IGNORED

How do You Lock Your Helmet Up

gmcjetpilot

I know hooks under seat are suppose to be helmet locks, but they are

useless to me. May be I am not using them correctly? My strap is too

short to reach with side bag on, while still allowing seat to be

reinstalled. Also I greatly dislike having to pull the seat up to hook

up the helmet; even if it did work I would not be inclined to use it.

My used bike came with a Master Lock 3-Foot Retractable Cable Lock

model #4605D in the glove box. It looks like a kid could pick it in 30

seconds or just break it, but better than nothing. I use it with cable

through full coverage modular helmet's face opening, verses the "D"

rings. People will cut those just to be jerks.

3-digit-luggage-lock-with-1-1-meter-retractable-cable_jicioz1322635613418.jpg

I made up a couple of 1/8" cables, about 30" long, with loops on each end. I loop one end through the chinbar of my full face, then through the sleeve of my jacket. The other loop goes on the underseat hook. I can do 2 helmets and jackets on a single cable, if need be. Works great, and takes little room in my tank bag.

When we aren't on a longer trip, we can fit our helmets in the top boxes of our RTs. When that is not possible, and I don't want to leave them on the ground next to the bike, we use a cable lock like the one on your photo. Like you, I figure it will keep someone from simply grabbing the helmets and walking away. Although, I don't know why anyone would want someone else's used helmet...

My used bike came with one of those dual helmet locks that mount behind the license plate (I've forgotten the brand name). Not all that secure, I suppose, but good enough to keep people honest for a short stop. Also useful, when leaving the lock open, as a hook to hang the helmet on while I get the rest of my gear on or off. It's the only place on a bike I've ever put a helmet that I've never had it fall off of. I'll sometimes use a retractable cable lock like that to lock my jacket or suit to the bike, if the bags are full or not mounted.

For a long stop, especially if the bike will be out of sight, I always take my helmet with me, since loss of a helmet is generally a trip-ender. But I don't generally do things like parking the bike and going for a hike.

I use a big carabiner to hook the d-rings on the helmet to the luggage rack. I hate seeing helmets bounce off parking lots (and I don't like to set it on the ground). I also carry a few bike cables and a set of 3 master locks all keyed to the same key. I run one around rack and the chin bar when I am out of site. I use the other two on my jacket, through the sleeves. Helps keep folks honest. Have not had one stolen, but, since I need it to go home, if I don't carry it in, I lock it.

That's like what I do with a new garden hose... Wrap some tape at various places to make it look like it's an old leaky thing.

But seriously, if I am worried about theft, I leave the helmet in the top box without locking it because it does not quite fit.

While I wouldn't leave my lid hanging on the bike overnight in a motel parking lot, I never worry about it in my daily ramblings or while I'm on the road. It has never been a problem and I don't choose to be paranoid about theft of my riding gear. I've often left my riding gear with my bike at a trailhead while I went off for a hike for a few hours. Call me naive but theft has not been a problem for me for many years of cross country riding. I guess I've been lucky so far or maybe people are better than some give them credit for.

To the underside of the rear rack, I have installed 2 BMW helmet locks from an 1150 GS.

BMW part number:

They are keyed up to work on the same key as the ignition.

However, truth be told, I just clip the helmets together an leave them on the bike.

I actually don't worry as much about theft as the possibility of unsanctioned "Additions" to my helmet. When I secure it on the bike, I do so in a fashion so that the helmet remains right side up.

Otherwise, some miscreant may be tempted to use it as a spittoon or a toilet.

Same here Barry. Sometimes I even forget to remove the Key from the ignition. Last week I was off on a hike and realized I had the Key in the ignition, Helmet on the Dash, jacket with wallet thrown over the seat....

Thanks for the replies.... First I am not paranoid... but as they say:

"It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you." :grin:

Yes I agree, not to worry, but common sense prevails. Sure I'll

bring helmet into the motel room overnight. At bike night I hang it

off the right foot peg, thrown jacket over the bike. However I

had to run a mission to a big very busy Wal-Mart. I had my dead

car battery on the back of the bike. The battery died very

suddenly and would not take a charge. I had to haul the battery into

the store, didn't want to carry the helmet in as well, but I didn't

want to leave it there for someone to walk off with, mostly for the

reason above, I'd be stuck and not able to ride home (safely/legally).

Not the least of which to replace it is many hundred's. The jacket

went into the side bag, another few hundred.

BMW motorcycles I have heard are supposed to rarely be stolen?

I don't know if that is true, but suspect the latest crotch rockets,

Harley's and other bikes are more in demand by thief's. My Suzuki 1983

GS1100 was stolen long ago.... I was a poor college student, and I had

no insurance. Even if it's unlikely I still am not leaving key in ignition.

My $700 helmet has $400 worth of Bluetooth receiver attached to it. It's out of sight either in a saddlebag or the top box or I take it with me.

But mostly I don't want to have to ride anywhere helmetless.

To the underside of the rear rack, I have installed 2 BMW helmet locks from an 1150 GS.

BMW part number:

They are keyed up to work on the same key as the ignition.

However, truth be told, I just clip the helmets together an leave them on the bike.

Andy, this sounds like what I've been looking for.

Any chance you could post a photo of your installation?

Andy, this sounds like what I've been looking for.

Any chance you could post a photo of your installation?

Sure

As soon as I get a moment and a camera, I'll take a few shots.

I never have locked up my helmet. Of course it is a very bright yellow with reflective stickers on it and the inside could close a sewer inspectors lungs for good. No I do wash the inside occasionally. The helmet is now about 9 years old and other than cleaning, painting, and visors it has been a good one.

I use a cable gun lock through the chin bar on the helmet and onto the luggage rack or some other solid part on the motorcycle. I turn the helmet up and then close the visor as much as possible. If I plan to leave my motorcycle for a while or outside a motel I put my cover on. I believe that a covered motorcycle is less interesting to everyone and that is fine with me. I have been doing it this way since 1978 and haven't had a problem yet. :wave

We use a bicycle cable lock that has a combination lock on it...something like this. Travels well, easy to setup, and no keys to lose.

Also..in my opinion a 9-year old helmet should probably be replaced for 2 reasons: (1) there is probably better and lighter protection available now and (2) many helmet materials can become less effective as they age/dry and become more brittle. Some safety guides, such as the MSF , recommend a replacement every 5 years.

I use a similar cable lock on my C3 Schuberth with the SRC bluetooth system. My helmet has reflective cow (a Vermont thing), Snake and Dragon stickers on it which make it stand out and probably discourages theft. I use this for short stops when I'm fully packed for camping and touring, otherwise the helmet fits in the side case on my RT. Oddly enough, I did have an experience where I had my jacket and helmet locked up with one of these and the combination lock stuck and wouldn't respond to the combination and I had to break in myself in order to continue traveling. The cable on these are reasonably tough to discourage most people and it took about 5 minutes of concentrated effort with the wire cutter on my needle nose pliers in my tool kit to free my helmet and jacket. At first I was grateful that I could get my stuff so I could move on, then angry thinking the lock was substandard, then purchased another one, thinking that I really only wanted this for short stops to discourage casual thieves and I did take some comfort in the knowledge that if the combination malfunctions, I can break it myself if necessary on the road. The truth is that most devices of this kind are not going to stop a professional thief with the right equipment for the job. I think if your helmet has identifying stickers it deters them anyway. I think this lock pretty much deters the casual impulse thief at rest stops pretty well.....I think once they see the combination device and the stickers on the helmet they change their mind and move on.

Archived