IGNORED

Russell Day-long Transplant?

flat_twin

Anyone ever attempted or asked an upholsterer or someone in a related trade to transplant a Russell saddle from one seat pan to another?

I have a perfectly good Russell from my R11RS. Rather than wait and pay large dollars for a Russell on my next bike, probably a R12RT, just keep using the one I have.

Depending on which seat pan was larger the outside cover may have to be replaced too but it's just vinyl, foam, glue and staples right? I know there are people out there who can do this kind of work. I've seen some decent seat mods by a local guy in the Cleveland area and there are some Amish shops in my area that could probably take a good shot at it. So, am I nuts (or just cheap)?

I suppose it would just be easier to sell the RS Russell outright and have one built by Russell for a difference of $200 eh?

Actually the Russell Day Long seats are more than just foam and staples. They build a frame to support the suspension springs and attach that to the seat pan. Then foam is built up and shaped and then the cover is built. It would be a futile process to try and swap all that over. Other aftermarket styles MIGHT be doable.

I knew there was a spring that went around the perimeter of the "wings" but I didn't know it extended to or was attached to the seat pan. Thanks for pointing that out.

Archived