IGNORED

Sena SMH10 bluetooth communicator

Doug_Baliko

I just read an article in the latest Motorcycle Consumer News that compared Bluetooth communicators. I have always stayed away from these because the audio quality was so crappy compared to my custom molded earbuds. However, I just bought a '12 RT with the radio option as well as Bluetooth capability, so I now have the capability of Bluetooth music.

In the article they say that the Sena has the capability to forego the in helmet speakers and plug ear buds into the unit using a 3.5mm plug, giving it the ability to offer ear bud quality audio. Has anyone used this system? Does it work? I'm thinking that instead of going to he trouble of hard wiring a 3.5mm jack into the RT's audio system I should consider this option?

Doug

I use that set up with Arizona Al's ear buds. Works well, how ever mine is 2 seasons old now and the Sena I have does have a major weak spot. The jack sticks straight back from the helmet clamp and when the ear bud wire is attached it can easily bend and crack as the wire will tend to pull down and forward on the connection. I noticed this within 2 -3 rides after getting the unit. I placed a shrink wrap tube over the crack (it had not damaged the wire inside yet) and twist tied the connection to the comm port on the side of my Nolan helmet. Now that it is stable I have had no further issues.

And to be clear, the standard clamp that holds the unit onto the helmet uses speakers. If you want to plug in ear buds, you need to buy a separate clamp that has the ear bud connection instead of the speakers. But it isn't too expensive. At least, that is how it was when we got ours.

I have a Sena with the earbud clamp and have been using it that way for about two years and about 20k miles. I use custom molded plugs from Earfuze.com. It works very well for me. I haven't had any issues, and I am very happy with the setup.

As it was noted earlier, I had to buy the earbud helmet clamp separate from the original kit. I think it was about $30 or so.

I have the "optional" ear bud mount for my SMH 10. I use both. For casual riding I use the in helmet speakers most of the time. They work well enough especially for talking to wife and son via intercom.

The ability to use the ear buds is really nice if you enjoy listening to music. There is NO comparison to sound quality. Just use a quality earbud of your choice.

The only complaint I have is that it is very hard to plug in the earbuds to the SMH 10. Obviously you cannot see where to plug it in. A short cord extender that would allow you to see the end and plug the earbud cord to it would be VERY nice.

I have the option mount as well that lets me plug in any headphones. I've been riding a little more than a year with Shure SE215 ear buds. The foam blocks out a lot of road/wind noise, and I can hear music or pod casts really well.

I've only used the SMH 10 a couple of times for bike to bike coms, but I've been REALLY impressed with it. The audio quality bike to bike (or rider to passenger) is really good. The straight line distance is good for what it is, and the battery life is fantastic.

When I rode out to the UN in 2012, the SMH10 was on and streaming music from my phone 9-10 hours a day. I recharged the SMH10 daily, but didn't run out of battery during the day. My phone battery will run out before the SMH10 does.

One thing you will want to do if you have the optional adapter. Get some kind of velcro to stick the headphone jack dongle to the side of your helmet. I found that it can flap around in the breeze, and wear out the jacket the wire is in and cause it to short out.

I use that set up with Arizona Al's ear buds. Works well, how ever mine is 2 seasons old now and the Sena I have does have a major weak spot. The jack sticks straight back from the helmet clamp and when the ear bud wire is attached it can easily bend and crack as the wire will tend to pull down and forward on the connection. I noticed this within 2 -3 rides after getting the unit. I placed a shrink wrap tube over the crack (it had not damaged the wire inside yet) and twist tied the connection to the comm port on the side of my Nolan helmet. Now that it is stable I have had no further issues.

Someone on the Revzilla website said that they used this stuff to strengthen the 3.5mm jack connection on the Sena unit:

http://sugru.com/

Doug

On the Sena website I see that the earbud clamps already come with a coiled extension cord for the 3.5mm plug. Is that a new addition to those kits (to all you veteran users) or are we talking about something different?

On the flip side I have read where people complain that this coiled cord is too long - considering that most earbuds already have a generous cord length - folks looking for earbuds with a shorter cord length. Can't please everyone, I guess.

On the Sena website I see that the earbud clamps already come with a coiled extension cord for the 3.5mm plug. Is that a new addition to those kits (to all you veteran users) or are we talking about something different?

On the flip side I have read where people complain that this coiled cord is too long - considering that most earbuds already have a generous cord length - folks looking for earbuds with a shorter cord length. Can't please everyone, I guess.

Its not a new edition. I have a first generation Sena unit, and bought the earbud clamp as soon as it was released. It came with the coiled headphone extension cable. In my case, my earbuds stay in the left chest pocket of my jacket. The majority of my earbuds cord stays coiled up in there with just the ear buds and the 3.5mm jack hanging out under the closing flap. If I didn't do that, the length combination of the coiled extension cord and the earbud cord would be a PITA to deal with. As it is, it works well for me. Every once in awhile I think the coiled extension cord is too long, but there are other times I remove my helmet and set it on the bike when stopped. Its nice to have that extra length available so i don't have to disconnect anything. The only negative I have is when I get back on the highway after a gas stop and realize I forgot to connect my earbuds to the extension cord. It takes some talent to get those suckers connected one handed at highway speed :grin:

Archived