IGNORED

Pro Shell vs Performance Shell Gore Tex

I am on the market for a new jacket-trouser combo and I have discovered materials have moved on in the seven and a half year I have bought my last one.

Good quality Gore Tex seems to be divided nowadays between Performance Shell and Pro Shell. By perusing the Gore-Tex website and having a look at prices, it appears Pro Shell is the top of the line product... with a price tag to match! :dopeslap:

So far I have been satisfied with plain old Gore-Tex but I am wondering if Pro Shell is really worth the top money.

Will I be equally satisfied with the cheaper Performance Shell or will I be buying an inferior product to my old ancient Gore-Tex suit?

Thanks.

I will answer your question with another.

Have you ever arrived at your destination wishing that you had worn a second, waterproof over-suit over your riding jacket/pants?

If the answer is yes (even if it is only the drying out time), then a Pro-Shell suit, where the Goretex is bonded to the outer Cordura, would be the answer to that issue of rain soaking into the jacker.

If no, then a Goretex or similar membrane in the traditional Z-liner construction like your current suit should keep you perfectly happy.

Don't forget that, because of the price barrier, 98% of motorcyclists have textile rain suits with the traditional Z-liner construction.

The first ever waterproof jacket that I bought 12 years ago was Pro-Shell construction (50% sale reduction :/ ) and I have been sticking to it ever since.

Hope this helps,

John

malcolmblalock

I am not sure, but I believe the fabric in Aerostich's Roadcrafter has the Gore-Tex bonded to it. It definitely doesn't leak through the fabric. Maybe that's one reason why the suits are so expensive?

Thanks for the replies.

I have been spurred to ask the question because I was about to buy another Hein Gericke Master suit but noticed they completely eliminated Pro Shell from their offering... while keeping the same prices. :P

I am happy with plain old Gore-Tex but if I can get an upgrade for a reasonable price... why not?

PS: I still have somewhere the very first Gore-Tex motorcycle jacket ever mass marketed... must be at least twenty years old. That thing was a damn oven... it's incredible how far the material has come since then!

The difference between Gore-Tex and Pro-shell Gore-Tex is that the Pro-shell is supposed to be more breathable. It is used principally in outdoor clothing such as cycling and running gear.

If water-proofness is your main concern, regular Gore-Tex is fine. The manufacturers decide whether they want it bonded directly to the outer fabric or as part of a drop liner. Either way, it has to meet Gore's waterproof guarantee.

Hi,

The 100th Anniversary edition of Motorrad (17/2013) compared high-end suits and Dane came out well. Even BMW have all-but-stopped using Gore material because it is too expensive. They find the folks at Schoeller more friendly and helpful.

I was lucky to land a pair of HG Master V pants at a 75% discount at a bike show last year.

Good luck with choosing!

John

Hi,

The 100th Anniversary edition of Motorrad (17/2013) compared high-end suits and Dane came out well. Even BMW have all-but-stopped using Gore material because it is too expensive. They find the folks at Schoeller more friendly and helpful.

I was lucky to land a pair of HG Master V pants at a 75% discount at a bike show last year.

Good luck with choosing!

John

If weather holds up I plan to take a ride to Munich later this week to see what's available. The place's literally chocked full with bike gear shops.

If weather doesn't hold up... the old Master IV will have to soldier on.

I must confess I've never seen Dane products on the road. Pretty much like Stadler they seem to be top quality but rarer than hen's teeth.

Hi,

Good luck with choosing!

John

If weather holds up I plan to take a ride to Munich later this week to see what's available. The place's literally chocked full with bike gear shops.

I must confess I've never seen Dane products on the road. Pretty much like Stadler they seem to be top quality but rarer than hen's teeth.

Detlev Louis in Pasing has a huge selection including various Rukka. It is pouring with rain here near Fussen.

Hi,

Good luck with choosing!

John

Detlev Louis in Pasing has a huge selection including various Rukka. It is pouring with rain here near Fussen.

Well last Thursday evening I got an email from a friend in Munich advising me against going because of the weather, so I stayed home. :P

I put the purchase off for the moment and got me a pair of brand new Gore-Tex boots instead.

Thanks again for the advice!

PS: if anyone has a source for Dane clothing, let me know. Went to their site and was intrigued by a few models.

Archived