IGNORED

When did the boxer engine change

RAMBLIN RED

A quick and easy way to spot the difference is the plug wires and number of bolts on the valve cover. 4 on the 09 & 2 on the 10.

2009-BMW-R1200GS.jpg

BMW-R1200-GS.jpg

Pat

"It changed from pushrods to overhead cam, more to the point."

Actually, since you don't adjust the cams, this is NOT more to the point. :wave:

If you open up the valve cover, expecting to adjust the valves with your little screwdriver and box wrench, the type of cams is kinda meaningless. Also meaningless at that moment are the types of oil, the amount of air in your tires, and how many speeds the gearbox has.

BTW - the hemispherical shims are easily adjusted if you have a sufficiently large hammer and a very hard surface to work on. But it takes a very deft touch.

[Please note that this comment was made in a humourous vein, and not meant to offend anyone.]

"It changed from pushrods to overhead cam, more to the point."

Actually, since you don't adjust the cams, this is NOT more to the point. :wave:

If you open up the valve cover, expecting to adjust the valves with your little screwdriver and box wrench, the type of cams is kinda meaningless. Also meaningless at that moment are the types of oil, the amount of air in your tires, and how many speeds the gearbox has.

BTW - the hemispherical shims are easily adjusted if you have a sufficiently large hammer and a very hard surface to work on. But it takes a very deft touch.

[Please note that this comment was made in a humourous vein, and not meant to offend anyone.]

Nevertheless it's BS.

It changed from pushrods to overhead cam, more to the point.

Thanks to all, but my interest is continuing my home maintenence. I can handle the screw type adj. but with dealers so far away I don't want the hassle of shims, no matter how infrequently they need attention. So I'm saving my pennies for something from 2007 to 2009. I would prefer not to have the servo assist brakes used to 2006 and I'm still scratching my head about no drain plug on the FD in 2005-06. As always, I'm eager for good advice

Dennis

Archived