IGNORED

A new perspective on tires

Fubar

Let's face it, our tires aren't cheap. Our bikes and all their associated parts are expensive. (I just priced a new rear shock, $400-1400. Ouch!)

But back to the tires. It could be a LOT worse. I just found out the details on the tires for the very expensive, very fast Bugatti Veyron. They last just 6,000 miles and a replacement set costs $17,000. (That's for the road tires, not the track ones.) That is not a typo.

Nearly $3 per mile for just the flipping tires! If you only got 2 mpg your fuel bill would still be less than the cost of new sneaks. Yikes!

Of course, if you can afford a multi-million dollar car, you won't sweat a - relatively - few shekels for new skins a few times a year.

But seriously, a new set of tires or a brand new motorcycle? That's a no-brainer for me.

John Bentall
Let's face it, our tires aren't cheap. Our bikes and all their associated parts are expensive. (I just priced a new rear shock, $400-1400. Ouch!)

But back to the tires. It could be a LOT worse. I just found out the details on the tires for the very expensive, very fast Bugatti Veyron. They last just 6,000 miles and a replacement set costs $17,000. (That's for the road tires, not the track ones.) That is not a typo.

Nearly $3 per mile for just the flipping tires! If you only got 2 mpg your fuel bill would still be less than the cost of new sneaks. Yikes!

Of course, if you can afford a multi-million dollar car, you won't sweat a - relatively - few shekels for new skins a few times a year.

But seriously, a new set of tires or a brand new motorcycle? That's a no-brainer for me.

Have you tried to get an insurance quotation? :)

Have you tried to get an insurance quotation? :)

Holy crap, I hadn't even thought of that!

I bet even the brake fluid is bespoke and probably made out of unicorn tears or narwhal placentas. Probably $8,000 a gallon or so.

There is excess, then there is the Veyron. I'm with Philby, the Veyron is off my list.

Only $4250 a piece for mounting, balancing, and disposal of old tires,

Sounds reasonable.

If I fit in one I'd be in line...

Some are starving in Africa and some are buying new tires for their Bugatti Veyron...

Probably the president for life of the same African country.

Guest Kakugo

You mean this car here?

DSCF1227_zps8804943e.jpg

And I saw a bunch of others on the road the same day, probably out to some meeting.

And you didn't mention every four tyre changes the wheels have to be tested and replaced as needed (replacements are 8000€ each).

And I don't want to think how much tyres for this baby are:

DSCF1018.jpg

And you didn't mention every four tyre changes the wheels have to be tested and replaced as needed (replacements are 8000€ each).

Wow, at current exchange rate, that's $10,667. Each. That is starting to make Ettore's baby seem a might pricey.

As for the McLaren, I doubt their tires are as expensive as it won't go as fast so they don't have to be as sturdy. (It's a better looking car, too.)

I tried to find an insurance quote online but the site didn't list Bugatti as a choice. Bentley & Rolls were there, though why not choose a SEAT if you can't get a Veyron?

I tried to find an insurance quote online but the site didn't list Bugatti as a choice.
I suspect owners are self-insured. Or it's part of some other very special insurance policy for all-risks coverage.

We have a client who insures high-worth individuals...their average auto policy premium is $50,000.

Archived