IGNORED

What are your SPOT custom messages?

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

Just setting up my SPOT messages and wanted to know what most of you use? Mine are:

Check in/OK:

Just checking in. Everything is okay. I'm done riding for the day.

Help:

I'm having a problem and might need some help. Please try calling my cell phone xxx-xxx-xxxx. Doug Baliko

Custom:

Cancel previous help message. Problem resolved and everything is now okay.

SOS:

Touring motorcyclist riding a BMW R1200RT, wearing Hi Viz gear, 52 yo white male, no medical allergies, blood type O+

Doug

Check in/OK:

Stopping for food or rest - OK.

Help:

No phone signal. Non-life threatening help needed. Please contact police near my coordinates and have them send help.

Custom:

No phone signal. Need a tow truck - please contact Allstate Road Service (ID XXX, Phone 888-xxx-xxxx) and have them send a truck to my coordinates.

SOS:

Life-threatening emergency. Location is these coordinates. Good news is I could push the button :-)

The details about what I'm riding, wearing, medical history, etc. are all logged with GEOS so they'll have that and they'll also be in contact with my emergency contacts who have all that info too.

I include my state and license plate number and a description of the bike (Black BMW Motorcycle) on the Help message. The message informs responders I have Emergency Data in my wallet. I also provide my wife's phone number.

For the 911/SOS one, my message stresses it's a NON-emergency, and I will call ASAP.

Mine is a Spot 1 without the custom message possible. I set my SPOT to Tracking 99.9% of the time.

In those cases where all is well but I cannot get a cell signal, or cannot contact my wife to tell her I'm at the motel safe and sound, I send two SPOT OK messages in a row, as quickly as I can (viewing the lights). I do the same when I'm ready to mount up the following morning.

For the 911/SOS one, my message stresses it's a NON-emergency, and I will call ASAP.
The only time you're supposed to scramble GEOS and the choppers/SAR is for a life-threatening emergency. Pushing 911/SOS when you're not seriously hurt could cost you a ton of money if the responders determine it to be a non-emergency and you should pay (and your insurance won't because they only cover that kind of response when it is serious).

As a WFR (Wilderness First Responder) we're trained to not call for undue help - it puts a load on the system, potentially exposes others to harm (responders tend to take more risks in responding when they think lives are at stake and thus expose themselves to potential injury or death) and it can create a "boy who cried wolf" syndrome so the next guy who really is hurt badly might not get the response he needs.

If it's a simple broken limb, abrasions, bike down, but you're walking it ain't a 911/SOS call. It's a "Help" call. If you've got multiple injuries and or a single really bad one (extensive bleeding, head injury, diabetic/poisoning/acute allergic reaction) then it is life threatening and you should hit that button and hope they get to you before you die. (It's not uncommon for the response systems out west especially to take an hour or more to locate someone due to distances involved, etc.)

The only time you're supposed to scramble GEOS and the choppers/SAR is for a life-threatening emergency. Pushing 911/SOS when you're not seriously hurt could cost you a ton of money if the responders determine it to be a non-emergency and you should pay (and your insurance won't because they only cover that kind of response when it is serious).

As a WFR (Wilderness First Responder) we're trained to not call for undue help - it puts a load on the system, potentially exposes others to harm (responders tend to take more risks in responding when they think lives are at stake and thus expose themselves to potential injury or death) and it can create a "boy who cried wolf" syndrome so the next guy who really is hurt badly might not get the response he needs.

If it's a simple broken limb, abrasions, bike down, but you're walking it ain't a 911/SOS call. It's a "Help" call. If you've got multiple injuries and or a single really bad one (extensive bleeding, head injury, diabetic/poisoning/acute allergic reaction) then it is life threatening and you should hit that button and hope they get to you before you die. (It's not uncommon for the response systems out west especially to take an hour or more to locate someone due to distances involved, etc.)

My error, I meant to say: "For the HELP one, my message stresses it's a NON-emergency, and I will call ASAP." That's what I get for cutting n pasting and forgetting to make the appropriate changes! I am sooooo embarrassed! :P

Just setting up my SPOT messages and wanted to know what most of you use? Mine are:

Check in/OK:

Just checking in. Everything is okay. I'm done riding for the day.

Am on a ride or have arrived safely.

Help:

I'm having a problem and might need some help. Please try calling my cell phone xxx-xxx-xxxx. Doug Baliko

Non life threatening request for help. Stranded and may have no cell service. Find me ..my spot URL here.....

Custom:

Cancel previous help message. Problem resolved and everything is now okay.

Not arriving at the predetermined time. May be having mechanical difficulties. Will send HELP text if EMERG.

SOS:

Touring motorcyclist riding a BMW R1200RT, wearing Hi Viz gear, 52 yo white male, no medical allergies, blood type O+

56 Caucasian male, blood type x, medical issue; xyz, DNR/Donor, Cell#

Doug

Archived