IGNORED

GS 911 Impressions

Albert

Some of you may know I had an issue with a side stand switch recently on my RT that manifested itself in behavior that was not easily diagnosed (at least for me). The upshot was I convinced myself that I needed a GS 911 if I was going to adequately troubleshoot the problem. Since my nearest dealer is about 1.5 hours from home and I would need to have the bike transported to it, I felt the $300 price tag on the GS911 would be recouped if I could do my own repairs (yes, that's me rationalizing :grin: ).

I'll be the first to admit I'm somewhat of a gadget freak so it wasn't much of a hard sell. I know there's been some debate over whether the GS 911 is a "necessary" diagnostic tool and I'll say at the outset (doing my own maintenance over the last 55k miles without one), that no - it's NOT a necessity. But it's nice. I went with the lowest end option, the Enthusiast model, with no Blue Tooth (USB connection to my laptop only). After a simple software download and install the unit is ready to go. Then a simple hook up to the communication port on the RT and the info starts to flow.

A simple user interface lets you browse lots of data, both stored and real time. I immediately found a fault code registered for the side stand, which I had suspected. In addition, all the fault codes since the bike was new were stored. I had to replace a fuel pump controller as well as a rear wheel speed sensor in the past and these showed as previous codes that were no longer present. After replacing the side stand switch that code showed it was no longer present. As a final step I first stored a code report in a file for possible future reference (very easy to do with the GS911) and then cleared the codes.

Since the bike was due for service I decided to try one of the service features of the GS911 related to TB synchronization (here comes the controversy). The unit has the ability to zero out and hold the TB steppers while performing a TB synch. There's debate over whether this is a necessary step but I figured it certainly can't hurt. After a valve adjustment (almost none needed), I hooked up my Twinmax and followed the on screen procedure provided by the GS911 to go through TB lock and adjustment (again very simple).

Once things were buttoned back up I took a ride of around 150 miles to be sure the side stand issue was really corrected (it had taken a bit of riding to show up in the past). Almost immediately my "seat of the pants" feedback said "the bike seems to be running smoother than normal". Yes, perhaps I'd done a better valve adjustment than any of the others or a better synch than any of the others, certainly a possibility. Nonetheless, as the ride wore on I said to myself, "this feels really smooth". About half way through the ride I decided to see what the computer had to say about my gas mileage (I had filled up at the start and reset the BC). My riding had been everything from stop and go to 75-80 mph interstate riding. To my surprise, when I punched up the mpg, I saw something I've never seen in my 7 years of ownership of the RT - 50 mpg!! This figure remained despite returning home through downtown Pittburgh because of construction. To say I was surprised is an understatement. I had become quite used to seeing 42 to 44 mpg as my norm.

Now, did all this good stuff happen because I had a GS911? Probably not, but it's much easier to rationalize the cost now. :grin: I'm still discovering the things it can do (ESA calibration, Feul strip calibration, windshield calibration, etc., etc.). The company also provides regular software updates as new features become available via a simple download. In short, I'm a fan. If you like to do your own tinkering and, like me, you can rationalize the cost, I think you'll like it.

P.S. absolutely no affiliation with the makers of the GS911.

Thanks for the info Al. I've had two random check engine lights on my GS that have reset themselves on their own. The bike has always ran great. I've been meaning to purchase a GS911. It's good to read others positive experiences. It makes taking the $300 plunge a little easier :)

Another little feature that turned out to be kind of cool it the fault codes are stored along with the mileage when they occurred. This turned out to be quite interesting in the case of my side stand switch.

A few years ago I was crossing South Dakota heading home from the west. My bike started to exhibit the same "stumbling" behavior as it did during the RCR (but not as bad). My first impression in that case, as with this one, was bad gas. In reviewing the fault code history for the side stand switch there's a reference to mileage that had to have been from that time period. I suspect I was seeing the start of the problem back then.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Oh Al, admit it. It is worth just the gadget factor! Especially if you pull up near a bunch of Harley riders just to do a check as you pull out your laptop and a Starbucks coffee. :rofl:

Surprised at the mileage bump.....but it's a good surprise.

