IGNORED

RT Mirrors?

Jimmy D

Would appreciate if anyone could give me some ideas on improving the stock R1200RT mirrors...

(Have to lift my arms or pull them in to see out of them)

Thanks Much!!!

jim

Installing GS or KRS mirrors to the RT handlebars is one way to do it. Up thru 2009 it's fairly easy. I understand the 2010-13 RT's are harder due to the new switch gear.

There are mirrors available for 2010 RT - you can probably see them at A&S, Sierra or some other on line dealer with a decent website. IIRC, they were pricey- a bit over $200.

But many of us do this- the stock mirrors don't work at all well especially with camping gear on the bike.

On my 2010 RT I installed the GS mirrors from the 2010 GS. They fit perfectly and worked like a charm. I think this was the single best improvement I made to the RT. Can't understand why BMW thinks having the mirrors behind the hand grips is effective.

I put a pair of these on my bar ends. Once adjusted and Loctited (blue) in place, they're outstanding and don't look out of place either. I did scrape the paint off the screw that holds the mount to the mirror back and filled the recessed screw with penetrating Loctite as I have heard folks who have had issues with the mirror coming loose from its housing. No problem over 2 yrs & 30K miles.

At some point (2010?) BMW changed the clamp that holds the brake and clutch levers to the handlebars, and they are no longer drilled and tapped for the GS, or other mirror stems. But you can get the parts needed to replace them and install the mirrors. As mentioned above, look on the websites of Bobs, MaxBMW, etc. I got the whole set-up (mirrors, adapters, rubber boots, replacement clamps) from Max. Not cheap, but the "lollipop" mirrors are a big improvement. I can see what's behind and have set the original mirrors to show what's beside me on the highway. Lots to look at. Not nuts for the appearance of the lollipops but 'form follows function", I guess.

BTW, personally I don't like bar-end mirrors. They are too far from normal line-of-sight. I considered the SAENG clamp-on spot mirrors, too, but like the results of my GS mirrors.

pete

2011 RT

+1

I got the whole set up from Max. You can find it all on the parts Fische on their website. Just change the top clamps on the switch gear and screw in the mirror stems.

Makes a world of difference, I just couldn't get used to the stock set up no matter how I adjusted the mirrors. The above bar set up is a big improvement!

Can't understand why BMW thinks having the mirrors behind the hand grips is effective.

I rode an R100RS for 28 years. R1200RT mirrors are the best I've ever had.

I fitted a pair of Wunderlich mirrors to my '06 R12RT. Finally, a clear view behind me, even two-up and fully loaded. Make sure you use a threadlocker, as the $10 nuts can loosen and fall off. You will need to file off a small amount of metal from inside the left mirror mounting hole, but be gentle as not much needs to be removed. http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8410053.html

Archived