IGNORED

RT 1100 key

mikeyl

Dealer

Yup. No electrickery hidden in the 1100 RT key. No sensor chip, no alarm disabler, nuttin. It's been a while since I bought one, but I'm guessing key blank and cut should set you back about $15-20. Or you can probably get one at Home Depot (of course, it won't be "official BMW") for half of that or less.

I have a spare BMW key kept in the house, and two Home Depot-sourced spare keys hidden on the bike (just in case I forget where one of them is. . .I ain't no spring chicken any more). Uh, might have been Lowes or maybe a locksmith. I forget.

The key section at ACE hardware made me multiple ignition keys for 1100RT and GIVI trunk keys. All they need is to have the blanks.

Shiny Side Up

I had one made at a local lock company. They make keys, sell door locks, etc.

I was a little surprised they had a blank that would work, but they make keys for Yamaha's, Honda's, Suzuki's and others.

Cost me $3.50 ea.

The RT takes a plain BMW car Blake. The lock shop did not have a rubberized key so I had an all metal one made. He said he'd cut me one if I brought in a rubberized blank. So I ordered two rubberized ones from fleabay that ill take back for him to cut.

Interesting note is one local lock shop said they won't even cut BMW keys! Probably cause they think they are all chipped?

FYI: The Key Blanks for ACE hardware for my 97 R1100RT are: Bike - BMW2P and for the Givi Trunk - TR37.

The brand of the blanks is HY-KO.

Nothing special about these keys except finding the blanks. I have extra keys stashed everywhere.

I'll now have four keys and one will be hidden on my bike in a Hideakey box. No way I want to be on a trip and lose a key, then try to Hotwire or even remove the ignition, as its got a fasteners that aren't even torx heads. It'll be a beast to get it off in a garage, never mind the parking lot.

Shiny Side Up
Pop your mirror and tape a key inside. No tools necessary!

Well - so much for my "secret" hiding place!

Now the NSA will blab this to the world...

Archived