IGNORED

gopro hero mounting alternatives? (vs top of helmet)

Doug 55

Working toward getting a GoPro Hero camera but I can't determine the best mounting location ...

Some folks just go 'fer it and put them on top of the helmet ... great camera views I'm sure but quite odd looking ...

Are there side of helmet options or?

Guest Kakugo

My Drift has a side of the helmet mount option. However I found the best location is a Ram mount on top of the clutch master reservoir:

DSCF0831.jpg

Not very clear picture but it's the only shot I have available right now.

I didn't think you were considering bike mounts. Here is the mount I use for a still camera taking interval shots on my K RS. It is using a ram mount over the clutch cover with a ball mount and then a long arm to a ball mount camera platform. It works really well and is very flexible for positioning. Sometimes I will catch the side of the shield in the picture for perspective, sometimes not. I also mounted a ball mount on my other bike and with a few twists, this will transfer to it in just minutes. So a few pictures showing the mount, showing how the camera is on the mount and a few pictures from this position with shield and w/o shield.

The bike mount is easy, unaffecting your ride, out of the way and works well. It does pick up more vibration. Even some of stills taken are jarred and blurred because of it. Also in tight places, the bike lean will move the focus of the camera to just pick up sky or ground. I am guessing here, that a helmet mount would always see basically what you are seeing. My son has one for his mtn biking and it does well with that. It is smoother than a bike mount for sure. I would also speculate that a side mount on the helmet would add some airflow discomfort by pulling the helmet to that side where a top mount wouldn't. I have seen some efforts of a chest/body mount but those were limited in positive results.

Hope this helps

NCS

dscf6130o.jpg

dscf6127q.jpg

dscf6072h.jpg

turn4g.jpg

imgp2196a.jpg

IMGP2331-X2.jpg

Thanks for the info and advice so far ...

I have a Contour (bought for the side mount aspect) but had a hard time getting it to reliably run on batteries and it seemed to have a fish-eye type effect on pictures (thought I saw Contour mounted on US Army helmets of troops *In *Combat though on a TV special)

I saw some info about Go Pro chest rig mounting and helmet "chin mount" but they all seem odd in various ways; wonder if I could fab my own helmet side mount and/or adapt one of the stock mounts for that?

PS / LOL, the Contour also suffered from MSS (Montana Syrup Syndrome) for a while ... I was trying to get it setup after breakfast at the 2011 Redlodge / Beartooth rally and a bit of syrup sticky left on the table migrated to the camera and did not want to fully clean off the camera :dopeslap:

Whoops, guess the answer would be a Helmet Side Mount as per below ... somehow my previous "research" :dopeslap: failed to discover this option

2013-08_GoPro%20side%20mount-S.jpg2013-08%20Homer%20D%27Oh-S.jpg

Thanks for the info and advice so far ...

I have a Contour (bought for the side mount aspect) but had a hard time getting it to reliably run on batteries and it seemed to have a fish-eye type effect on pictures (thought I saw Contour mounted on US Army helmets of troops *In *Combat though on a TV special)

I saw some info about Go Pro chest rig mounting and helmet "chin mount" but they all seem odd in various ways; wonder if I could fab my own helmet side mount and/or adapt one of the stock mounts for that?

PS / LOL, the Contour also suffered from MSS (Montana Syrup Syndrome) for a while ... I was trying to get it setup after breakfast at the 2011 Redlodge / Beartooth rally and a bit of syrup sticky left on the table migrated to the camera and did not want to fully clean off the camera :dopeslap:

I don't see a fisheye effect with my Contour and have not had problems running it for several hours.

For cleaning it, did you dunk it and scrub, it's safe to submerge the Contour for a bit.

Archived