IGNORED

bike to bike communication

dannys

I am considering a Bluetooth system to communicate bike to bike. I am looking at sena and cardo/scala. If you have experiance please let me know about clarity, ease of use, wind, and especially distance.

Thank you

I had the Cardo Scalar G4 for a couple of years and replaced it with a Sena SMH10 a year or so ago. The Sena is better in all respects to the Cardo. Wouldn't switch back.

My riding buddy and I ordered the Sena SMH10/11.

He has a C3 and I use a Shoei RF1100. I had no problem with the mounting and we used the wired mic for the C3 installation.

Sound is not as good as with earbuds but not a big deal.

No wires, music, communication with others and you have got to love that jog wheel!

:thumbsup:

We have the Sena SMH10 units paired with iPhones. They work awesome for rider to passenger coms, and we have been very pleased with them. I have only used them for bike to bike 3-4 times, but the results have also been good. You don't get miles of range like FRS radios, but I feel the range has always been sufficiant for keeping in touch with buddies on the road.

I would buy them again

+1 on the Sena SMH10. My wife and I bought two units last year and they've worked well. I use mine daily for commuting, with it paired to my Iphone.

I have found a really functional and VERY inexpensive alternative to these expensive communication systems.

My friends and I use FRS walkie talkies and Midland in-helmet speakers and mikes with a PTT (push to talk) button on the left handlebar.

We use one of the .5 watt channels to conserve battery life and we can literally ride and talk for many hours at ranges up to about 1/2 mile with no issues.

You can get a TWO pack of radios for under $50 and the helmet speakers/mike set is about $45 per helmet.

We've been using ours for years and are VERY pleased with the results.

A side bonus is that when you get to your destination, you can remove the radios from their Velcro attached perches and take them with you and use them as person to person comms wherever you are.

Dual functionality for easily under $100 per bike.

We have had as many as 6 riders at a time.

szurszewski
I have found a really functional and VERY inexpensive alternative to these expensive communication systems.

My friends and I use FRS walkie talkies and Midland in-helmet speakers and mikes with a PTT (push to talk) button on the left handlebar.

We use one of the .5 watt channels to conserve battery life and we can literally ride and talk for many hours at ranges up to about 1/2 mile with no issues.

You can get a TWO pack of radios for under $50 and the helmet speakers/mike set is about $45 per helmet.

We've been using ours for years and are VERY pleased with the results.

A side bonus is that when you get to your destination, you can remove the radios from their Velcro attached perches and take them with you and use them as person to person comms wherever you are.

Dual functionality for easily under $100 per bike.

We have had as many as 6 riders at a time.

I'm not knocking your setup, nor am I saying the Sena units can do everything you list (though I guess you could buy the headphones style headset and use them walking around, you'd sure look weird and it would add to the cost), but you can get a Sena 2-pack for under $200 and sometimes as low as $150 if you look around. That's for the base unit, but even the fanciest one, ordered direct from Sena isn't a whole lot more.

Revzilla has the SMH5 for $188 (for two) right now.

josh - a happy Sena user still using their first available model

Archived