IGNORED

Anyone Done A Seat Transplant?

Charles Elms

Charles Elms

Here is my situation: I have a 97 RT with a self-modified 'comfort' seat. I also recently acquired both a Day-Long and a Sargent full seats for a 2002 K12RS. My plan was to sell both KRS seats and use the proceeds to buy a Day-Long for my RT. Looks like no one is interested in the KRS seats.

My plan now is to carefully strip the Russell Day-Long from the KRS pan, remove the rear seat portion and mount the front seat of the Day-Long to my stripped RT comfort seat pan.

Anyone done this before? Any advice on the easy way (if any) to do this. I figure I may have to extend the cover of the Day-Long to fit the RT comfort seat pan. What's one more seam? I won't see it when on the bike.

I hate to potentially mess up a perfectly good Day-Long if this does not work out, but the way I figure it, I have nothing to lose. Be glad to swap both KRS seats for a RT Day-Long.

Comments?

areyouolsen

Only comment I have is a request:

Please take pictures and do a write-up about how you go about doing it (if you do it)

Awesome idea, thinking outside the box and using available resources. I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences and difficulties.

What is your goal?

What isn't working?

Seems like it might be simpler to work on your existing RT saddle

to achieve your end, no pun intended.

Foam can't be that expensive.

ebay. You'll be rid of them in no time.

Before you go all Dr. Frankenstein, try this. Much more straightforward.

ebay. You'll be rid of them in no time.

Before you go all Dr. Frankenstein, try this. Much more straightforward.

I would stop and consider your upholstery skill level. Seems like a difficult thing to get right - two dissimilar seats, trying to make one fit with the other. You MAY get it to come out right, if you're pretty good, but the worst that can happen is you now have turned 2 or 3 perfectly good seats into packing foam. And you still need a new seat for the RT.

Oh no... FRANKENSEAT!

On my 2000RT I have used a beadrider, an Alaskan sheepskin, and then a new seat rebuilt by a local gal...initially I thought they were all the answer, until several hours and miles down the road. I researched all the big seat names, talked to them at all the rallies, talked to many who had them, and for whatever reason I just wasn't sold. Then I found the guy... The Seat Guy that is... Jon Revilla. I first had him do my cafe racer seat, then my RT... man am I thrilled! I did the RA rally with a couple of 700+ days, a trip out to PA with some 500+ days, and I was ready to keep going.

I put a video about it on my site HERE

Archived