IGNORED

Charging

Urban Surfer

Urban Surfer

I have a 2010 GT, and the bike came equipped with a pigtail connected to the battery. The manual explains not to charge the battery with a trickle charger unless it is disconnected or it may damage the electronics.

The charger I have puts out 750 MA (battery tender junior)

Should I just plug in or take the battery out?

I will replace it soon with a lithium battery, about a 1/5 of the weight.

Afternoon Urban Surfer

It's not about the amps but more about maximum volts.

You can use that battery direct pig tail to charge the battery on the BMW, in fact a LOT of us do that & have done that for years without any damage.

You just have to MAKE SURE your battery charger doesn't have a high voltage desulfation cycle & NEVER outputs more than 14.4 volts.

If more than 14.4 volts output then you should disconnect the battery first before connecting the charger.

Urban Surfer

Thanks Dirt Rider. You are always there to help.

If ever you are on the west coast here look me up and I shall certainly look after you.

I use a Battery Tender Jr myself. Have for the last 10ish years. Never a problem. (I use an Odyssey PC680 not the BMW OEM battery though. The BMW one got traded out 3 yrs in on the current bike.) I usually have it plugged in all winter because it can get wicked cold in my garage & it doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Others suggest that you only need to plug it in once a month during the winter (and others say no need at all).

Guest Kakugo
during the winter i plug in my Optimate about every 2-3 weeks for 1 day, then unplug it again.....

Know that we Optimate users have been excommunicated by BMW purists. :grin:

I have BT's on both bikes and both cars 24/7/365. Been doing this for the past 15 years. Yup! I'm completely anal :rofl:

Archived