IGNORED

Adventure Design tool kits?

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

I stumbled upon The Adventure Designs website and it looks like they have pretty comprehensive quality tool tool sets for BMW specific models. Has anyone bought one of these sets and what do you think of them? Depending on the feedback I'm thinking of getting one to carry on my RT as it looks like all that I would need to carry besides zip ties, duct tape, etc.

Doug

Evening Doug

Yes I have the 1200RT tool kit and got mine around 3~4 months ago.

Yes it's top quality and you get your money's worth.

I have used the oil filter tool, oil filler cap removal tool, spark plug cap removal tool and the front wheel large alan key tool.

All these behaved as expected and no breakage or damage to tools or bike parts were experienced.

What else can you ask for??

I got a tool kit for Christmas a couple of years ago and do not remember the brand. It was either Adventure Design or Touratech - in either case, it serves me well, it is quality, and has everything I think I need. Tonight I will look at it when I get home and let you know which company it came from. :-)

I live near there and have bought stuff at the shop. Super nice guys, and they carry a wide variety of top notch gear.

They have the tool kits on the counter - looked like pretty good stuff. The oil filter wrench is very similar to the Marc Parnes wrench - apparently they used to include the MP wrench but now have a similar one.

Has anyone bought one of these sets and what do you think of them? Depending on the feedback I'm thinking of getting one to carry on my RT as it looks like all that I would need to carry besides zip ties, duct tape, etc.

I have the F800GS kit from them and apart from a few extra paranoia tools I added I've found it to be very, very complete.

Hey Scott - my bike did not come with a tool kit. That said, with the amount of tools and types, it would not fit under the seat.

No kidding- neither does anyhing else that is sufficient. The advdesign set is very compact for its capability.

The set needs a pair of sidecuts, a good icepick or awl, plenty of zip ties in several sizes, etc. Has no tire irons or other changing tools, no plug kit either so those must be added to what you carry plus a pump, etc..Also lacks a VOM and GS-911, electrical wire, spare fuses if your bike has a fuse panel, of course. Lever length of its socket wrench is a bit too short for tight wheel bolts- needs a cheater for some. Will need feeler gauges if you want to use it for valve work..

Still its a good set. Be sure to use it for routine service work on your bike- that will help you quickly figure out what you need to supplement it

racer7 wrote: "..socket wrench is a bit too short...needs a cheater bar..." True, true. Those wheel bolts can be tough to break loose and you might not want to be pounding on the wrench with a rock you found on the roadside. A cheater bar is easily and cheaply made with a length of EMT conduit that will fit over the socket handle. Make it long enough to be worthwhile but short enough to stash under the seat.

As far as fitting under the seat, try dividing the tool set into two. Rather than buying a second tool roll (which can add to the bulk), just wrap one part of the tool set in a rag and secure it with a couple of rubber bands. I find I can get more stuff under my R12RT's seat by placing my tool kits along the frame rails on each side. You can also get a genuine BMW accessory storage space that goes where the radio fits (if you don't have a radio, of course)

More tools are better! Now let's see where I can fit a No-Mar tire changer...

pete

BMW_Curb_Clipper

Ok. I admit I am very new to BMWs (bought my 1200RT in April..love it).

But after much browsing of forums, I decided to build my own toolkit.

This is referenced in several places, but check out:

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tool_Kit.html

I had some extra tools laying around, I went to Harbor Freight(or the tool place of your choice), and I sourced the rest from Amazon. I came in much less than the kit you mention.

It lists the tools the guy carries. The site (and DVDs, if you buy them), improve the most important part of the toolkit....your brain.

If you build your own, you can get the tools that you know how to use. On the other hand, buying a pre-built kit can save time and/or $$$$ depending on what you have the most of.

Just my $.02

I got the adventure designs kit a couple of years ago and I'm a satisfied customer. I use it to perform routine maintenance on my 2009 RT and carry it in the saddle bag for emergency use. I added many of the things someone noted earlier, the valve gauges, GS 911, etc. I also carry a Nealey tire repair kit, spare bulbs, a spare ESW ring and a fuel pump by-pass cable. Don't want to be stuck anywhere. Good luck with your choice, for my money the Adventure Designs kit is worth the money.

Archived