IGNORED

Which mesh jacket?

Huzband

My four year old Tourmaster is literally falling apart, so I'm in the market for a new mesh jacket. I've narrowed it down to two, but I'm open to suggestions. Except Motoport. I ain't payin' $800 for a jacket. Here are my two choices in no order.

Alpinestars

Icon

I've tried on both locally & they fit well. I'm not sure I could get used to the left hand zipper on the Alpinestars, & I'm concerned I'll roast in the leather sleeves of the Icon, although I like the added protection.

I require a jacket to fit well. Not tight, room for a Gerbings, but not so loose it flops around without the liner. That was what I didn't like about the Tourmaster.

Give me options I haven't found yet.

Martin Bonadio

Take a look at the Rev'it line - Airwave, Levante, or Tornado depending on whether you want summer only or some 3 or 4 season protection....

I also give a +1 for Olympia.

Take a look at the Rev'it line - Airwave, Levante, or Tornado depending on whether you want summer only or some 3 or 4 season protection....

I also give a +1 for Olympia.

Part of the hard time I have is I don't like dealing with the internet. I'd rather try it on locally than have to deal with constantly sending something back. I neither have the time nor patience for that, & no one locally carries Rev'it. Although the reviews I've read are quite good.

We like our Olympias, Danny.

They have great reviews, but they don't fit the way I like. Thanks, though.

Did you play with all the straps and adjustments? You can snug them up a fair bit here and there.

Danny, I'm with ya about the Olympia jackets. They don't fit me well at all. My shoulders are too broad and my arms are too long for their cut. If I find one that fits my arms (XXL), I have enough room in the body to bring a friend. Nothing I have ever tried on has fit me correctly. So far, I have only been lucky with First Gear and BMW fitting properly right off the shelf.

I can't help much with a mesh jacket. I had a BMW airflow once upon a time. I never ended up wearing it. I always reached for my trusty old Savannah 2 jacket instead. I love that jacket and will be very upset when I need to retire it.

You are paying $800 for a jacket, you're just spreading it out over multiple jacket purchases. ;)

I like my Olympia, except the collar stitching keeps popping, I've had it resewn three times now. :/

I think I paid $350 for my Motoport back in the early 00's. And it's still my cool/cold weather jacket. In the interim, I've been through a bunch of cheap jackets, and that old Motoport is still waiting in my closet and ready to go.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Vanson Vent Max, maybe. It's all mesh but apparently much more robust than the Olympia/Tourmaster/Revit/First Gear stuff but not quite like Motoport kevlar. The testimonial of one guy crashing at over triple digits with minimal injuries can't be ignored. I just don't think it comes in bright colors.

My four year old Tourmaster is literally falling apart, so I'm in the market for a new mesh jacket. I've narrowed it down to two, but I'm open to suggestions. Except Motoport. I ain't payin' $800 for a jacket. Here are my two choices in no order.

Alpinestars

Icon

I've tried on both locally & they fit well. I'm not sure I could get used to the left hand zipper on the Alpinestars, & I'm concerned I'll roast in the leather sleeves of the Icon, although I like the added protection.

I require a jacket to fit well. Not tight, room for a Gerbings, but not so loose it flops around without the liner. That was what I didn't like about the Tourmaster.

Give me options I haven't found yet.

I recently bought a Rev'it Tornado HV florescent green summer mesh jacket. My needs might be different from yours. I wanted the lightest mesh I could find for the hot and humid riding in the south. I also wanted a jacket with as little black, and as much green as possible. The Rev'it has that, although it was $300+. Olympia makes a very nice similar jacket, but it had more black and less green than the Rev It. The jacket is very comfortable, material is more flexible than most mesh I've worn, and it's lightweight.

Martin Bonadio

Same here. In AZ at 110+ all summer I needed something that flowed air well and was comfortable and provided at least "some" protection. I went with the Rev'it Airwave for the summer. I often wear a cooling vest underneath. Works OK here since it's not that humid.

Cycle gear locally in AZ stocks Rev'it products sometimes, so I was able to get fitted before grabbing a nice used jacket on eBay for cheap!! Otherwise, I would have bought from Revzilla since they have great return and sizing policies.

Now pants on the other hand - I'm still frustrated with - I need a mesh overpant for my daily commute that is lightweight but has a liner that I can throw in in case it rains (yeah - it actually does rain from time to time in AZ!!).

Gloves - another sore point. I've yet to find a decent summer glove that fits my hand that isn't too heavy or too light! Still collecting a pile of brands and styles in my garage.

I'm happy with the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0

Joe Rocket fits me loose.

Maybe you should do a pushup once in a while... :rofl:

Seriously though... The JR stuff never fit me well.

I have had good luck with my Olympia Mesh suit, but it's worn after just 5 years of use.

Fieldsheer makes pretty good stuff and Helmet Shop in Dogtona carries it.

The Firstgear came in today & I went to try it on. Sleeves were borderline short, & chest fit like a barrel. ( I know, pushups. :grin: )

Went over & put the Alpinestars on for the third time, & realized it was perfect. Bingo!

Martin Bonadio

Good deal. Now go ride.

This thread resulted in my buying 2 new mesh Rev'it's on ebay (for pennies!) which I sold for a hefty profit (along with other Rev'it and Joe rocket mesh jackets) and I picked up a new BMW Airshell hi-viz. Made the mistake of trying it on at the local dealer and then found one online for a great price. I love swapping and upgrading!

Then decided my gloves and pants needed an upgrade too - so I bought a pair of Tourmaster Flex pants and a pair of Rev'it Fly gloves....

That should keep me contained for at least the next 2-3 weeks!

Cheers!!

Archived