IGNORED

Safe to ride with a broken tyre valve?

Scott Deakin

Scott Deakin

Hi All,

I have a little problem for which I would appreciate some sagely advice.

I recently broke the top of my rear tyre valve off (it was corroded on and I tackled it with some WD40 and a pair of pliers...). I am fully resigned to having the sensor replaced, but the issue is that my 'local' dealer is about 70 miles away. Should I just ride up there nice and slow?

broken_valve.JPG

dust_cap.JPG

Cheers,

Scott

Morning Scott

As long as that valve core stays in it would be safe to ride. Problem is, there can't be many threads left engaged as you have some showing above the broken stem.

If you ride it there be careful, & maybe have a backup plan in case that valve core decides to let go.

Might be better off to take the rear wheel off yourself then take that to the tire store.

vlvstm_zps0878db63.jpg

I agree with DR on this.......if it was me, I wouldn't trust it. Considering how easy it is to remove the rear wheel, I would pull the wheel and tote it to where ever it is you need to take it to have it fixed. The frustrating part is that the new sensor needs to be paired with your bike by the dealer computer. Which means two trips :P

I think I would order the sensor and take it somewhere more local to have it installed. Any tire shop or bike shop should be able to easily do it, or buy some tire irons and do it yourself. Then ride to the dealership at a later time to have it activated.

Scott Deakin

Thanks for the quick replies gents!

To begin with I was debating whether to pull the wheel and take it up in the car (2 trips total) or ride up slow (1 trip), but you have given me an idea with the suggestion of getting a local shop to fit the new valve first. I might just stick a standard rubber valve in there myself and then ride it up. Problem is I do not have a car (need to use the wife's) and I am stuck getting to work without the bike, so I can fix this today and get by until Rainbow has space for me.

Cheers,

Scott

Well of course it's unsafe. But it looks okay from here. I'd give it a shot. But then I've done lots dumber stuff too.....

(Disclaimer: This is not a suggestion that you do anything unsafe)

Scott Deakin
Well of course it's unsafe. But it looks okay from here. I'd give it a shot. But then I've done lots dumber stuff too.....

Me too... :) If I had not had a road space disagreement with a van a couple of months back I'd have happily ridden up the road without a second thought. I don't think my NCD can take a second hit though.

Thanks for the quick replies gents!

To begin with I was debating whether to pull the wheel and take it up in the car (2 trips total) or ride up slow (1 trip), but you have given me an idea with the suggestion of getting a local shop to fit the new valve first. I might just stick a standard rubber valve in there myself and then ride it up. Problem is I do not have a car (need to use the wife's) and I am stuck getting to work without the bike, so I can fix this today and get by until Rainbow has space for me.

Cheers,

Scott

1 trip? 2 trips? why risk it?

If it fails you will lose all air in a matter of seconds, possibly presenting you with a serious loss of control, which may result in a sudden acquaintance with the pavement.

Let's say it fails while at a stop light. How much time and cost would it represent? Tow truck to say the least...

Now let's say it fails at 40 MPH...

Know anyone with a trailer?

Saves the two trips even if you have to rent.

Otherwise get it replaced locally and visit dealer whn convenient to pair.

Good luck.

russell_bynum
The frustrating part is that the new sensor needs to be paired with your bike by the dealer computer. Which means two trips :P

TPMS rules.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I agree with DR on this.......if it was me, I wouldn't trust it. Considering how easy it is to remove the rear wheel, I would pull the wheel and tote it to where ever it is you need to take it to have it fixed. The frustrating part is that the new sensor needs to be paired with your bike by the dealer computer. Which means two trips :P

It might be possible to survive without TMPS until such time is it's actually convenient to make the second trip, e.g. when shopping for some other accessory or part, maybe a couple of months from now.

My wife got a Honda CR-V a couple of years ago, with (mandatory) TPMS. Before the first winter I bought a second set of rims and fitted them with snow tires. Those rims don't have pressure sensors, so the dashboard "TIRE ANGRY" indicator lights up for four months out of the year.

Nobody has died yet (though I understand it's just a matter of time).

My wife got a Honda CR-V a couple of years ago, with (mandatory) TPMS. Before the first winter I bought a second set of rims and fitted them with snow tires. Those rims don't have pressure sensors, so the dashboard "TIRE ANGRY" indicator lights up for four months out of the year.

A piece of black electrical tape will take care of the "tire angry" indicator until spring.

russell_bynum

It might be possible to survive without TMPS until such time is it's actually convenient to make the second trip, e.g. when shopping for some other accessory or part, maybe a couple of months from now.

Sinner.

Those rims don't have pressure sensors, so the dashboard "TIRE ANGRY" indicator lights up for four months out of the year.

A piece of black electrical tape will take care of the "tire angry" indicator until spring.

Will the tape help out on this death thing that Mitch was talking about too?

Those rims don't have pressure sensors, so the dashboard "TIRE ANGRY" indicator lights up for four months out of the year.

Will the tape help out on this death thing that Mitch was talking about too?

No, but at least you won't see it coming.

Same tape can be used for mourning too.

Scott Deakin

1 trip? 2 trips? why risk it?

If it fails you will lose all air in a matter of seconds, possibly presenting you with a serious loss of control, which may result in a sudden acquaintance with the pavement.

Let's say it fails while at a stop light. How much time and cost would it represent? Tow truck to say the least...

Now let's say it fails at 40 MPH...

So here is a a story. Many years ago when I still had my old faithful R1100RT, I got a new set of BT-020's after recommendations from others. The chap who fits them comes to the house and I just took the bike for a blast around the block to make sure all was well after (and it seemed so). Next morning I started out on my commute to work (mostly 100 miles south on the M1 to London). It was chucking it down and as I left the village I thought the new tyres were complete rubbish in the wet as the front felt bloody awful, but just figured it might be the release agent etc.. Noticed no real problems the rest of the way down, but it was drier near London and as I exited the motorway I felt the front go really vague around a sweeping bend (posted limit of 50, took it at about 70 if I recall). Stopped at the next lay-by and noticed that the front was flat - completely and utterly - nothing came out when I pressed the valve pin in. Fixed it with a crafty plugger and promptly forgot about it until about 4 months after when it was due changing and even then only after it had got taken off... Never quite knew what caused the puncture or when it occurred, but it let air out immediately when I tried to inflate it and had no debris in the hole. The tyres were the GT variety and when I got off the bike, the puncture was actually not so noticeable (maybe due to the the reinforced walls?)

Do you think the valve letting loose would have a significantly different effect, especially on the rear?

Anyhow, thanks for the all feedback guys. I have a new sensor and will take it up North (once) next week sometime if work permits.

Cheers,

Scott

Yup!

TPMS made mandatory by the folks that brought you taxation :rofl:

Amazing how we did without them both for all those years.... ;) !

Re the CR-V with TPMS: Yep, same as my '07. The extra cost of having four sensors installed on the winter wheels was just too much. I haven't resorted to the black tape yet and have learned to ignore the orange warning light (like the one on my R1200RT when I don't bring it in for scheduled service)

Worth noting for CR-V drivers is that when the TPMS alerts (as with no sensors) you cannot turn off the stability assist. Sometimes it's useful to turn it off to get un-stuck in snow. Guess I'll just pull the appropriate fuse if that ever happens. Ha! Technology can be defeated!

But on the OP's question, it doesn't look like a good idea to ride faster than about 10 mph with that thing. Might be OK 9 out of 10 times, but those adds aren't good on a two-wheeler.

p

Archived