IGNORED

Zumo "Arrive Contiue" Waypoints??

Albert

I've started having some odd behavior using routes created in BaseCamp and downloaded to my Zumo 660. All the routes seem to come in normally but I now have random points on the route that are called "Arrive Continue". Their presence causes some strange things to happen while navigating. When the next turn point is one of these phantom points, the top green line on the Zumo goes blank and the distance to turn window (top let) disappears. When you get within a few miles of this point the voice prompt starts saying "In one mile" or "In point five miles". Once a regular waypoint is next everything goes back to normal. The real problem is if this phantom point is say 0.1 miles from a real point, there's no turn information displayed until you're on top of the point. I'm running Basecamp 4.2.2. Anyone see this before? Really frustrating.

Thanks DR, I think there's a bug somewhere with this. I recently updated BC and that seems to be when it started. I checked the Zumo forums and there's a little banter there about it too but no fix that I can find. I'm thinking I'll need to wait until the next BC update to resolve it.

Afternoon Al

You might try posting a little note to FALAGAR on the Garmin Base Camp forum. He will look into it & probably either help you or address it in the next version of Base Camp.

Steve Kolenda

Albert,

I have spoken to Garmin regarding this very problem and they asked for detailed information which I have sent them with absolutely no response. I have spent hours on hold on the phone and at this point I have given up and loaded an older version of BaseCamp. I have had their products for years and dread every time I have to call them. I am not aware of an equivalent product from another manufacturer.

Hi Steve,

Glad their at least aware of the problem. Here's what I found yesterday. If I pick a route and go into "Edit" there's an option to recalculate. I tried 2 routes that already contained the "arrive continue" points and, after recalculating for faster time, the points were gone. While this "may" work, it's not an acceptable solution. I've had routes that, after recalculation, don't follow the route as it was planned on the computer so it's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether you'll have the route you wanted. May work as a temporary fix though.

clip---- I've had routes that, after recalculation, don't follow the route as it was planned on the computer ---clip

Morning Al

That is a sign of an unstable route & one that can/will corrupt easily while in use. (especially if a complex or convoluted route)

A route that changes during re-calculation will usually work OK in older GPS units or things like the 60CSX that don't re-calculate upon route import.

Your 660 re-calculates each new route as it imports it. They will usually go in as planned but if it (the route) changed in re-calculate when using the original program (& mapping that it was made on) then it can easily do the same upon import.

Also keep in mind that your Zumo can, under some circumstance, do an auto re-calculate as you are riding the route when you miss a turn then backtrack, or reverse a route portion to get back on route, or even if part of the existing route closely parallels or tracks backwards along another existing leg of the route. It can do this with no re-calculate warning or indication on the Zumo screen.

This is what usually gives you that route that seemed to work OK while riding but when you get home & plug you ridden tracks over the original route there are some discrepancies or missed roads.

I ALWAYS do a re-calculation check before calling my route stable & trouble free. If it changes in re-calculation then I repair the areas that changed by adding another shaping point or moving an existing one.

Al,

Please don't read this as my being defensive about the RCR routes if you are indeed having problems with the RCR routes I put out. I'm just trying to inform ...

As DR says, changes after recalculation may indeed indicate that the route provided didn't have enough shaping points to reduce the likelihood of errors in recalculation. Personally, I used to put a ton of shaping points in my routes, but I have found doing hasn't prevented rerouting after bad recalculation. There are other causes of errors/glitches/rerouting after recalculation. Besides that, given the complexity of the routes guys like Ken and I provide, we quickly run into other difficulties with putting too many shaping points in a route.

- Incorrect recalculation often indicates that the users preferences are set to all highways, all avoidances turned on, shortest distance, etc. that even a bazillion shaping points may not result in a flawless recalculation.

- Not all maps accurately reflect what's hard pavement and dirt, so your device might not allow the route to follow the intended road.

Over the years I've learned that Ken is right, that it's better to simply advise people to do a comparison of a recalculated route to the original for each route provided/downloaded. It really is the only guarantee.

Oh yeah ... I further recomend setting your preferences to reflect the kind of riding you're going to be doing. For rides like RCR I recommend turning off all avoidances and make sure you're set not set to Prefer highways (towards minor roads). Of course that may affect your routes to and from the event, so you may need to recheck those.

The fact is ... there's no one-size fits all that can yield perfect routes for everyone.

DR ... do you agree or do I need to be informed?

Afternoon Craig

Yes, many things can effect re-calculation. Years ago I had an issue making a route go where I wanted it to (good as built but defaulted on re-cal).

I tried many things to shape it correctly & what I eventually found was I had "avoid toll roads" as an avoidance (ordinarily not an issue in my area as we have few). It turned out to be due to a river crossing with toll to cross it that I didn't know about.

In any case I do a lot of ride & route planning for my riding groups (both on road & off-road).

Best way I have found to get all on the same route & very same roads is to send the TRACK along with the route. I just tell the end users to stick the route in their Map Source or Base Camp & re-calculate it to their mapping. Then see how it stacks up against the TRACK.

A track is a track is a track & never changes even if the mapping the end user has doesn't have the same roads on it.

If their re-calculated route follows the supplied track than it should work for them.

If their re-calculated route doesn't follow the furnished track (exactly) then it is up to them to move or add shaping points or do whatever is necessary to get that route to religiously follow that track.

Problem with sending only a route is-- if the end used has a different map on their Base Camp or Map Source but it is a routable map it can change the route as opened to have it follow existing roads if the map that the route was made on contains a road that doesn't exist on the end users Base Camp or MapSource mapping.

For off-road I only send tracks as a lot of those routes are on trails not shown on normal routable mapping. Most if us use a track handling GPS for off road so no problems. For the few that try to ride off road with something like a Zumo it's up to them to try to make a route from the track that will not try to auto-route to the nearest existing routable roads (it can be done but it takes patience & through understanding of how to get a route into a Zumo

without the Zumo altering it).

That's exceptional advice about the tracks. I've been telling folks to go through comparing versions of the original. Sending the track is PERFECT. Thanks.

I'm going to make Tracks available this weekend. The event is next Thurs-Sun.

No never had a problem with any of your routes Craig. I'm running into this oddball "arrive continue" waypoint thing I mentioned earlier. You guys do bring up another possibility however. We just returned from a trip to FL where we were in the car. When the Zumo detects it's in the car cradle it prompts you to switch to the automobile profile (which I did). It's possible this was causing the anomaly as well. As for the lack of shaping points, there's no doubt I was guilty of this as I was simply putting point to point in and letting BC calculate the route so recalculation wasn't unexpected at all. The real issue with the "arrive continue" behavior is as described earlier. Thanks again guys.

Archived