IGNORED

Garmin Zumo 350 or 660? Worth it or Not So Good?

Michael B

Greetings all! I need to upgrade from an auto Nuvi to a bike Zumo. Putting out $650 to $699 is killing me...are either the 350 or 660 really worth it? If worth it, where is the best place to purchase one? Any bluetooth connectivity problems with either Zumo (have a Sena SMH-10)?

I need to download routes to a GPS but the Nuvi won't do it. I assume both the 350 and 660 will. What have you guys experienced on that, and from what program?

I've got M/S Streets & Trips 2013 and it just won't download to my Nuvi. What does everyone think of BaseCamp, a Garmin product?

I'm planning a 5-day bike trip in early October and could totally use some good answers to the above. Thanks for any help. Michael B

The bike gps units are weatherproof and you can download to them- and they have some other features that you may or may not like compared to the car models. If you transit unfamiliar urban areas, lane assist with exit view are handy on any gps.

Anyway, the 660 etc are getting a bit long in the tooth and many are expecting updates soon for them. Can't say I've used a 350 but I'd generally be biased to the newer models if you can afford the freight.

Base Camp it is these days though most think its a bit wacky in how it works. I still use Map Source, its predecessor, on my 550s, now almost obsolete but still get the job done. (They're so slow at position updates copared to new models that one can be on top of or a bit past a freeway exit lane before it shows that path- and it lacks the lane assist/view features and has way too little built in memory.

Some prefer the Garmin Montana for bike use, especially some of the GS crowd.

There are forums dedicated to gps issues and you should frequent those to help you up the learning curve.

To me, the most useful thing a gps does is getting me to home base / destination after a day of simply rambling around whatever roads suit my fancy. I use it less frequently to follow some route I've downloaded. No gps can give you the broad view paper maps do and usually have a suitable hardcopy map in the window of my tankbag to supplement the gps.

There are regrettably a whole bunch of routing/ downloading oddities you will have to learn about. Garmin has done a lousy job of developing standard and easy to use software for everything from map updates (generally take too long to be worthwhile on any frequent basis) to routing (non-intuitve programs with too many gotchas between models/versions). The more I know the less I want to be bothered with them. But then, I built my first pc in 1983 and have long since gotten over the kicks of playing with gadgets for amusement- these days I want working with absolute minimum effort as well as cost effective- many modern gadgets fail the latter test and aren't much more than overpriced toys.

I use a 665, much like the 660 but includes XM.

I like it for trips like you are going to do because i can listen to my music through ear buds ( mp3s loaded on an SD card) and the unit interrupts the music to warn me about up coming turns and lane changes. I can watch the road instead of the GPS.

I also use streets and trips to plan routes. Export the route as a gpx file. Plug the GPS into your pc and drag and drop the GPX file. When the Garmin restarts it imports your new route.

You can also add custom POIs. like BMW dealers and speed cameras.

I switched to Basecamp (for Mac) in 2010 after we went all-Mac in our house. Up to that point I had been using Mapsource. In my view -- after I got to know how to use it -- I think Basecamp is very good. Bear in mind that Basecamp for Mac is not quite the same as Basecamp for PC, and I'm only familiar with the Mac version. According to people who profess to know much more about these things than I do, Basecamp is really what you should be using with any of the newer Garmin GPSs. As far as bike-specific GPSs go, I use a Garmin Montana. I don't think you'd be disappointed with a Zumo. I'd go to Garmin's website and compare the two models of Zumo you're considering.

combatmmuter

i have not used either, but if you need to save some bucks, i came across a refurbished garmin ebay seller today. had good luck with a 2610 from a different dealer a few years ago. (that was tiger direct)

Can only comment on the 660 as that's what I have and I'm not sure of the 350 features. The 660 has Bluetooth if that's important to you. Connects nicely to your phone and provides on screen control of same. One big reason I chose the 660 is the media player (music). I was tired of using yet another device (iPod) for my music. With an SD card in my 660 I easily have all my music available and, again, it's handy to have touch screen control for it via the 660.

I use an auto Nuvi (1490 lmt) and it's easy to download routes from Map Source. Map Source is way easier to use than Base Camp, I don't want to try Base Camp until better directions come out on how it works. The Pashnit forums have some great discussions on downloading routes from either Base Camp or Map Source. My auto Nuvi has split view for confusing intersections, lifetime map updates and traffic. For slightly more than $100 from Amazon it's a great unit. And you don't have to be a beta tester for Base Camp.

The thing I have against auto gps units is that they are not water resistant. At least the ones that I looked at on Garmins site had a "NO" in the column for water resistance. I would also worry about the mount being able to hold the unit on a rough road.

The thing I have against auto gps units is that they are not water resistant. At least the ones that I looked at on Garmins site had a "NO" in the column for water resistance. I would also worry about the mount being able to hold the unit on a rough road.

The other problem with a non-moto GPS is that the screen may not be bright enough. With a RAM mount, stability of the mount is definitely not a problem. I have a Nuvi 255M, which cost about $70. I don't rely on the GPS for navigation all that much, and I mostly use it as a trip computer, so if it rains, I turn it off, and put it in my luggage. Other than the screen brightness (which isn't as much of an issue when it's in trip computer mode, rather than map display), it works fine with gloved hands. (Glare in photo is my fault, bad flash technique)

P1030581.JPG

Greetings all! I need to upgrade from an auto Nuvi to a bike Zumo. Putting out $650 to $699 is killing me...are either the 350 or 660 really worth it? If worth it, where is the best place to purchase one?

I use a 665 with XM (weather data and live radar on long trips...especially in tornado zones is awesome).

I wouldn't recommend anything outside the Zumo unless you case it up. I had a friend who used a regular automotive unit....worked great until a bit of gas sprayed on it...marred the plastic screen horribly.

There is a used 665 on the f800 forum here... F800Riders.Org at a very good price of $450.

One thing though, you'll need to eventually purchase map updates (lifetime map updates are not transferable when items are sold and re-activated online with Garmin).

Another option (mentioned briefly earlier) is the Garmin Montana. Has full road-routing abilities (even has a Nuvi clone mode that simulates the Nuvi/Zumo GUI if that's what you want.) It is fully waterproof and has a sunlight-readable display but it's biggest distinction is the ability to program different personalities available at the touch of a button, so very good for sharing between a dual-sport and road bike, use for hiking once you get to your destination, etc. (very multi-map friendly, supports and imports .gpx files, etc.) Also only $469. The main disadvantage is no MP3 or Bluetooth, if you use those (and I guess you do from the original post, but just noting it for completeness.)

Archived