The GS911 is a great product and the community is lucky that it exists, else advanced owner maintenance of modern BMW motorcycles would be very difficult or impossible -- which in my case means I probably wouldn't own one. And they should have a model for the K1600 and wethead models available soon (these use a different physical interface so unfortunately the current GS911 models will not be compatible.)

Mine paid itself off shortly just in throttle body syncs.

I have to admit I'm just learning the ropes on the 1200 series bikes. Please explain how it would help with TB syncs? Is my Twinmax no longer the tool of choice for TB sync?

I have to admit I'm just learning the ropes on the 1200 series bikes. Please explain how it would help with TB syncs? Is my Twinmax no longer the tool of choice for TB sync?

Two different tools, two different purposes. The GS911 has the ability to put the throttle body mixture steppers in an optimal position (as noted this theoretically isn't really necessary however some report improvement when it is done) but you still need a Twinmax or other type of manometer/vacuum gauge to actually read manifold vacuum.

I've been wondering about getting a GS911 for my aging but trusty 2003 R1150RT but I wasn't sure how much useful data (relatively speaking) my older bike actually spews compared to the newer CanBus RTs.

Anyone found them valuable for older bikes?

I've been wondering about getting a GS911 for my aging but trusty 2003 R1150RT but I wasn't sure how much useful data (relatively speaking) my older bike actually spews compared to the newer CanBus RTs.

Exactly what I was wondering, but for my 1100RT.

Waiting for iOS interface capability.

They would like to support iOS but cannot due to Apple's imposed hardware and software restrictions. I don't think anyone there is holding their breath waiting for any cooperation from Apple, and I wouldn't either.

Exactly what I was wondering, but for my 1100RT.

For the R1100 series they are less useful. You can read and clear error codes but can't log realtime values or plot O2 sensor operation or log data to files for problem debugging. The limitations are because the Motronic ma 2.2 has enough computer power to run the bike but not enough to so that and report data.

For the R1150 Motronic MA 2.4, I find the GS-911 invaluable. Same for the R1200 and F800. In fact I wouldn't consider a GSW until a GS-911 is available.

There have been a dozen subtle r1150 problems that I've helped debug using the realtime data function. I currently have one that involves the start-up process. Below is the LC-1 mixture and GS-911 data that is being recorded during cold start. Without the data it would be hard to know that mixture and timing are interacting. You'd have to throw parts at the problem and guess.

leanprob1.jpg

Shiny Side Up

Is this thing hard to use - what I mean is are there any directions that will tell me what I'm looking at and what to do with the info?

I like the colors and lines but it's just colors and lines to me...

Ignorant in Illinois!

Is this thing hard to use - what I mean is are there any directions that will tell me what I'm looking at and what to do with the info?

I like the colors and lines but it's just colors and lines to me...

Ignorant in Illinois!

Easy to use and as simple or as detailed as you want. The colored lines are moment by moment sensor data. Sometimes the only way you can find a problem without throwing parts at the problem. For example, follow the red battery voltage line from left to right. You can see it dip, but only slightly while starting, and then step higher as the alternator comes online.

There is a new version of the GS-911 coming late his year or early next which will have support for the wethead and the 6 with WiFi capability.

For those with current or older bikes, I'd bet this will put a few of the older units on the market at a reduced price as owners of the newer bikes upgrade there versions- which apparently will be at full cost as there is no trade in program planned.

I bought one to help diagnose an ABS problem still working on that problem and I am discovering all that is can do. There is lots of good info on the GS911 website.

Another thing about the GS911 is that there is a smart phone app for it if you buy the bluetooth capable model. It does not give you all the bells and whistles but it is useful on the road to diagnose certain things.

For me it was worth the money

Archived