefs. You may not want to spend this much.

#1. Get the Side stand foot enlarger... what? $30.

#2. Grip Puppies... seriously these will make any ride more comfortable... $10.

What year RT... (it makes a difference.)

Side Stand.... YES YES I have a hard time finding it and have to twist my foot and to get a heal on it. Any suggestion on modification. Is it a DIY weld it on deal or is there a kit?

Grip Puppies.... Nice. Thanks

gmcjetpilot

areyouolsen:

Thanks for the detailed info.... appreciated your post as well. I am just going to have to Google, search web sites that sell gizmos to mount other gizmos. I like the idea of having a battery powered GPS, and can carry a bunch of rechargeable AA's. Save the cable run.

The RAM mounts and all the other clever mounts for anything you can imagine is a little daunting, but I'll figure it out.

areyouolsen:

The RAM mounts and all the other clever mounts for anything you can imagine is a little daunting, but I'll figure it out.

Go to any gathering of other BMW riders and you are sure to see a variety of GPS devices and RAM mounts. The riders will be happy to explain the bits and pieces and how to put it all together.

I would recommend just wiring up the gps. Batteries work in a pinch, but you'll save yourself a lot of fooling around on the road, if you just wire it up. I haven't kept up on them, but most of your automotive / moto units don't take aa batteries anymore anyway.

I use a camel back in my tank bag. The best hydration solution I've found yet. The hose sticks out of the tank bag just a bit; grab it and drink away. Simple.

My issues with cup holders: 1) You need the drink when it's hot, but the cup with your ice water is in the wind and the condensation is blowing water all over the place; and 2) you still have to lift your helmet (assuming you've got a modular helmet...e.g., Shoei Multi-tech) to get a drink...inconvenient and holding a cup up to drink forces you to take your eyes off the road...I don't like that.

Important points on the tank bag. I use the BMW bag and put the camel back in the inner bag of the tank bag (The R1200RT tank bag). This allows me to throw in my phone, wallet, etc. into the top portion of the bag. No issues and simple. Plus, with enough ice in the camel back, you have cold water all day. Oh yea, since I do a lot of hiking on my moto trips, I use a camel back anyway.

Did I mention simple?

Just got a R1150RT, need advice, opinions do's and don't, what works and what doesn't work:

Any other must haves?

I love my...

Migsel Ram Mount (google it). Cleaner looking in my opinion than a shelf.

Doran tire pressure monitor. I velcro my monitor just to the left of the fuel/temp display.

I bought this Cup mount linky and only used it a few times. Sure it works but in the end.....like your long ride, a CamelBak is the answer for me. Either just the bladder in a tank bag or the over the shoulder unit. I fill with ice at gas stops (station employees are usually cooperative if I Gatorade/Powerade from them first). It lasts several hundred miles. Secret is to blow back into the bag after sipping so the net sip is ice cold as well. Highly Recommended.......dehydration can lead to foggy brain and bad decisions!

Archived