IGNORED

Tire Pumps

Sonor

Which tire pump do you take with you on trips and why? I am looking at purchasing a tire pump but not sure which to get. Any input would be appreciated.

FYI: it would be great if you can also say if it plugs into my Beemer. Or, if you like a foot operated one instead and why.

Morning Sonor

Lots of choices on this one--

My personal pump is the old 12v Slime (metal piston) pump that I completely remove the plastic housing. Then make a small aluminum shield for the exposed gear.

I lengthen the power wire to allow the pump to reach each wheel when plugged in to the power source. Then shorten the hose to be about 10" long. (easier to store the small wire than the longer larger hose).

This thing weighs almost nothing & stores about the size of a small egg.

Lots of small cheap 12v air pumps available, just try to find one that has a metal piston as they last longer. They usually come with a large plastic housing so with that removed the actual pump is pretty small.

+1 on the Slime pump... er the Slime.

Works for me, right out of the box. Saved my butt, rider, the day, and the trip at one of the Torry gatherings. I added a direct 12v socket and use the plug that came with the pump.

You will always find mine in the left-hand side case next to the professional First-Aid kit and the spare oil.

Bough a cheapo 12dvc pump at Wally World about 5 years ago. I use it rarely, only on trips, maybe every 2-3 days to top off the tires. Never had to use it to inflate a flat tire. It's still going strong. At the house I much prefer a higher-end manual pump I bought for the mountain bicycle I used to have....bike is gone but that pump is terrific.

I have both a small Slime ($19) and Cycle Pump ($100). Both work fine. Not sure the Cycle Pump was worth the extra money though. Both draw a LOT of current so need to be plugged into a high current source. I use my SAE battery tender connection source.

RAMBLIN RED

I carry a Campbell & Hausefeld from Wall-Mart, 19.95 throw away the case, tape the switch to existing wires and away you go. Cheap enough to throw away when it gets weak, though that may take some time since I've carried it for two years without needing it.

I'm never too far off the beaten path, so I just buy whatever sub $20 pump I can find at the local hardware store. I test it before I leave on a trip and, if it fails, I go get another one. The current version I've had for about 3 years and it still works fine. I also carry some C02 cartridges and a little plastic fitting for dire emergencies (if the pump breaks).

Nice n Easy Rider

+2 on the slime. I've used it on 4 occasions after flats (3 mine, 1 Quinn's) plus two days at the last RCR when tire pressure kept dropping (valve stem/TPM sensor wasn't quite tight enough). It's certainly earned it's cost.

My personal pump is the old 12v Slime (metal piston) pump that I completely remove the plastic housing. Then make a small aluminum shield for the exposed gear.

Hey DR, Would you mind sharing a photo of that set up, please? I have the Slime. Thank you in advance, either way. :wave:

I have a slime pump that has come in handy several times. I have yet to wire the pig tail onto the battery as it is used so infrequent. It is a good product. I have seen examples of having removed the housing, it will store in a tight small spot out of the way. I have also used it when I was doing a support role on a bicycle ride where I had help a number of riders with flats.

Previous to that I Had a small double stroke hand pump. Took up hardly any space. It was good as an emergency device. If I needed air on the road I usually found a place rather than use this one. Still I could have inflated a tire to operating pressures with it.

I added a small foot pump from Walmart. I needed something to take with some gear on the other bike of which it is hard to get to the battery. I have used it to add pressure to the tire and it does this easy enough. It takes up twice the room of the slime and unless the bike is prewired for the slime, it takes about as long to some air as getting the slime out and hooking it up and getting started.

All that said.. call me and come over and you can try them out on your bike and see what you like before you go and buy.

NCS

I carry a Slime on my FJR and another one on my DR650. It is a very capable device. On my recent trip to Oregon I helped a couple of ladies change a flat on their SUV. The temporary spare was only at 26psi so I took out the pump and brought it up close to the recommended 60psi. I'm guessing it did that in under 5 minutes running time.

Anyone have issues with the canbus and these 12vdc pumps? Mine (WalMart) works fine, but I do have the engine running when I plug into the accessory socket (via a PowerLet to Cigar Lighter converter). I always think it's gonna "blow the fuse", but hasn't happened yet.

On my other bikes I've had a cigar lighter outlet wired directly to the battery, and use the pumps (10a?) fuse in case of trouble.

Just curious.

The accessory outlet circuit on your RT is rated for 10 amps, my 2006 RT is rated at 5 amps. My Slime pump claims a max draw of 7.5 amps, which it might reach on startup if the pump is connected to an already highly pressurized tire. (But why would you do that?)

I have never had the circuit shut down while using the pump; I think the normal draw is about 4.5 amps.

The worst that happens? The circuit shuts down, you turn the key off and then back on to reset the circuit.

malcolmblalock

Slime pump for me. It's saved my butt between Tuk, AK and the Yukon territory. On the way to the MOA in Sedalia. And a couple of times closer to home. I have no idea if the piston in mine is plastic (probably) or metal, but it works fine for those emergencies that come up.

I tell you what... the Slime works fine, but that sucker... er Blower... gets hot. You could pop popcorn on the side of the road with that thing.

• 3 weeks later...
I tell you what... the Slime works fine, but that sucker... er Blower... gets hot. You could pop popcorn on the side of the road with that thing.

Hmmmm .... ability to pop corn too ... sounds like a "feature" to me! :rofl:

Web Bike World didn't seem to think much of the Slime, but I think they must have gotten a bad one. All my friends with Slime pumps seem to like them.

Scott Deakin

I have gone through a few. Started out with a simple halfords branded one which was quite bulky, then bought the slime which was very good but tended to get quite hot and finally settled for the airman (http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10002998&lang=en)

I like the airman because the wires and hose tuck neatly away without requiring another case (I was being a bit OCD with regard to saving space...). It also has a pressure gauge built-in. It's not hugely accurate, but it does enough for when I am at the side of the road, so I don't feel the need to carry another gauge with me. It also runs quite cool in comparison to the slime. Looking at the other posts, it seems I could have saved space removing the cover from the slime. Might check that out later.

I had to replace the 12V plug with the BMW one though (http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=ELA00016&x=0&y=0)

I know you did not ask, but I have also found these to be very useful: http://www.craftyplugger.com/ - I actually forgot I had repaired a tyre once and did nearly 12,000 miles on it (I have selective OCD) some (most?) of which I did over 80mph...

Scott Deakin

The page mentioned above has a nice photo comparison between the slime and the airman (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-tire-air-pump/slime-pump-vs-airman-sparrow/). It also seems the airman in the review came with an adapter for the power. I'd take the review with a pinch of salt though as I am also not convinced that his slime was up to scratch - I never experienced the problems in the review and the comments also seem to reflect this.

Archived