IGNORED

Metzeler tires

dave sawyer

At this weekends Sherando Rally I won the door prize for a set of Metzeler tires. Hold the applause please.

I usually use Michlin Road tires so I don't have much experience with Metezlers except the older Z4's which had good stick but short life.

Would the group help me pick my prize, please?

97 RT 120/70ZR17 front, 160/60ZR18 rear.

Make sure you replace them before you think they look worn out.

metz_Z8.jpg

This ride rode 400 miles after looking at his tire in the morning and thought it looked good then.

I would be interested to know how many miles you had on that tire?

I'm also calling Mortan's BMW today to order a set of Z8's. They were dealer kind enough to donate the tires.

As an aside, on the way to the rally I had a short stint on a freshly chip sealed road and picked up a rock that caused a slow leak which I had to plug. Guess I,m just lucky or living right to have won the tires.

Thanks for the input.

• 4 weeks later...

The same thing happened to me. I was out west a couple of weeks ago. Started the day with tires that looked just fine and finished the day (only 250 miles) with cord showing through in the center of the rear tire. A dealer service guy looked them over prior to the trip and said they were fine and should easily last another 3-4000 miles. My riding buddy has had the same thing happen twice with Metzlers. Looking good in the morning followed by "oh crap, I can't believe I rode on that tire all day."

I love the way Metzlers ride but switched to Michelins.

By the way, my tires had about 5000 miles on them.

I haven't tried the z8s, but I got almost 14k on my last set of z6s - no joke.

I was happy with them, but I wanted to try something new - just 'cause, really - and that's the only reason I went with Pilot Roads instead.

I sold my 2003 1150RT last year to a guy who was new to BMW and wanted to do some touring. It had a set of Metzeler Z6 Interacts on it with about 4k miles. The bike was serviced and ready to ride. He began a long tour when he left my driveway. A few weeks later he called me and told me the tread was looking a little thin and did I think he needed new tires. By that time they had well over 13k on them.

Hey Dave. My RT came with Z6's. I subsequently went through two sets of Z8's and then switched to PR3's. I'm getting more wear from the PR3's but I thought the Z8's were excellent tires. I got between 12-13k miles on a set. I'm getting 16k on the PR3's but most of my riding is commuting on the freeway. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I've got 55k on my 2011 and have tried several different tires.

Best I had were Z6 Interact, they lasted nearly 12k.

I ride a fairly rough road with a coarse asphalt surface and lots of patches 70 miles a day to work and back, so it's hard on tires. I'm no Kenny Rogers on the curves but for being 67 I still have a fair measure of fun. And I like the throttle.

Anyway, when I couldn't find Z6 Interacts I tried the Z8's. It well may be partly my fault for running them maybe a couple pounds lower than most folks, which I've since corrected, but they wore unevely and lasted barely 8k. Tried plain Z6's with mixed results. Front did great with at least 12k but the rear lasted only 6k, running the higher pressure.

Wish I could find Z6 Interacts!

I find it strange that the seemingly the only two criteria used are performance and longevity. As the ad states, "there is a lot riding on your tires" so I am going to add safety. For me, if I need to pick between safety vs. longevity, it will be safety hands down (no pun intended). I like Metzlers because of the grip and I feel in control of the bike. Granted I base this on my one time use of PR2s and so it might not be completely fair. That said, I will not go back to PR__s just for the grip and safety factor. I am sure on other bikes with other riders their experience is different and they for their reasons will not use Metzlers and that is fine. I just know what works for me and is most important to me.

Archived