IGNORED

Rain Gear

Micky

I am in the market for a two piece rain suit. Recently purchased a Tourmaster gear, a cheap one,

made of PVC material. The top was OK, but the pants was difficult to put on. Also I think it was on the heavy side for packing in the saddlebags.

I like to find a brand that is light in weight, packs in a small package, and gives a good protection in foul, rainy weather. The town where I live, there is a Harley dealership, and their rain suit is all folded into a small pouch, made of very light weight fabric.

I need a recommendation for a similar product that is not HD brand.

Thank you, Miklos

St George, UT.........R 1200 RT

I have a set of First Gear branded rain gear that I really like. I have been lucky enough not to need it much, but when I did, it hasn't let me down. The pants and jacket have a built in pocket that they fold up into, so there is no separate bag to carry.

I also have a First Gear two-piece suit that has lasted forever, which is good because I really like it. They usually make pretty good stuff. Look for something that is fully lined and that will make it much easier to put on.

All the new high-tech 'rainproof' general purpose riding suits are great and very convenient when riding through showers, but if you get in a situation that calls for hours of riding in constant rain nothing beats a dedicated rainsuit.

Doug_Baliko

The new Olympia two piece rain suit looks good. They generally have very good quality products.

Doug

My wife and I have had First Gear two-piece rain suits for a number of years. This year, we replaced them with lighter, thinner, Rev'it rain suits. We had lots of rain during our two-week ride in and around the Un. They performed well, and were Hi-Viv to boot.

szurszewski

Not into orange and black, or is it a price thing? I guess that sounds kind of flip, but really why not the HD one?

BMW_Curb_Clipper

I don't have a pair of their motorcycle brand, but Frogg Toggs makes a light weight product that is breathable.

I don't have a pair of their motorcycle brand, but Frogg Toggs makes a light weight product that is breathable.

Wondering how they would do in a heavy continuous downpour...?

I pack a pvc 2 pc. tourmaster which is fine in heavy rain, and redundant in a little shower. It doesn't breath for crap, doesn't pack real tight but keeps you dry.

If you wear it in the East with high humidity and rain you'll still get wet because you'll sweat like a... 428341583_79f8bab39a_m-150x112.jpg

Morning Micky

The light weight & packs small is usually something more for occasional use but not so good for an all day ride in continuous heavy rain.

As the posters above I have lined First Gear for expected all day heavy rain. Works good but doesn't pack very small.

What I usually carry (assuming I am not wearing some waterproof (actually water resistant) riding gear is a 2 piece very small packing rain suit sold to Golfers. I'm not sure on the manufacturers name without looking but they are all basically the same. It is made of some type of breathable parachute type material.

This thing works great for those times I need some rain gear for a short rain or at the camp site. Only problem is it isn't lined so can be pain to get on especially with riding boots on.

Not into orange and black, or is it a price thing? I guess that sounds kind of flip, but really why not the HD one?

Because it's sorta ridiculous riding a BMW with a huge, glowing HD logo pasted across the back of your rain jacket. Don't ask me how I know!

When I was riding across country in 2007, I too had a big, bulky PVC rain suit, which I soon grew very sick of for taking up nearly a full system case. I was in Chicago at the time, at the BMW dealer there, who had no rain suits in stock. Zero choices - nada. So I went across the street to HD, which of course had a million choices in clothing (not so much in motorcycles, but I digress....)

To this day I have the HD suit which, true to form, packs up into a tiny purse-like shape and works extremely well. Except when you get off the bike, and have to answer questions about how "I guess you wish you had a Harley, eh?"

My tongue is in my cheek here, somewhat, but honestly, a suit from FG, Olympia, or even BMW itself would be more appropriate, me thinks.

-MKL

As a side bar to this thread...

A pair of regular plastic grocery bags slipped over your boots before you try to put on your rain pants will make that sometimes difficult task super easy. The bag-covered boots slip through without hanging up.

Camhead in STL

You would have to search pretty hard to find something that packs down smaller than the Frogg Toggs Ultra Lights (which is what I carry on-bike daily). For longer trips, I'm willing to pack something a little bigger, so I have the Frogg Toggs Toad Rage 2 jacket. and the Frogg Toggs Pro Advantage bibs. I like the bibs because there's no way in heck I'll get crotch-puddling. The zippers on the bottom make getting them on over my pants and boots trivial.

Just like everthing BMW it was a little pricey, but I shopped around and bought the BMW Rain Lock suit.

Had a chance yesterday to try it , two hours in pouring rain and was quite pleased. Money well spent. Also have the Frogg Toggs , but think I will keep the Rain Lock suit as my take with me gear

Make sure you are not over 6_2 or non of these will work well. As far as I know, NOW, FG, Olympia, REVit, Tourmaster, frogg toggs, Non carry tall anymore. Just as an FYI, I believer HD rain gear is OEM by First Gear.

Randy,

That's why I've ended up using Stearns brand pants.

Plenty long enough.

Not moto specific but black, and matches up w/moto

rain jackets.

Found 'em at Wallyworld for $20.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I use a woodland camo and a desert camo military Goretex outerwear. The desert one is much lighter and has a nice long underarm zippered vent. Both have been tested in record NJ rainfall this month and kept me dry. The woodland pants can see duty as winter windproof overpants. The woodland jacket is my least favorite one as it doesn't vent as well as the desert jacket. I also have an Air Force ABU digital pattern set of Goretex but I don't wear that unless I'm in uniform. Even the HD guys wave to a serviceman on a BMW.

Lighthiker90

This thread along with a long ride in the rain has made me rethink my rain gear. I was dry in my Nelson Rigg, but it was a sauna after an hour.

Any thoughts on internal liner vs external dedicated rain gear? I have internal liners for my jacket and pants but I cant for the life of me figure out how the rain won't end up inside my pants if it penetrates my outer jacket and runs down the inner jacket.

I wouldn't recommend Frogg Toggs at all. Last fall, I had a whole wet weekend to evaluate one in northern MI and it's performance was abysmal.

Water leaked in through the crotch and most of the seams. I returned it for a full refund.

RPG

Archived