IGNORED

Navigator lll removal

geoff kooris

geoff kooris

I've just acquired an '06 R1200RT, and I'd like to remove the Nav 3 bracket that's on there, put in a Centech panel, and use my Zumo 660 instead. The bike does not have audio, just this nav system. Is this a difficult thing to do?

Thanks,

Geoff

Depends on your skills and confidence!

My Nav 3 bracket was bolted on so it was easy to remove.

The Zumo, I used Ram mount to an existing screw hole on top of dash. I fabbed a re-inforcing bracket to assure it stayed there. That required removal of several panels to get to, and some custom bending and machining. And some machining of plastic to route the cable. I call that easy, but many would not.

My fuse box, I wired direct to battery with a relay triggered by a running light for the key off circuits.

geoff kooris

Thanks for the reply! The bracket itself is easy, I just don't know how the bracket is wired in, since the bike has no fuses. I guess my question really is how do I 'unplug' it from the wiring harness... Once that's done I have no prob adding a fuse panel and installing my zumo bracket, and wiring it to Centech panel I'll add.

I chose to not remove the Nav3 harness - just insulated the connector with a piece of heatshrink and tucked it away out of sight. Or did I have Nav 2? Anyway, it was a connector that was about a cubic inch and fit under fuel tank cover.

My experience is to "modify" CanBus systems as little as possible to minimize the risk of tripping up their little electronic minds. Cutting and insulating the GPS wires should not be a problem, but safely tucking it away is even less risky. And easier!

Then I ran a new dedicated power wire for the Zumo from the fuse block.

If you don't already have the Centech panel, check out Blue Sea Systems. They make some really slick fuse blocks for yachts that work well on bikes as well. I was able to fit one of these under the seat:

http://www.bluesea.com/products/5025/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_6_Circuits_with_Negative_Bus_and_Cover

Archived