IGNORED

Need to reassemble lower part of top case--HELP!!! Urgent!

05RT

Sorry for the dramatic title. My RT is sold and I need to deliver it 170 miles away tomorrow morning. Doofus that I am, I decided yesterday would be a good time to try to align the side latches so the top would rest flush on both sides. ARGHH!!! Had no idea what I was getting myself into.

I figured out what was causing the issue, now I think I'm ready to put it all back but where do the two gears go?? See attached. I've been googling and haven't found a pictorial. Even the online parts fiche doesn't cover the 'lower part' of the 49L box.

TIA!

05rtwtf.JPG

I figured out where the gears are supposed to be, everything looks like it'll work as it should. But I aborted my effort to reassemble the thing at 1am, with a one-finger salute to whoever over-engineered this thing. The inner shell that fits into the the outer shell (shown), well, they just don't want to mate without some serious finagling (and force), thus spilling the mechanism's guts into the "basement", every time.

There must be a method that I should follow, though even the BMW dealer wished me luck and said it's probably the nastiest job they ever do. If anyone's done this and learned a trick or two, please chime in! I'll owe you a beer or two.

OFFER: $100 to anyone local who can get the two pieces of the lower deck together for me. Everything's working now, the gear assembly is rebuilt and tight, nothing's missing. I just can't deal with this thing anymore.

PLEASE. HELP.

I think you're right Pat. Even the local Motorrad dealer admitted that he had a mechanic "give up" trying to do this. The frustrating thing is that it's pretty simple to see what needs to happen. Getting it to assemble without forcing and breaking it, is a different story.

PLEASE. HELP.

I did mine with the base on the rear rack of the bike. Otherwise it's too hard to keep everything lined up and stable without it flopping about or tipping over.

It took me twice to get it right though - the first time the locking lugs wouldn't extend as far back as they did before I took it apart so it didn't stay locked to the luggage rack. Had to take it apart and manually slide the locking lugs into position (which run on the gear/notched rails inside) a second time to get it to fit right again. So make sure you only attach a couple of the screws inside before testing it so you don't have to take all of them out again. :)

Thanks Jim, that makes sense. The bike is sold and it's 4+ hours away, but I'll arrange to take the box there and assemble it at the new owner's place. You're right that should make it less of a crapshoot.

Archived